Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which of the 2 do you like the best?

target1911

Ghost,..I did not like the CR Speed with my tanfoglio. It appeared to get snagged a lot....even in unlocked mode. If you cut it and do some dremel work it appears to work fine. I can use the Ghost with my 4.5" 9mm stock2,..and my 5" limited .40,...

A holster I really liked but stopped using as it was not available at the time,..is the HS Speedsec. The lever is easily swept off during the draw. You can also start unlocked but you would not want to move in that position.

My experience is based on STI style guns. I like my Ghost. The lever moves up or down to lock it. So, when I am done with a stage I use my thumb to rotate the lever up to lock the holster. This way the lever is behind the grip and protected from anything hitting it. When I am locking for a stage {if you are sitting at the start} I rotate it down that way you can still draw and swipe the lever with your finger. When it is locked I don't see how it can fall without taking the belt with it. There probably are a lot better holsters but you will pay a lot more. I also like how it will hold a 5", 6" or Open blaster with no adjustments needed. Look at their mag holders too, I wish they made them for the single stack mags.

I need to add that I hate POLLS!!! :wacko:

And for what its worth, the holster used in 3 gun that was there for more dropped pistols than I can count is the Kydex style holster that does not have a positive locking device (the pistol is "held" by friction in the holster). If you're thinking about 3 gun, and want to shoot a division that requires a "duty" style or Kydex holster, get one with a positive locking device.

jj

I have several of both holsters mentioned in the poll. Susan and I both have knocked/dropped a gun from the CR Speed WSMII models, even though they were locked. It's enough to really piss you off for someone to bump into you and knock your gun out of your locked holster (CR Speed).

Since using the Ghost holsters, no dropped gun. I really like the locking mechanism on the Ghost, and how I can unlock it so fast during a draw if I needed to. The thing about the Ghost holster, the gun MUST be lifted UP to come out of the holster, so bumping it from behind is not going to make it fall out like can happen with the CR Speed.

Hands down, we prefer the Ghost over the CR Speed 100%

One thing I learned with the Ghost is to lock it by rotating the lever down. If you lock it in the up position and are wearing a jacket or something during cold weather the jacket can get between the gun and your body and as you rotate your body it can unlock the holster unbeknownst to you.

Don't ask me how I found out.........

The first and only race holster I used was a ghost holster. I really like it, even though I've had my pistol fall to the floor during dry fire practice. I bent over to pick up a magazine and my thigh knocked it out of the unlocked holster.

I picked Ghost because I have one and like it- although I just started using it.

Question: Do most of you always start with the lock lever in the down position on any stage that requires any movement before a draw? Or anything other than a standing start position?

I picked Ghost because I have one and like it- although I just started using it.

Question: Do most of you always start with the lock lever in the down position on any stage that requires any movement before a draw? Or anything other than a standing start position?

Yup. Anything that requires more than a couple steps prior to the draw, or any seated / chair starts I put the lever in the "down" position, which only requires a quick flip with the trigger finger to release. I've done it on stages that required you to pick up a briefcase or something else but did not require any shooting until the briefcase was either set back down, or made more secure.

What I was talking about in post # 32 is I have seen more than one shooter disassemble the locking lever and flip it 180 degrees to prevent what Neomet was talking about happening with your coat inadvertently "unlocking" the holster. That kind of defeats the purpose / ability to put the lever in the down position on a chair start. :(

Lots of info about both set ups. I currently have a CR Speed tho I havnt used it in a match yet....only during dry fire. I will say that I am not that impressed with drawing from this holster. It is not smooth at all.

I now (thanks to all of the replies) have a Ghost on the way. I will try it and see how I like it. I do plan to shoot both during a day of practice at the range. I will make my final decision then. I will give brief "Personal Opinion" of both shortly there after. It will be about 2wks before I will have a chance to go to the range.

Please keep the replies coming. I like to know everything, pros and cons, to look for while I am testing both holsters.

Thanks again