Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tumbling 223 after sizing and triming

pdice

In reading through the forums I see a lot of people tumbling their brass after they size, deprime, and trim before their second toolhead which loads. Why? For my last batch I just waited until the end and tumbled the loaded round.

I do it because it takes the case lube off and helps knock of any burrs from the trimmer.

+1

Don't forget to put a universal decapping die in #1 spot on that second head to knock any stray media from the flash hole. Those can make for an embarrassing result :goof:

Edited by JoshF

I usually process brass as time permits, & load it later. I usually tumble the dirty brass, then process it, primer pockets, trimming, etc, then tumble it once again, this time with polish. At this point I put it in zip lock bags & store it until needed. This way it's ready to load. One other little point, after the last tumble, I only handle it while wearing gloves, to keep my fingerprints off it, which helps prevent tarnish & corrosion.

Fussy, ain't I?

get the RCBS X sizer die.

get the possum hollow trimmer and tool holder to chuck into a drill press or a corded drill.

size like normal trim all your brass, IIRC, 20 thousandths under trim to length, then after the next firing use the RCBS X-sizer die to keep the cases from growing which means NO more trimming.

Essentially, you will be able to treat your .223 brass or .308 brass like straight walled semi-auto pistol brass after that. One tool head. That's it.

Tumble to clean first. Then into the casefeeder. Then crank out some ammo. None of this on the press... off the press business.

Use a large beach towel, and put your brass in it.

Pour a generous amount of "Prep-all" (found in any automotive paint section) on the brass.

Make a "boat" out of the towel and "tumble" brass from end to end (think reverse slinky).

This makes the brass shiney and clean with no media in any holes.

I have a Giraud trimmer which leaves a nice clean edge. I'm worried tumbling after trimming might mess that edge up so I tumble them after I resize and before trimming.

• 1 month later...

While I've done it in the past, tumbling loaded ammo can cause problems.

1. Excessive tumbling can break loose the primer compound.

2. I've heard of rifle rounds detonating in the tumbler... Never seen it, only heard about it.

I have a Giraud trimmer which leaves a nice clean edge. I'm worried tumbling after trimming might mess that edge up so I tumble them after I resize and before trimming.

It doesn't on mine.

YMMV