Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee's undersized vs. EGW's?

Alan Adamson

Same/same. Lee makes them to EGW's specs. Lee doesn't usually list them on their website, but I believe if you call you can order one direct. R,

Thanks all.... Guess I'm stuck, there are none to be had for many months in the future... Anyone got one they want to part with in 40 S&W? I'm in need...

Thanks. I called both Lee and EGW and got the same story... :(

Alan

Same/same. Lee makes them to EGW's specs. Lee doesn't usually list them on their website, but I believe if you call you can order one direct. R,

Thanks all.... Guess I'm stuck, there are none to be had for many months in the future... Anyone got one they want to part with in 40 S&W? I'm in need...

Thanks. I called both Lee and EGW and got the same story... :(

Alan

Alan if you find someone with 2 of them... I am looking... I have been searching high and low. Can't find a U-Die for .40 S&W anywhere either... I also called and have been to several gun shows and searched the internet to the end...

udie.JPG

Edited by hdrules59

Found em... and I suppose the guys with them may hate me, but if you are looking, I think the guys at henningshootsguns.com have 4 or 5... (edit now 2 or 3 :)

I just ordered one and talked to them to verify availability.

Anyway, if looking for a egw U die, there are a *few* in circulation :)

ps. Also "franksremote" on these forums may have a couple, he was going to check and in the interim, I found one. I've not heard back from him if he has them. So be advised.

Thanks all!

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

Found em... and I suppose the guys with them may hate me, but if you are looking, I think the guys at henningshootsguns.com have 4 of 5...

I just ordered one and talked to them to verify availability.

Anyway, if looking for a egw U die, there are a *few* in circulation :)

ps. Also "franksremote" on these forums may have a couple, he was going to check and in the interim, I found one. I've not heard back from him if he has them. So be advised.

Thanks all!

Alan

Found them on line at henningshootsguns.com and ordered one as well...

Thanks Alan.... great find....

I hate to to you all this, but the standard Lee .40 sizing die will size down far enough to take out the Glock bulge without the herky jerky movememnt on your press. If you are going to put it on a progressive make sure you use your standard die first to do most of the work and then the undersize die right after it to take the last little bit out, it will make life a lot easier on you and your arm........ :cheers:

Good luck,

DougC

I hate to to you all this, but the standard Lee .40 sizing die will size down far enough to take out the Glock bulge without the herky jerky movememnt on your press. If you are going to put it on a progressive make sure you use your standard die first to do most of the work and then the undersize die right after it to take the last little bit out, it will make life a lot easier on you and your arm........ :cheers:

Good luck,

DougC

Thanks Doug... That is the plan as you stated...

If you are going to put it on a progressive make sure you use your standard die first to do most of the work and then the undersize die right after it to take the last little bit out, it will make life a lot easier on you and your arm

On range brass I run them through the "U" die first on a single stage press. This lets me inspect each case before I dump it into the case feeder.

With the brass I have fired in my G35 with an aftermarket barrel, I just run them through the 650 with dillon dies. No problem so far.

I hate to to you all this, but the standard Lee .40 sizing die will size down far enough to take out the Glock bulge without the herky jerky movememnt on your press.

I haven't found that to be true at all. The Lee sizing die gets quite a bit of the Glock belly out, but not all of it. It is, however, better than any other standard die I'm aware of. Even the U-die won't get all of the belly out of the cases. It comes pretty close, but still leaves some. Combine the U-die with a shell plate that's turned down and you can get about 98% of it out, but not that last little bit right before the extractor groove. I was trying to come up with a combo that made the cases like new, and that's as close a combo as I could come up with.

Some, maybe even many, guns won't need anything more than a standard Lee resizing die. Other guns will need a U-die (or Casepro)....it really just depends. The good thing is that if you use a U-die it's very unlikely that you're going to run into a gun that won't chamber your ammo. As a bonus the U-die does increase bullet pull (neck tension) so setback is less likely and setback (even a little) can not only increase pressures, but induce failures to feed. It's like a win-win-win situation.

Either run the brass through the U-die by itself of slap a Dillon sizing die in station one, pop the U-die in station two, pull the decapping pin out of the U-die, add a touch of lube to the empty cases and the press will run like a top and turn out good ammo.

The Gizmo another option.

100_0359.jpg

From the creator...

The gizmo is an auxillary die holder that fits in the top of a single stage press. It has a port in the side to insert cases, and a pushrod that fits the ram. A stroke on the handle shoves the case all the way through the carbide die ( furnished ) that rides atop the holder. See att. photo. In stock for same day shipping. Just send $74.95, check or Postal M.O. to Target Arms, P.O.Box 326, Grand River OH 44045.

Just in case anyone is curious... This would completely resize the case, however, the casepro still would do the extractor groove which none of these solutions will.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
The Gizmo another option.

100_0359.jpg

From the creator...

The gizmo is an auxillary die holder that fits in the top of a single stage press. It has a port in the side to insert cases, and a pushrod that fits the ram. A stroke on the handle shoves the case all the way through the carbide die ( furnished ) that rides atop the holder. See att. photo. In stock for same day shipping. Just send $74.95, check or Postal M.O. to Target Arms, P.O.Box 326, Grand River OH 44045.

Just in case anyone is curious... This would completely resize the case, however, the casepro still would do the extractor groove which none of these solutions will.

Alan

Have you run into any issues with this set up? ie: cases stuck for any reason? Looks like a great option. I run the Lee U-die on my 550, but can get a single stage from a buddy pretty cheap and may set this up on it....

z-

Have you run into any issues with this set up? ie: cases stuck for any reason? Looks like a great option. I run the Lee U-die on my 550, but can get a single stage from a buddy pretty cheap and may set this up on it....

z-

I really like this setup... I think it's better than the Redding because there is some support for the case during alignment and insertion in to the sizing die.

I runs flawlessly in a Single stage Lee press that I have. I also took a small rectangular tupperware, drilled a hole in it with a uni-bit and fit it onto the top of the FCD, then cut a square hole in the bottom at the end and placed a larger bucket under that. I can size 300 cases is about 15 minutes and not have to touch the top of this setup.

NOTE: one modification that I did make... because there are threads inside the FCD that are exposed, and because the cases aren't supported above the sizing insert (only about 3/8 of inch in the bottom of the die), the threads will catch the top of the case as they stack up in the inside of the die.

I took a 3x5 card, rolled it on a pencil, and cut it so that one wrap, overlapped, would slide down inside the die. This protects the brass from the threads and doesn't effect anything else.

This is really a great setup... I'd like to see it in 45 and 9mm :).

Never had a stuck case, and I'm not using any lube whatsoever... a little wax in the tumbling prior to sizing is all.

Hope this helps,

Alan

I know that you can order both underrsixe and oversize dies from Lee. I woinder if they are sorts from their manufacturing process and would normally be rejected.

Curious.

I know that EGW uses the Lee die in their U die. But do they do anything different to them?

If I were able to get one direct from Lee, is it the same?

Alan