Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer System Upgrade

I would like to see an improvement to the priming system, as it is my number one headache on my 550B. The 550 is a great machine, but the priming system needs a little help. If it works good, I think you will be able to sell a lot of them! I'll certainly take one.

Damned machine shop is getting on my nerves with this one... should have been done by now!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm like lots of other 550 users in that I'm happy with my loader and not so with the priming system. The ONLY issues I've ever had with the press ove many years has been that assembly. I would be a happy beta tester or customer, assuming solid performance and a semi-reasonable price.

Update:

I got the first proto back from the shop and it looks promising. There are a couple clearence issues that need to be dealt with, but it's working now. The tough part is trying to use all existing parts and make it so you can pop in a couple parts with little, if any cobbling. There also needs to be two separate designs, one for the case-feed version and one without. We are working with the manual version first. If all goes well, we should have this thing ready for Dillon to look at within a week or so. They get first dibs and then I'll either sell it out to them or give you guys a go at it. You people that said you would like to beta test it will be first on the list.

Best.

JT

Quinn

One thing I would like to see changed...get away from the primer pickup tubes. I have two Vibra-Primes and that helps, but its still a pain.

I like the Mec shotshell system where you just put the card of 100 on the plate and pull off the cover, done!

• 3 weeks later...

My 550B started life as a simple 550. I bought it 2nd hand about 5 years ago and that was after it had been in storage since 1997/8 after the handgun ban over here, and I believe it was used for many years before that.

It is a simple but very efficent design and I'm still happy with it.

However, the main problem i've had in the past and am having now is with a sticking primer bar. I've tried all sorts of remedies but it will still hang every now and again, causing me to stop, ease it forward by hand and carry on.

So, I'm also interested in seeing your new design. Hope you're willing to sell this side of the water!!

Cheers,

Ian C.

My 550B started life as a simple 550. I bought it 2nd hand about 5 years ago and that was after it had been in storage since 1997/8 after the handgun ban over here, and I believe it was used for many years before that.

However, the main problem i've had in the past and am having now is with a sticking primer bar. I've tried all sorts of remedies but it will still hang every now and again, causing me to stop, ease it forward by hand and carry on.

So, I'm also interested in seeing your new design. Hope you're willing to sell this side of the water!!

Cheers,

Ian C.

You Brits have stood by us when all others have run... How could I not sell to our UK brothers? I just need to get it back and run a few thousand rounds. then I will ship to some friends that load a lot and we will make any needed adjustments. After that we talk to Dillon and see if they want it, if not, then I'll sell direct to you guys.

Best

JT

Edited by JThompson

Cheers,

Ian C.

You Brits have stood by us when all others have run... How could I not sell to our UK brothers? I just need to get it back and run a few thousand rounds. then I will ship to some friends that load a lot and we will make any needed adjustments. After that we talk to Dillon and see if they want it, if not, then I'll sell direct to you guys.

Best

JT

In the meantime, my 550 priming copy/paste:

550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

• Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)
  • Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.
  • At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.
  • Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.
  • Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!
  • Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.
  • Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.

Cheers,

Ian C.

Best

JT

Thanks,

Our combined armed forces have my 100% support, admiration and respect.

Recently over here there was a 'welcome home' parade through one of our towns by the troops based near by. Lots of supporters came out to welcome and cheer them back safely home. They were also met with a small band of Muslim extremists waving anti UK placards and shouting and swearing at the troops. The Police had their hands full and managed to stop it getting out of hand( and maybe a few killings - who knows!) My point being that although the Armies of both our Countries have my full support, I'll breath easier when the politicians allow them to ALL come home.

Sorry about the thread hi-jack. Now back to the reloading.

I did some more reloading last night and again I was suffering from the dreaded sticking primer bar. I read on here somewhere that slacking off the two bolts that hold the primer assembly to the frame is a temp. answer. I tried it last night and it worked a treat.

Thanks again. Put me on the waiting list for your new mod

Cheers,

Ian C.

Slightly off topic but I am with KenOrris on the primer tubes, especially the new ones which are DEVIL SPAWN. I am apparently one of the lucky ones who haven't had the sticky problem. Want to tackle the primer feed problem next? HINT HINT

• 2 weeks later...

That's it! I am in also. I'm just tired of making so many adjustments and cleanings. Tonight I had to adjust,clean and then eventually need to pull the bar back to catch another primer. Works for awhile then back to problems within 15 or so reloads.

When When When. :bow:

That's it! I am in also. I'm just tired of making so many adjustments and cleanings. Tonight I had to adjust,clean and then eventually need to pull the bar back to catch another primer. Works for awhile then back to problems within 15 or so reloads.

When When When. :bow:

PM inbound

Hurry, JT!

I'm very close to ordering another complete primer assembly from Dillon. I get 2-300 rounds loaded before the primer bar either doesn't come back far enough to grab a primer or it hangs back and doesn't go forward. Mine had bulges that hung on the primer bar where the threaded inserts go into the base. I cleaned those up pretty well. The primer bar itself has little holes (craters?) on the bottom surface that I think collect powder and cause it to hang. Every 300 rounds or so I take it apart and re-sand the bottom of the primer bar with ultra-fine sand paper to get it smooth again. My large primer bar doesn't have quite as many defects on the bottom surface and it lasts about 500 rounds between cleanings / polishings.

Another user looking forward to an "upgrade."

If it makes the Dillon primer feed as good even as my 1978 C-H Autochamp, it would be an improvement.

And after the 550, please take a look at the S1050, primer feed is its Achilles heel, too.

Rework the 650 last, I don't have one of those.

Jim, I'm getting there, we just had to switch machine shops... the one we were using was killing me on pricing, so now I have to explain/show a new machinist what I want. ~Sigh! it will be better in the long run, but very frustrating in the short run.

Mike: I hear ya buddy and I'm trying to get the new guys up to speed.

JT

Another user looking forward to an "upgrade."

If it makes the Dillon primer feed as good even as my 1978 C-H Autochamp, it would be an improvement.

And after the 550, please take a look at the S1050, primer feed is its Achilles heel, too.

Rework the 650 last, I don't have one of those.

The primer feed on the 650 doesn't need any help. I have two 650's and have never had any issues with the primer system. Come to think of it, I have never had any ongoing issues with my 650's that a bit of readjustment or lube didn't take care of. :cheers:

CYa,

Pat

I ordered a 550 yesterday, I never read about this problem. :surprise: Oh well, if you sell this yourself, it sounds like I'll be buying one.

A.T.

I hope your 550 experience will be better than mine . Way too much frustration and aggravation with the priming system. I finally quit priming on it and went back to using my old RCBS bench mounted priming tool. My old(early 80's) 450 and (early 90's) 1050 both purr like a kitten :cheers: Kirby

JT, put me on the list for a second generation upgrade. I've done too much product development and support over the years to jump in at Beta. I am sure it will be a great improvement, though. Thanks again for tackling this one. It is long overdue for an upgrade.

The 550 priming problems reports always surprise me a bit. Because over the years I loaded zillion's of rounds on a 550 with very few priming problems ever. Or none that couldn't be quickly fixed from these guidelines.

Especially the one with the "-> Key" - Getting the angle of the op rod just "out" the perfect amount is huge. Operate the machine, empty, and keep experimenting with the "out angle" of the op rod until you can watch the primer slide track out and back without any "sticking."

550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

• Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)
  • Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.
  • At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.
  • -> Key: Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.
  • Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!
  • Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.
  • Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.