Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Perfect Practice"

bkeeler

What do you consider "Perfect Practice"?

Dry fire or Live fire.

For me I think it is doing things the proper way and not letting bad habits set in. You can do things fast the wrong way(trying to beat a par time) when just doing them the correct way will actually be faster(it is for me). This is why I don't use a timer for dry fire.

Also being able to tell when you are actually doing things the wrong way and correcting those things.

:cheers:

BK

I suppose I keep it much more simple, Did I achieve what I wanted to out of whatever type of practice I was doing? OR Did I learn or see something new in my training?

Those are the two things that when I sit down at the end of the night I always ask myself.

My practices consist of two elements. First, I try re-enforce the fundamentals. Second, I try to push the limits on certain elements or develop a new skill. Every practice has a goal. This is true regardless if it dry fire or live fire.

I have noticed two things in particular. First, when I practice with my .22 on a .22 plate rack - very small plates-4 or 6 inches. My technique really smooths out and my accuracy increases in the next match. Second, the less than perfect practice with my .40 results in a better match. A really smooth practice seems to translate into a poorer performance.

DRYFIE for "TECHNIQUE"

LIVE FIRE for "PRACTICE"

I agree. Dryfire for technique, form, and muscle memory. But I have to have live fire for recoil/muzzle rise control, tracking the sights or dot, and re-inforcing my belief that I actually am calling my shots correctly.

Local matches and some occasional drills are my only live fire practice so they will have to do.

Perfect practice to me = 1000rds and a berm alone with no distractions...it will never happen as at least two people must be at the range to shoot and there is no place around here to shoot off the range.

Dryfire practice is always evolving for me, after the basic I'm usually focusing on some weakness in my game.

Since I don't have the creative abilities to design good livefire practice stages I usually pick out the skills that are going to be required for an upcoming match or classifier. As an example right now I'm working on the longrange stuff and fast reloads for an upcoming classifier match.

Perfect Practice - Constantly evolving definition of whatever you do that increases your performance.

I stumbled onto your site a few months ago and thought I had found the key to training. At first it appeared that you routinely posted live fire practice drills for your visitors. Is there any chance you will get those going again?

Those were actually dry fire drills (although they could definitely be used in live-fire). I have planned on getting back to it, but haven't wanted to until I could really dive into it. I've actually been working on an addition to the dryfire WODs in an effort to increase the intensity that we use in training. Higher intensity = better results. But I haven't wanted to post anything until I've had a chance to properly guinea pig it on myself.

Thank you very much for the kind words though. Keep checking, I'll be getting back to it as soon as possible.

Those were actually dry fire drills (although they could definitely be used in live-fire). I have planned on getting back to it, but haven't wanted to until I could really dive into it. I've actually been working on an addition to the dryfire WODs in an effort to increase the intensity that we use in training. Higher intensity = better results. But I haven't wanted to post anything until I've had a chance to properly guinea pig it on myself.

Thank you very much for the kind words though. Keep checking, I'll be getting back to it as soon as possible.

SAWEET!! :cheers: