Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best holster for single stack?

z06pilot

What is the best holster for single stack? Currently, I use a IDPA legal Mach 2 holster for my Trojan, in both uspsa and IDPA, but I would like somthing more competitive for Single stack. What is the best option?

What is the best holster for single stack? Currently, I use a IDPA legal Mach 2 holster for my Trojan, in both uspsa and IDPA, but I would like somthing more competitive for Single stack. What is the best option?

Every holster in single stack is pretty much the same. I use a Comp-tac belt holster for mine but blade-tech and probably the one you have will be just as good.

Every holster in single stack is pretty much the same. I use a Comp-tac belt holster for mine but blade-tech and probably the one you have will be just as good.

+1

I'm guessing I saw more Blade Techs than anything else at the Single Stack Classic, but there's really no reason any decent kydex holster wouldn't do just fine. Also saw a surprising number of traditionalists toting their slabsides in leather, but if you've been shooting as long as they have, you're probably past the point where your holster choice is a major factor in how fast you are.

They all work pretty well. I like the Talon Tactical A-10. I don't think the SS holster rules are much more lenient then the IDPA rules.

What are the holster and mag pouch location rules for Single Stack? Iwas thinking of getting a 1911 in 9mm.

Edited by S&W627shooter

My wife got my Bladetech DOH when she got her Single Stack gun. I'm using an

old Uncle Mikes and I doubt that $100 spent on a fancier holster would buy me a

tenth of a second.

Edited by open17

GET A BLADE-TECH :rolleyes:

What is the best holster for single stack?

I'm glad you posted this thread because I've been wondering the same thing myself.

Two of my shooting buddies have holsters they have modified, but I have been unable to find anything similar to what they have.

I'd like to know if there is anything out there with an offset that's legal in Single Stack.

Here is a link to the DOH Bladetech. http://www.blade-tech.com/DOH-Dropped-Offs...ok-pr-1167.html

Can you eliminate the Dropped part and just set up an offset holster? For the holster to be legal, the front strap has to be above the belt, right?

Yes, remove the hanger and the holster is USPSA SS legal. If you want more offset you can add homebrew spacers but remember that the rules say the gun can only be 2" from the inside (closest to your skin) of your belt. If you wear a inner/outer belt system than this means the inside of the inner belt.

I shoot L10 with a 1911 and use a Blade-tech (I like it). When I shoot classifiers for SS, I use a Blackhawk serpa on a paddle. I have worked on the release so that will release the gun with minimal movement of the lever. Blackhawk also makes this holster without the retention device and offers a spacer/wedge for both holsters to move them away from the belt. If anything ever happens to my Blade-tech (doughtful, since they make such good stuff) I would consider getting one of the drop brackets for the Blackhawk and using it for L10/Limited.

Blade-tech or Blackhawk, both are high quality.

Hurley

There are actually quite a few threads on SS holsters and mag pouches. I went with a Safariland 568 and like it quite a bit. For mag pouches I went with the Belt Feed and a single or two behind it. I would consider using all Ready Tacticals now that I've got them for my Production rig....very nice and inexpensive. I wouldn't hesitate to use a Comp-Tac or Blade Tech either.

Rules are (Cliff Notes version). Must hold the entire front strap all the way to the trigger guard at or above the top of the belt. Holster and pouches can't be farther forward than the point of your hip and the max distance from inside of the inner belt to the gun or a mag is 2". R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Ready Tactical, from Chris Patty

Doesn't look to be Single Stack legal.

I believe the one in the picture is the DOH model, but he offers 3 versions.

From the website:

Ready Tactical Holster - custom fitted holster with 1.5" belt loop, front sight channel relief, and fully adjustable for tension. Available in dropped and offset (DOH), USPSA, and IDPA models. The DOH holster offers the most clearance, dropping the gun down and away from the body; USPSA production legal, but not IDPA legal. The USPSA model has less offset, sits in a little tighter to the body with no drop; USPSA production legal, but not IDPA legal. The IDPA legal holster has the tighter loop for the belt and is IDPA approved. The DOH holster is $69.95 and the other models are $59. Available in both right hand and left hand models for STI, Glock, Springfield XD, and 1911 pistols.

Select your holster below from either the DOH, USPSA, or IDPA specific ordering menus.

But I could be wrong???

I use a Safariland 5188, and I believe Rob does as well, quickest one I've tried so far.

Yeah, but at the level y'all shoot, you could duct tape an old shoe to your belt and still beat most of us!

FWIW, I was in the squad behind you at the SSN, and was impressed! Nice shooting! Wish I'd followed your example and skipped the clamshell on 18 or 19 - I went for it and picked up a C and a no-shoot!

Edited by bbbean

I currently use a Blade Tech that I've cut up a little bit (ala KyTac/CompTac style). The only thing I don't really like about BT's is the 2 piece design. I plan on trying a CompTac or Ready Tactical soon. For pouches I am using some home made versions of KyTac's. They're nice, but looking for a smoother mag-draw when I do something other than pull straight up on em. I saw some Ready Tactical's at the SSC, and they seem nice. Was previously thinking about CompTac's...