Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a Saiga for 3 gun

apriav

I have a stock Saiga 12 and some Surefire 12 round mags. Bought a magwell......what else should be done to make it run, mods, changes? Single hook trigger, double hook? Want to get it right the first time.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screw in chokes help. A Ultimak rail is pretty easy to do. You could send it to Jack Travers and save yourself some time and experimenting. The one he did for me is great.

Jack does do very nice work!

There are others (who build guns that run) out there as well :D

The basics for a Saiga conversion are:

- remove factory trigger assembly and bottom metal, install new (I like single hook) AK trigger and hammer (tweaked for Saiga), new trigger guard, cut receiver for regular AK grip T-nut, new stock, new grip. Fancy parts are the extended mag release and extended safety.

That gives you a fast-loaded iron sight gun.

Have chokes installed...the factory chokes are pretty good, if you are on a budget, but real chokes work better ;)

You can get drop-in J-point mounts that will replace your rear sight; those work great. You can put a rail over your gas system...those are pretty neat, too.

There is one decent two-chamber mid-barrel comp on the market, and then there is another one ;)

My primary Saiga looks like this:

Saiga12_compproto_1.jpg

Easy work :)

Alex

Edited by Wakal

Jack does do very nice work!

There are others (who build guns that run) out there as well :D

The basics for a Saiga conversion are:

- remove factory trigger assembly and bottom metal, install new (I like single hook) AK trigger and hammer (tweaked for Saiga), new trigger guard, cut receiver for regular AK grip T-nut, new stock, new grip. Fancy parts are the extended mag release and extended safety.

That gives you a fast-loaded iron sight gun.

Have chokes installed...the factory chokes are pretty good, if you are on a budget, but real chokes work better ;)

You can get drop-in J-point mounts that will replace your rear sight; those work great. You can put a rail over your gas system...those are pretty neat, too.

There is one decent two-chamber mid-barrel comp on the market, and then there is another one ;)

My primary Saiga looks like this:

Saiga12_compproto_1.jpg

Easy work :)

Alex

Alex,

How do you like your Saiga vs. USAS 12?

Saigas cycle faster and are much lighter (8 pounds v. 14 pounds). Both shoot where you point them. The USAS pattern is easier to load and work the controls to anyone who runs a AR, but with practice (and a little machine work on the receiver), the Saiga is just fine. I am not fond of the current mag wells, but there will be another option eventually from the nice folks who build the two-chamber shotgun comp (eventually ;) ).

There is a shop that is working up some US-made barrels that will already have all the good stuff done to them (shortened gas system, choke tubes, throated and polished, exterior finish that doesn't look like an attempt at threading, concentric bore, working gas ports...you know, working right out of the box...what a concept...). I am waiting for them to start shipping :)

Alex

I have a stock Saiga 12 and some Surefire 12 round mags. Bought a magwell......what else should be done to make it run, mods, changes? Single hook trigger, double hook? Want to get it right the first time.

If you are going to have it built right, send it to Jack.

Give me a call if you have a question on parts or how to do it yourself. We have everything you need on our site and then some.

Greg

I know R&R has made a straight in straight out mag conversion that seems much easier than the rocking motion currently in use.

when you're done converting the SG, you no longer have a Saiga, it is a custom SG. That you still have to know how it operates and feed it good food.

Trapr

Trapr,

Actually, Jack Travers came up with the straight-insert mag well (itself a much-improved version of the Russian system). Robert liked it so much...as well as Jack's neat safety...that he builds his own, after Jack sold him some "Chinese blueprints" in good faith. Interesting. Much like Robert's mid-barrel comp (laughs).

Lot of that stuff going on these days...Robert knocking off Jack's stuff, Henning ripping the F2...must be a shortage of original ideas :roflol:

Alex

Saigas cycle faster and are much lighter (8 pounds v. 14 pounds). Both shoot where you point them. The USAS pattern is easier to load and work the controls to anyone who runs a AR, but with practice (and a little machine work on the receiver), the Saiga is just fine. I am not fond of the current mag wells, but there will be another option eventually from the nice folks who build the two-chamber shotgun comp (eventually ;) ).

There is a shop that is working up some US-made barrels that will already have all the good stuff done to them (shortened gas system, choke tubes, throated and polished, exterior finish that doesn't look like an attempt at threading, concentric bore, working gas ports...you know, working right out of the box...what a concept...). I am waiting for them to start shipping :)

Alex

Who is doing these barrels if you dont mind me asking?

Jack is building an "Open" Saiga for me as well. It should be completed in the next week or so. I will post a report and pics after I have a chance to try it out.

I have the Russian mag well on mine...put the mag in and start shooting...not much to improve.

Actually there is a lot to improve. First off the average customer CAN NOT buy a russian magwell on the common market. Mine is alluminum, not plastic and the aluminum magwell is very easy to install compared to the Russian. The aluminum magwell may be installed with common hand tools.

I designed the original US magwell currently in production and have been updating it over the past year. They were sold out of Millennium Custom down in Florida. I have a final production prototype which I just finished on Friday. We will start a production run on Wednesday (Ihope).

I gave Rob from R & R permission to remanufacture the Magwells as long as I was given credit. I do not know if that is the case, as I have not been on his website.

This magwell is designed primarily for the Surefire magazines, but all mags will work with it. Very cost effective and easy to install.

The picture is the current prototype. The flare will be thicker on the production model and a deeper interior flare.

Regards,

Jack Travers

JT Engineering

post-951-1241445506_thumb.jpg

Jack, Rob may have said that it was your design, I just remember him saying that they were making it in house. The Russians do have some very nice boxmag SG's , they are the center of attention at most IPSC PSG matches that I've been to.

I've not seen a comparable one here in the states,that I liked as much.................yet.

trapr

Jack, Rob may have said that it was your design, I just remember him saying that they were making it in house. The Russians do have some very nice boxmag SG's , they are the center of attention at most IPSC PSG matches that I've been to.

I've not seen a comparable one here in the states,that I liked as much.................yet.

trapr

Trapr,

Hell, we are all in this together. To me, the sport and advancement of 3 gun/multigun comes first. I don't get too excited about the details.

Best to you,

Jack

Edited by Jack T

Jack,

Not a big deal, just curious, is the hole spacing of the new one the same as the MCG AGP version I have? Could I swap them without redrilling?

Steve

Absolutely, I have built every version off the same platform. If anything, it will be tight and allow you to remove some material off the back of the magwell. Every gun I tested on so far, that was fitted for an earlier design, either fit dead on, or was just a little tight (good thing!) and I could relieve the back of the magwell.

Regards,

Jack

I like the Surefire 12-round mags best. Easier to load 10 rounds in a 12-round mag than it is to load 10 rounds in a 10 round mag ;)

And the best of the Surefire's are the clear ones, available only from Greg at www.CarolinaShootersSupply.com

:cheers:

Alex

I like the Surefire 12-round mags best. Easier to load 10 rounds in a 12-round mag than it is to load 10 rounds in a 10 round mag ;)

And the best of the Surefire's are the clear ones, available only from Greg at www.CarolinaShootersSupply.com

:cheers:

Alex

I mix up the mags, but the Surefire's are the best and the service from Carolina Shooters is exceptional. They are the only distributor that has the Clear Surefires.

Regards,

Jack

Clear polycarbonate doesn't hold up long term for firearms applications. We told AGP they were a bad idea...they don't make them anymore. The Surfiregunmags will inevitably run into longevity problems too. Oil, solvents, carbon from shooting the gun will all degrade the integrity of the plastic over time. Get the black mags, they will last a lot longer.

Edited by SinistralRifleman