Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short range rifle targets

One stage at my local club had a no shoot with a hole cut into the center chest for a clay, you had to shoot the clay out without shooting the no shoot, It was a great test of skill and placing a shot correctly. Suprisingly only about 5-6 people hit the no shoot. It was more mental than anything.

We had this set up at our last match, was a great challenge! The only problem was that we needed a spotter to call off "Hits" as the .223 didn't always break the clays. I believe it was worth it as it was a "Mental/Psych" situation that really could slow you down if ya "thought" too much.

If you hang the clay, it will have actually break more often than using a holder of some sort. We just put ours up with a strip of tape and staple the tape to a wooden backboard or to a paper target.

jj

We used 2 paper targets stapled together. (Nice work Jeff) The thickness of both held the clay quiet well. No failures that I heard of during the whole match.

You can use a pen to circle the clay to get the non-scoring area on the no shoot, we did it more simply, and said anythign that tocuhed the clay didn't count as a no-shoot.

• 2 weeks later...

One stage at my local club had a no shoot with a hole cut into the center chest for a clay, you had to shoot the clay out without shooting the no shoot, It was a great test of skill and placing a shot correctly. Suprisingly only about 5-6 people hit the no shoot. It was more mental than anything.

We had this set up at our last match, was a great challenge! The only problem was that we needed a spotter to call off "Hits" as the .223 didn't always break the clays. I believe it was worth it as it was a "Mental/Psych" situation that really could slow you down if ya "thought" too much.

In order to qualify locally with the Sheriff's Office, we had to successfully hit 2 targets at 80 yards with iron sights.

Challenge, heck yeah. Impossible, NOPE. This fat kid (at the time) did it with someone elses rifle using only a sling and car for support.

I am using a lot of ideas from this topic. I have the trouble of having only one long range bay, and taping 200 yard paper between shooters is a PITA unless you have a 4-wheeler.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

One of my ideas is to cut out the A zone on a no-shoot and cover a standard paper target. Place a 40 yards, 2 hits on paper. Good times to be had by all!

Jason Klein

This is a seriously awesome idea. I WILL be using this. :devil:

Thanks, they will either love it in a twisted sort of way or hate it with a passion. Good luck.

Hey Jason, they did your idea several years ago at a great 3g match in Fayetteville NC-except you were shooting from a BMW police motorcycle parked on it's center stand. Start position was seated with rifle in ready position, from start buzzer stand up and engage about 5 targets on the right, and also on the left. Range was only about 20-40 yds, but every time you moved or swung from one target to another, the dang bike would teeter-totter on the center stand. Very entertaining to watch, and a lot of fun to shoot. Before everyone starts having a BF over it not being realistic, Yes...we know. It was a shooting match, not real life. It was fun. That's why I shoot, to have fun. It's too bad they don't have that match anymore.

Edited cause I kaint spail

Edited by shooter steve

• 3 weeks later...

Use the IPSC buckshot targets which are a standard size piece of paper. Do not paste but spray the old target with a dab of contact adhesive and put up a new target. You can run these off of a copier. And if you desire to go smaller there are all sizes of index cards which you can paste in the same manner.

• 2 weeks later...

We had an excellent target idea at a recent 3-gun. Not sure what they are called, but Wal-Mart sells them by the case. They are small drinks in a variety of colors. Not sure what they are other than colored sugar water in little bottles about 2/3 the size of a beer can. when hit with either the rifle or the shot gun they were explosive, handguns not very good. Wish I'd gotten the brand name but they come in probably 8 oz miniature kegs and are very colorful. Also, they are very sticky so I assume they are mostly sugar water, so please don't drink them!!!

Oh, they were shot off of fence posts, and if you hit the post they fell off, not allowed to shoot them on the ground so they counted as a miss.

• 4 months later...

Bowling Pin heads make good rifle targets at limited distances. We made a simulated plate rack using a 2x6 and 7 pin heads. To protect the 2x6 board we stapled a couple no-shoots flush with the top surface. I witnessed 223 and 6.8 bullets passing right through the pin heads and just knocking them a foot or so back and off of the board at about 20 yards. It was very difficult to find entry or exit holes. I believe they would last for large amount of shooters. We did have one guy shooting some kind of varmit bullets, they transferred a lot more energy into the pin heads and moved them back up into the muddy berm. I think they still were intact, but at that point we just grabbed new ones to replace them.

To make the pin heads we used clamps and scrap wood to create a fixture on the chop saw. They cut easy.

• 4 months later...

I'm thinking of a styrofoam block, set behind a railroad tie to absorb low hits.

Tee up golf balls on tees into the styrofoam...

I have hundreds of used golfballs, and tees are damn near free...

We have bays with a max effective range of 20 yards. Gotta go small...

Jeff

Golf Ball targets for rifles...

I dug a shelf back into the dirt berm, laid a carpet piece across in front (below the shelf), and carpet behind the shelf. The carpets minimized the "splash" of dirt from rifle hits. We teed the balls up on tall golf tees, about 9" apart, close to the front of the shelf. We shot the golf balls at about 15 yards, with a barrel available for a rest. A golf ball is 1.68" in diameter, so roughly equates a 16-18" steel at 150-200 yards. Most shooters took 6-8 shots to clear all 5 balls, which was great. Most of the golf balls took 5-7 hits before they were unusable. Even 7.62 pretty much passed through and through.

We'll use them again!

Jeff