Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

no primers

grumpy

For those who dont know, as of April 2 2009 primers are now a commodity. Google primers as commodity.

The big few may be holding shipment/s in order to "starve out" the supply.

Demand then being high, and no supply, the big few may be out to set price at a much higher level.

I've had an order for primers on backorder for 5 cases since November.

I just cant fathom that no primers are available anywhere in any real quantity needed by the competitive shooter- there has to be a bigger reason . . .

That was an April Fool's Day joke. :rolleyes:

:roflol:

Said to say the primers situation is what it is . . . .

Bubba Sanders, owner of Bullseye Supply LLC, in Brandon, Miss., said he has "a number of doctor clients whose financial advisers have told them to invest in ammunition. Beats the hell out of money markets and CDs. You can double your investment in ammunition in a year."

WTF, invest in ammunition ?? What are they seeing to come ?? :angry2:

I saw that article and to me that sounds like the same "financial advisers" who advised clients to buy tech stock at their peak in '01 and realstate at its peak in '07. Gee, invest when prices are high and inventory is low? Sounds backwards to the typical "buy low and sell high" concept. So they will assume the prices can't go anywhere but up?

So like tech stocks and housing, I'm waiting on the ammo bubble to burst. Typical political caveats asside, the "hoarders" and "investors" will eventually get their fill and the manufactures and retailers will regain inventory. I continue to buy from retailers with the integrity to continue to sell at their typical mark-up... all that means is I have to get in line and wait.

-rvb

The law of supply and demand only goes just so far. This market is obviously being driven by rational hazards. Putting politics aside as much as is possible, the supply of ammo and guns in this country is likely to NEVER return to it's pre Obama levels. By the way, I do not own any tin foil hats :)

Edited by larry cazes

Bubba Sanders, owner of Bullseye Supply LLC, in Brandon, Miss., said he has "a number of doctor clients whose financial advisers have told them to invest in ammunition. Beats the hell out of money markets and CDs. You can double your investment in ammunition in a year."

WTF, invest in ammunition ?? What are they seeing to come ?? :angry2:

I saw that article and to me that sounds like the same "financial advisers" who advised clients to buy tech stock at their peak in '01 and realstate at its peak in '07. Gee, invest when prices are high and inventory is low? Sounds backwards to the typical "buy low and sell high" concept. So they will assume the prices can't go anywhere but up?

So like tech stocks and housing, I'm waiting on the ammo bubble to burst. Typical political caveats asside, the "hoarders" and "investors" will eventually get their fill and the manufactures and retailers will regain inventory. I continue to buy from retailers with the integrity to continue to sell at their typical mark-up... all that means is I have to get in line and wait.

-rvb

The law of supply and demand only goes just so far. This market is obviously being driven by rational hazards. Putting politics aside as much as is possible, the supply of ammo and guns in this country is likely to NEVER return to it's pre Obama levels. By the way, I do not own any tin foil hats :)

Truly putting politics asside, I believe you have it backwards. I keep hearing that supply has increased as both gun and ammo manufactures have added shifts etc., so it's not the supply that is the problem. The supply just hasn't increased as much as the demand (or lagged the demand too long). My hypothosis above is that the level of demand will not be sustained. I hope that supply never returns to it's pre-O days considering supply is now greater and there are more shooters, etc. But once the demand drops, the supply will run high for a while to catch up and re-fill the inventory chain, then decline. Just my prediction ignoring the politics. Buy low sell high, not the other way around. Now is not the time to "invest" in ammo... that time was 18 months ago.

-rvb

Buy low sell high, not the other way around. Now is not the time to "invest" in ammo... that time was 18 months ago.

Exactly... like with any other potential "investment" if you are on the curve at all you are behind. People keep getting burned because everyone always says "Invest now prices are rising" be it houses, lead, ammo, etc. These are the people who are WAY behind the curve. The smart "investor" sees the forthcoming trend and plans accordingly. The people who buy after that (typically from said smart investor) end up with a lot of money invested in something that has nowhere to go but down in value (see housing market).

Take your time, shop around and only buy what you need for normal use. You'll be better off till prices normalize. I for one happen to have a few AR-15 Receiver sets that I bought right before the "event" that shall sit in the back of the safe cause it's just insane to try and complete one right now. I'm at about the same spot with ammunition also. Look what people AREN'T buying and buy up!! Brass for one can be found for some great prices right now since scrap pricing dropped like a rock.

