Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 2nd video.

J-Ho

A couple of examples of off balance shooting on stage 2 as you step towards the threshold and stage 5 while you were in the box. I see you being a bit unenthusiastic about getting from point A to point B, haul butt where you can. I noticed the mags hanging up a bit too. When you had the miss on the star, you went slack - like you were taking a moment to mentally regroup... maybe work on the mental aspects and stay in the fight as long as you can. Still, looking pretty good on recoil control, how were your hits?

Do your mags not drop free consistently? I notice you do a little shake of the gun on every swap.

The main reason it looks as if I have to shake the gun is my short little thumbs. I have to shift the gun to get to the mag release. I did notice I seem to give it a little shake to the side though. Thanks for pointing it out.

A couple of examples of off balance shooting on stage 2 as you step towards the threshold and stage 5 while you were in the box. I see you being a bit unenthusiastic about getting from point A to point B, haul butt where you can. I noticed the mags hanging up a bit too. When you had the miss on the star, you went slack - like you were taking a moment to mentally regroup... maybe work on the mental aspects and stay in the fight as long as you can. Still, looking pretty good on recoil control, how were your hits?

Could you explain the off balance shooting a little better? For instance, on stage 5 string 1, when I leaned over I didn't feel off balance. I thought leaning over would be a little quicker than taking another step. Could you point out when I was off balance on stage 2?

Missing the star, ya my mind turned off for a second. I was certain I had those first two plates. I was about to pull the trigger on the third when I realized I didn't hit the first two. I froze for a second. Definitely not good.

As to moving from point A to B, thanks for reminding me. I think I got too used to running around at the indoor range. With my weight and the slick concrete I slid around a lot when I tried to go too fast. I almost ate floor last Saturday at the indoor range. I got too used to limiting my speed.

thanks for all your comments. I think I am going to get a lot out of filming myself and getting input from others.

Thanks

J-ho

Could you explain the off balance shooting a little better? For instance, on stage 5 string 1, when I leaned over I didn't feel off balance. I thought leaning over would be a little quicker than taking another step. Could you point out when I was off balance on stage 2?

On stage 5, I can't tell for sure if you're off balance. If it was just shifting weight of see a keyhole, I understand the lean better.

On stage 2, your 3rd and 4th shots while you're in the doorway threshold. Why lean through that door? Was it a 180 thing? Fault line for those targets?

On stage 5, I can't tell for sure if you're off balance. If it was just shifting weight of see a keyhole, I understand the lean better.

On stage 2, your 3rd and 4th shots while you're in the doorway threshold. Why lean through that door? Was it a 180 thing? Fault line for those targets?

Oh I see what you mean now.

stage 2-it was a 180 thing. I think I could have gone completely in the door way but I would have been about 179.875 degrees. Closer than I was comfortable with. I guess I should work on feeling comfortable with going to, just not past 180.

Stage 5-there was a barrier in the way, I was just leaning, I could have taken a bigger step to begin with, I'm not sure what's better.

again, thanks for your comments.

J-Ho

You might ask the guy running the timer. I hear he is pretty damn good.

That's an understatement if I ever heard one.

Who's the guy running the timer?

Kale Garretson

Most recently, he took 2nd production at Space City. He is very good. I don't think he is M yet but it won't be long til he is.

I sure enjoyed watching you shoot, you look like you really know how to have fun. Looks like some nice stages.

I was about to pull the trigger on the third when I realized I didn't hit the first two. I froze for a second. Definitely not good.
Clutching up and losing it is a bad deal. But depending on your skill level and temperament, doing a "controlled restart" to get back on track can be the best solution. I think I heard the phrase "controlled restart" from BE (not sure).

I sure enjoyed watching you shoot, you look like you really know how to have fun. Looks like some nice stages.
I was about to pull the trigger on the third when I realized I didn't hit the first two. I froze for a second. Definitely not good.
Clutching up and losing it is a bad deal. But depending on your skill level and temperament, doing a "controlled restart" to get back on track can be the best solution. I think I heard the phrase "controlled restart" from BE (not sure).

HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY TEMPERAMENT!!!!!!! YOU NO GOOD FOR NOTHIN SON OF !$!$@#%$@ AND A @%$@% AND $^*(#!!!!!!

;) Just joking

Thanks for the comment.

• 4 weeks later...
You might ask the guy running the timer. I hear he is pretty damn good.

That's an understatement if I ever heard one.

Who's the guy running the timer?

Don't mean to thread jack but man Kale is a badass. I always loved when he'd come to Amarillo to shoot with us.

I thought I recognized him from the video but last I saw him he was shooting an STI. Granted thats been 8 months or so.

when you turn from standing position to left or right turn, i notice that you squat down? you are loosing time there.

you should come in to a position in one height and when turning, do a step and do not squat and push with the leg. it is always more efficient to just step and go as suppose to squat the leg and go? also your shots and transition should be almost the same. watch Taran butler's video and just hear the shooting transitions and splits. Hope this helps.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

when you turn from standing position to left or right turn, i notice that you squat down? you are loosing time there.

you should come in to a position in one height and when turning, do a step and do not squat and push with the leg. it is always more efficient to just step and go as suppose to squat the leg and go? also your shots and transition should be almost the same. watch Taran butler's video and just hear the shooting transitions and splits. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I didn't notice that until you pointed it out.

J-Ho

Reloads: You are lowering your right hand and gun to meet the magazine in your left. Keep your gun as close to the aim height as possible. This puts you back on target quickly after reload, shaving a bit of time.

Edited by Storm52

On the first stage, it looks like it would have been faster to continue across the back of the table (no stop/start), load as you come forward down the right side, and fire your first shot as soon as the trailing foot lifted off the ground to step into the right side of the area. Did you give that any thought?

And try to avoid pirate-sound inducing events in future stages, okay? :D

Reloads: You are lowering your right hand and gun to meet the magazine in your left. Keep your gun as close to the aim height as possible. This puts you back on target quickly after reload, shaving a bit of time.

Ya, this is what I was seeing consistantly through the stages too. You are bring the gun back, lowering it, inserting the mag, bring the gun back and re-engaging the sights. Pretend there is a tethered line from your eye to the next target after the reload and keep the sights on that tether during the reload. If there's a lot of movement area, keep the gun at eye level. Speed up your left had to the mag and to the gun. You're kinda letting it float to and from the gun. Video tape some of your dry fire reloads and review them. Try to shrink the time it takes to get the new mag to the gun and shrink the time it takes to get a STABLE sight picture.

Edited to add: You shoot very relaxed and don't fight the recoil. That's half the battle right there.

Edited by SA Friday