Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Pocket Reamers

Sarge

I posted earlier about 9mm Winchester primer pockets being a little tighter than other brass. I am looking for the perfect solution to this problem. I am guessing a pocket reamer will be all I need but I want a good one. I don't need any more machines cluttering up the bench so I am looking at manual tools. Any suggestions?

The two things I know about primer pockets are that military ones are crimped, which can be removed, and that the flash hole can be reamed to be uniform among cases. I don't personally reload military brass and can't use the accuracy the flash hole project will provide. Spend your dough on practice ammo, that's what will get you ahead. If the primers fit tight, all the better. They won't fall out. Don't worry about it. Any extra work will be a waste of time.

I also shoot silhouette, but in this game, accuracy only need be so good. Of course you want confidence in your equipment, but I doubt many people even bother to sort brass. Load 'em and shoot 'em!

Maybe I need to clarify. I don't come accross much military brass. But alot of WIN brass I am getting are too tight for the primer to seat all the way. I want to ream them a little so they load as well as the rest of my brass. 1/2 of the brass I picked up this week alone was WIN brass so that is enough to make it worth the extra work of reaming it out. Thanks

Maybe I need to clarify. I don't come accross much military brass. But alot of WIN brass I am getting are too tight for the primer to seat all the way. I want to ream them a little so they load as well as the rest of my brass. 1/2 of the brass I picked up this week alone was WIN brass so that is enough to make it worth the extra work of reaming it out. Thanks

If you are talking volume.. I can't say enough good things about the Dillon Swager.

I would check your press/priming tool. I've found the opposite that Win brass is a bit more soft than R/P. However, if you're looking for a good uniformer (which is what I'd use instead of a swager) go for the Sinclair with drill attachment. Chuck the uniformer in to a drill and knock 'em out.

Rich

Another happy Dillon Super-Swage user but, I can't help but wonder if there isn't something else wrong. I can't imagine having to do anything to regular Winchester brass, I've found it very easy to prime. I did read a post somewhere about Winchester "subbing out" some cartridge work to S&B (which, DOES have tight pockets) some time ago so, maybe it was true...?

Maybe the Win brass you are coming across is once fired or only fired minor and the other brands have been fired more or used in a 9 major and the primer pocket has expanded some.

A primer pocket reamer is not going to make the hole wider, just make the pocket deeper.

If you are thinking of a reamer for 9mm Winchester brass....something is wrong.

Is it regular "White Box"?

Is it some type of NT brass?

What primers?

What reloading machine?

What are you comparing it to? Speer brass?

Maybe bring a handful or two to your next match, ready as you normally prepare it, and see if you can get an experienced 9mm loader to take it home and try it out. (Or mail me some. I'd be able to tell, real quick, if it was S&B derived.)

Most folks loading PISTOL ammo at home never do any kind of brass prep. So I too would suspect something else is wrong here.

WIN NT are the only Winchester brass that should be tight. Whenever I find a WIN NT case I just toss it. I dont see too many of them. But regular Winchester brass is great. Not tight at all, and more uniform than any other brand of brass out there.

Hey everybody thanks for all the input. This is all I know for sure. I load on a new 550. I use WSP . The following load smooth as silk, FC, RP, CCI Blazer, Speer, CCI, Most S&B, etc. But WIN will feel much tighter. If I get a high primer it is WIN brass. The fact is if I have an issue that stops my loading process it is due to WIN brass. Granted , I have mentioned before that maybe I am just afraid to keep pushing when it feels too tight. I got mixed opinions on that issue. I thought I had read that others have had some problems with primers seating crooked in Winchester brass. I will keep working on it. Thanks

Whats weird here is I normally have no problems with WIN brass, but I DO have problems with FC & S&B. They are abnormally tight (with FC being the tighter of the 2) so I usually toss them too. :unsure: FC for sure .... S&B I can usually deal with.

Sheesh, it seem like people's experiences are all over the place. I haven't had any problems loading Winchester small pistol primers into 9mm Win, NT or not. I also have been able to load FC w/o problems. S&B I've had occasional problems with.

May be some of the manufacturers of both pistol brass and primers are occasionally subbing out production, and we end up dealing with the tolerance stack.

I've never had a primer go off by seating it hard.

I have had one go off by the lip of the primer pocket catching the edge and "peeling" the side of the primer.

Maybe bring a handful or two to your next match, ready as you normally prepare it, and see if you can get an experienced 9mm loader to take it home and try it out. (Or mail me some. I'd be able to tell, real quick, if it was S&B derived.)

Will add my voice to the chorus that I NEVER had problems with Winchester brass...in fact, it's my gold standard that I use for set up and for match brass.

S&B brass, on the other hand, is always easy to identify. It's the one that feels like something is wrong on the primer seating stroke on my 550B...always seats, but always requires twice the force of anything else.

Curtis