Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Economy is forcing me not to be an evil ba**ard

We got a second connex box to put our targets and props in at the range. I've been down there off an on for the last couple weeks moving stuff around, sorting, cleaning, tossing ect.

One of the nice things about this is that I found a TON of stuff I didn't even know we had. I found more poppers, a bunch more plates, 8 full size steel hard cover targets, ect.

What it got me to thinking is that I have just about enough steel to set up 2 or 3 32 round all steel stages (even without using the texas star).

Then I said... you know what? A bunch of our shooters get mind-hosed on steel stages... I set up usually a 20 shot steel stage once a month, and plenty of my guys run out of ammo trying to clear THAT... let alone a couple 32 rounders...

Crap... I hate it when the economy screws up my stage designs...

But... there's always next year... :devil: (Hello Area 5...)

Frank

I had this conversation with someone the other day- I wish that I could replace all of the IPSC targets on the classifiers with USPs. I shoot steel so much faster and better than paper. I love using a lot of steel for my matches.

If you set the steel out there all the time people will get used to it. I grew up shooting steel, took some time to get used to looking for the A zone. I am getting used to it, just like they will. Just start small and build it up a little every month. You will be teaching them to get better at steel and they will probably not even realize it.

Edited by JimmyZip

Y'all are preaching to the choir... I love shooting steel as well... thats why I'm REALLY excited about Tom's match at Barry next month (the Metal Works 500).

BUT... Y'all aren't the one everyone complains to because they ran out of ammo and still had 6 mikes :roflol:

Another thing we have in our new box is 10 or 12 .22lr plate racks... I'm gonna have fun with side matches...

Frank

Don't forget you've gotta use 1 paper target...but only 1. One of the best USPSA stages I shot was at the Smith and Wesson factory, Chris from Westfield Practical Shooters set up "Chris' Constellation", a 32 round, 30 steel/ 1 paper COF, shot indoors with questionable (at best) lighting (FO sights didn't really have enough light to be effective), at 20 yards (I think).

Great fun, not so great times... B)

Nope... you don't need use a paper target. The rules state:

Various sizes of metal plates may be used (see Appendix B5), however, metal plates must not be used exclusively in a course of fire. At least one authorized paper target or Popper must be included in each course of fire.

Frank

• 1 month later...
Nope... you don't need use a paper target. The rules state:

Various sizes of metal plates may be used (see Appendix B5), however, metal plates must not be used exclusively in a course of fire. At least one authorized paper target or Popper must be included in each course of fire.

Frank

+1

I love steel.

1) Shooting Production or SS, it makes you think more about reloads... With paper, it's 4 targets, 8 shots, mag-change... repeat... With steel, you might run it clean, you might not. Put 7-8 steel in one array, and drive the single-stack and production guys nuts! If you can't slow down and make hits on 8" steel, you DESERVE to run out of ammo... If you can hit 8 steel, even at distance with 8-10 shots, you deserve to score better.

2) I feel too many stages are set up by/for the "hosers", and not enough for the "shooters". The tougher the shots, the better chance I have of winning the stage... Because I learned to shoot GROUPS, before I learned (still learning) to shoot fast! I vote for more 8" steel at 15+ yards!

My 2 cents...

JW