Edited by JoshF

the people on gb trying to gaff shooters with sky high pricing, in my book a p o s ripoffs,, supply and demand, smart bus decision, whatever,, i call it greed and xxxxx. i have some for myself,,but the hording and whatever else,,just reminds me of $4 a gallon of gas

Edited by pbosik

Found some Wolf large pistol primers at the gun show today. Retail at Powder Valley use to be around 90 bucks per 5k. They had these priced at over 2x that!! I just couldn't bring myself to pay it. If they were small rifle, I probably would've broke down and paid it. I know supply and demand but, it still sucks. :(

On a positive note, Cabelas had more 223 ammo in stock by Fiochi, Black Hills, Remington and I think PMC than I have seen recently. IIRC it was around 20 bucks per 50 for Fiocchi and 25 per 50 for Remington. Seems still a little high. But, maybe if the 223 ammo starts getting stocked back up they'll start letting some of the production go back to SR primers for us reloaders!

Wishful thinking maybe....?

Thomas

Found some Wolf large pistol primers at the gun show today. Retail at Powder Valley use to be around 90 bucks per 5k. They had these priced at over 2x that!! I just couldn't bring myself to pay it. If they were small rifle, I probably would've broke down and paid it. I know supply and demand but, it still sucks. :(

Thomas

Hell.. one of the BIG local shops started selling primers to folks 200 at a time. 200 per day total!

What a joke. My business now goes elsewhere.. never again.

I managed to grab 3k of federals from midway. their E-mail response told me fed sp match were in but when I went on the site they were out. Later that eveing a friend called when he happened to look and see the fed sp in stock so I jumped in to order. He got shut out but we are going to split the ones I got. I guess you need to have the crackberry tuned in to catch these things cause they were gone in minutes. Maybe BE could make this thread the official where to find primers thread so we could all post when we find some.

Mule

Pretty much a newbie to this game...but i was wondering what it would take to reload a primer?

If the dent in the cap is knocked out, is there any way to mix your own primer filler?

I've been keeping all my old primers and now have a large ziplock full.

~Mike

http://onlinebooks.110mb.com/tm%2031-210/31-210-03-05.htm

I know I've posted this link here before.

Pretty much a newbie to this game...but i was wondering what it would take to reload a primer?

If the dent in the cap is knocked out, is there any way to mix your own primer filler?

~Mike

Man, I couldn't possibly imagine anyone going to that trouble except in a nuclear winter survivalist cave. :rolleyes:

Edited by Steve J

~Mike

Ahhhh...match heads...why didn't i think of that :unsure:

Thanks for the link...man that book has everything...jeez.

Yes...home made primers is a last resort...but who knows when the skill will be needed.

Thanks again, Mike

At a gun show yesterday a normally large supplier of primers had none for sale and no reloaded ammunition for sale. Commercial .223 & 9MM was being grabbed as fast as it was put out. I did see a vendor with 3000 Winchester Large Rifle Magnums asking $55 a 1000 and another vendor had 2000 CCI Large Pistol @ $45 a 1000. Other than that I did not see any other primers available by vendors for sale. Now that I think back I did see a few hundred shotgun primers is sleeves of 100.

Saw several Military reproductions at vastly inflated prices, i.e. $1995 for a Colt Post ban. Another vendor had RRA & High Standard stripped lowers for $175. Full A2 lowers were $350 & A4 lowers were $375.

The number of new handguns available were less than half that of 6 months ago and used guns are selling for as much as new guns.

I arrived at the show a 1/2 hour before the opening as vendor were still setting up and was about the 200th person or so in line for a 3:00-6:00PM first day.

Todays Shooting Wire article by Jim Shepard http://www.shootingwire.com/ has a pretty good take

on the primer issue. Makes sense. The part about US Customs has me a little....irritated.

The article, past half way through the feature piece is at the bottom of the page.

Jim

"Industry leaders tell us there's no conspiracy to keep primers off the market, but loaded ammunition demands are sucking up what has normally been an adequate supply. As there aren't terrific numbers of primer manufacturers domestically, efforts are being made to import primers to meet the demand. Quantities of those, we've been told, are being delayed on the docks by United States Customs."

Damn!

A.T.