Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

premature slidelock, dropped mag with a round left

Pittbug

My para sometimes locks the slide back with a round still left in the mag. This happened during a match yesterday, so I just ejected the mag, popped in a fresh one and continued. When the stage was done, someone pointed out the round left in the mag and wanted the SO to issue a procedural. I explained that the gun was at slidelock, which the SO accepted, since another shooter verified. Should I have gotten the procedural?

No. You're allowed to drop a loaded mag while clearing a malfunction. In this case, the gun malfunctioned when it slidelocked prematurely. Believing the gun was empty, you popped the mag out, inserted a fresh one and dropped the slide - in the process clearing the malfunction. No procedural.

It depends. In most of the matches I've shot it is a PE. If this is ruled as a malfunction then someone will aquire the skill to hit the slide lock at the right time to reload when best for them.

If the SO is convinced it was a truly a gun malfunction as opposed to a shooter malfunction - no PE.

Normally magazines can be adjusted to avoid premature slide lock.

The "someone" probably needs to be told to shut his mouth and mind his own business. Matches are scored by the SO not the peanut gallery. The premature slidelock is a malfunction so no procedural should be issued.

Thanks for the clarification guys, it was definitely a gun malfunction. I really need to get my mags figured out because it's getting annoying. I never know how many I can put through the pipe before it locks back, which really messes with my head. On the bright side, it keeps me on my toes and lets me adapt to the situation.

Thx Bill :cheers:

It depends. In most of the matches I've shot it is a PE. If this is ruled as a malfunction then someone will aquire the skill to hit the slide lock at the right time to reload when best for them.

If someone can possibly learn to do that on demand while shooting a course of fire then they are way above the skill level needed to use that skill.

AL

slide stop probably needs to be tuned. A dimple where the detent pin sets will help, also load some mags with your ammo, remove the slide and barrel, put the slide stop in slowly insert the loaded magazine. You should be able to see where the rounds are hitting, This area can be dressed so the rounds clear it but the follower still activates the slidelock.

Normally magazines can be adjusted to avoid premature slide lock.

In my experience it's a matter of modifying the slide stop, not the magazines. Brownells actually sells a tool for locating and cutting a detent to the slide stop, for exactly this reason, to cure premature slidelock.

If this is ruled as a malfunction then someone will aquire the skill to hit the slide lock at the right time to reload when best for them.

That's reaching, IMHO.

I've seen premature slidelock (or gun empty and no slidelock) all too often on Glock 34s and 35s that have the extended slide stop lever. Too easy for a thumb to graze it at the wrong time. (I've swapped the regular levers into my 34 and 35).

Do the rules allow for you to drop an empty mag with a round in the chamber when the CoF DOES NOT call for a reload with retention or tac reload? Apologies in advance if this is thread hijacking.....

No, if you are not at slide lock you must retain the magazine.

Do the rules allow for you to drop an empty mag with a round in the chamber when the CoF DOES NOT call for a reload with retention or tac reload? Apologies in advance if this is thread hijacking.....

No, if you are not at slide lock you must retain the magazine.

I'm going to nit pick just a little.

The gun/chamber AND mag must be empty in order to drop and leave the mag while reloading. (Clearing a malfunction is different)

The minor difference from what Gregg stated is that you COULD have the gun not lock back on an empty mag (and thus an empty chamber and mag but slide forward). You would not be required to retain a mag if that's the case.

joe4d/duane

I took the slide off, inserted a mag with dummies and looked closely at what was going on. The rounds are not touching the slidestop, so that's ok. But there's no dimple in the slide stop so I think it's riding up under recoil and locking the slide back.

Thanks for the pointers, I really appreciate it. :cheers: