Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

premature slidelock, dropped mag with a round left

Pittbug

The "someone" probably needs to be told to shut his mouth and mind his own business. Matches are scored by the SO not the peanut gallery. The premature slidelock is a malfunction so no procedural should be issued.

Oh man- that burns my ass when people do that. Sometimes uninformed SOs are frustrating but people that do that are like rats!

The "someone" probably needs to be told to shut his mouth and mind his own business. Matches are scored by the SO not the peanut gallery. The premature slidelock is a malfunction so no procedural should be issued.

Oh man- that burns my ass when people do that. Sometimes uninformed SOs are frustrating but people that do that are like rats!

Yeah, folks lets let the SO/ROs score things. I hate it when somebody from another squad points out a Noshoot/Nonthreat after everything has been pasted and the RO then goes back and gives it to the shooter.

Anyway, A drill press would work as well, just make sure that you don't put so much of a dimple there that when the mag comes up that it will still lock back. Also, make sure your not pushing it up by accident when shooting either.

Corey: When I played with the frame (sans slide) I was stripping rounds from the inserted mag and slapping the grip. I saw that the slide stop was indeed moving up without anything touching it.

I don't have a drill press, but I do have a vice and a dremel, I'll see how it works out tonight. I'm going to drill some dents on some scrap steel to check depth before I attack the slide stop. Last thing I need is to drill it too deep and have the plunger lock in there so hard that the mag spring can't overcome it.

Well I got it done with a dremel and a ball end engraving bit. After racking the slide and ejecting dummies for 20 mins, I got it to 100% reliability in locking the slide back. I think it'll stay put under recoil, I guess tomorrow's match at Circleville will prove it.

For future reference, here's the brownells 1911 auto detent spotting drill.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/pro...000&s=19210

Description from their site:

"Ingenious, combination step drill and ball end mill cuts new detents quickly and precisely using only finger pressure. Aligns through the plunger tube. Gives both detents a solid on/off click and your 1911 the sound and feel of quality."

Situations like this are the reason IDPA matches take so long. I shot one recently where every stage and every malfunction and misstep was discussed in detail. This sometimes makes IDPA frustrating, the biggest key is to do the easiest thing one can do to improve their score: "Learn the rulebook, inside and out"

Yeah, folks lets let the SO/ROs score things. I hate it when somebody from another squad points out a Noshoot/Nonthreat after everything has been pasted and the RO then goes back and gives it to the shooter.

So if that non SO peanut gallery member finds a better hit on a scoring target do you reject it as well?

The shooter should go around with the SO while the targets are being scored. I've caught both hits that the SO didn't, and, on several sad occasions, had to tell the SO he was giving me too many points, as well.

Duane,

Good practice indeed. I have noted that there are two different types of shooters in this regard. Those that want an accurate score and those that want the best score possible even if it is not accurate. It is the later group that has an issue with the peanut gallery pointing things out. I can see you are in the first group by your comment above. And yet you manage to win most of the matches you enter. Hmmmmm. There must be some other factor that comes into play.

kr

• 3 months later...
My para sometimes locks the slide back with a round still left in the mag. This happened during a match yesterday, so I just ejected the mag, popped in a fresh one and continued. When the stage was done, someone pointed out the round left in the mag and wanted the SO to issue a procedural. I explained that the gun was at slidelock, which the SO accepted, since another shooter verified. Should I have gotten the procedural?

If I didn't see you acknowledge a malfunction and attempt to clear it, I would probably have issued a procedural. And while trying to decide whether to issue the PE or not, it would not help your case if you were to point out that the gun does this regularly and you know about the problem.

And I do agree with others...it is not appropriate for the other competitors to be pointing this out to the SO. It's one thing to point out an SO not calling something fairly (i.e. sees the issue but doesn't call it), but it's another thing to start pointing out things that the SO missed. If they are so concerned, then they are welcome to step up and help out as an SO.

If I didn't see you acknowledge a malfunction and attempt to clear it, I would probably have issued a procedural.

I believe the question you need to ask yourself is whether or not a malfunction occurred. How do you "acknowledge" a malfunction in this scenario? The slide locked back, the mag hit the ground, a new mag was loaded into the gun. That's what is supposed to happen. If the slide locked back and there was still a round in the magazine, clearly, a malfunction happened.

And while trying to decide whether to issue the PE or not, it would not help your case if you were to point out that the gun does this regularly and you know about the problem.

What difference does that make? There is no case to be made. Did the gun malfunction or not?

Its a malfunction. The rulebook is very clear about allowing mags (loaded or otherwise) to be dropped when clearing said malfunction.

If you award a PE, then you are going against the rulebook. It doesn't matter if the shooter realized what was happening or not. It doesn't matter how often it happens. It also really doesn't matter if the shooter is inducing it. If you think he is, a +3 isn't the right penalty anyway. +20 is.