Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bagging your gun between stages

Seen this at a couple of our matches, and have heard it's more common, even at bigger matches.

I didn't get a chance to ask, but what are the advantages of doing this? Seems inconvenient, but maybe I'm missing the reasoning behind doing this.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen this at a couple of our matches, and have heard it's more common, even at bigger matches.

I didn't get a chance to ask, but what are the advantages of doing this? Seems inconvenient, but maybe I'm missing the reasoning behind doing this.

I asked someone who was doing this and the answer I received was that it was easier to paste targets, reset, etc... and for Range Officers they don't have to worry when running around with the shooter with a timer in their hand.

Possibly when the weather is bad, to keep the elements off the gun?

Takes that weight off the belt and the hip too. Some people don't carry regularly or don't want the weight there. Kinda smart at a major match really, especially if it's prolonged over 3 or 4 days of shooting.

As a person with a wrecked back (5 squished discs) <_<

Taking weight off between stages helps.

And its lots better setting steel and movers with out the gun in the way when bending down.

If you have your stuff together it does not slow things down.

Jim

I've never done this, but after inadvertantly spraying my gun with white paint while repainting steel, I'm going to seriously consider it.

As a person with a wrecked back (5 squished discs) <_<

Taking weight off between stages helps.

And its lots better setting steel and movers with out the gun in the way when bending down.

If you have your stuff together it does not slow things down.

Jim

Carry a 40 oz open gun and three or four mags each loaded with 23 rds, it don't take long to get a little heavy. Anything I can do that will reduce the wear and tear on my back is needed. I'm a big advocate of taping and setting steel between shooters. I like to say, I'll stay with my strengths. Hand me the tape. Hauling that extra weight tends to sap my strength after a while. Maybe its just something us "old farts" need to deal with.

As long as there are safety areas nearby and I don't slow down the match by bagging between stages, I' ll continue to do it.

Bill

edited to add: I shot my second "Production Class" match a little over a week ago. That Glock and 10 round magazines weigh next to nothing. I almost forgot to bag it when it was time to head home.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Most of the places I shoot at tend to be dusty....the Southwest is kinda known for that. Even with a gun cover you'll get a decent layer of grit on the gun. It just bothers me to look at the barrel and see dirt building up in the lube....just can't be good!

I just shoot the stage, walk directly to the safety area, bag the gun, put my full mags in the bag, clean/reload the used mags and everything is ready for the next stage. I don't like baggin/unbagging as the shooter....slows down the operation and it's one more thing to think about. R,

wow, makes a lot of sense now that I think about it/read about it.

Might have to start doing this myself, lord knows I'm carrying around enough weight as it is, lol.

You do know that shooters that do not reside in the State of Texas are not permitted to bag between stages at

Space City. :rolleyes:

IF you're working, or have a medical condition, it's an alright practice IMHO. Otherwise, take your mags off and just wear the dang pistol.

That said, if you're shooting in Reno or "The Sand Pit" in Michigan, then the above statement is retracted and do whatever you can to keep the lapping compound (I mean sand) out of your gun, mags, and anything else of importance.

Rich

wow, makes a lot of sense now that I think about it/read about it.

Might have to start doing this myself, lord knows I'm carrying around enough weight as it is, lol.

You do know that shooters that do not reside in the State of Texas are not permitted to bag between stages at

Space City. :rolleyes:

but it helps me tape and set steel faster! :mellow:

IF you're working, or have a medical condition, it's an alright practice IMHO. Otherwise, take your mags off and just wear the dang pistol.

That said, if you're shooting in Reno or "The Sand Pit" in Michigan, then the above statement is retracted and do whatever you can to keep the lapping compound (I mean sand) out of your gun, mags, and anything else of importance.

Rich

For those of us shaped like a pear, baggin the gun is an important part of keeping our belts from around our ankles.

For those of us shaped like a pear, baggin the gun is an important part of keeping our belts from around our ankles.

I hear CR Speed is coming out with suspenders for us pear shaped fellows.... :mellow:

:roflol:

Edited by Aristotle

Ok, so you finish a stage. IYFHDH. So you walk back to your range bag and put your pistol in a bag. DQ! :surprise:

What am I missing?

A.T.

Either you bag your gun at ULSC. OR put the gun in your holster, grab your gun rug on and go to the safety area and bag it.

When you are next up, bring your gun rug with you, and holster at the LAMR.

I don't know what IYFHDH means without googling it, but if you are going to bag your gun and not get DQ'ed, you probably need to go to a safe area :rolleyes:

dj

If Your Finished, Hammer Down, Holster.

A.T.

Most of the reasons here are why I use a Bladetech DOH for limited. Its more comfortable than a Ghost, covers most of the gun and the gun won't get bumped out of the holster while working between shooting.

Edited by TMC

Well for me, I am considering the "weight and comfort" benefits as well as keeping my gun and more importantly my Optic out of the elements (Washington is known to have some rain).

I have absolutely no issues/concerns with my CR Speed holster holding my gun securely.

bigdawg, "the sand pit in Michigan", must be at Dorr. Yes, a bit sandy. You could lose a mag in that stuff.

Other than locations such as the range at Dorr, MI, or Sharon, Ontario, where I lost an 8 round Devel mag back when they were new, I just wear the gun all the time. The mags I usually take off all but one.

Edited by SharonAnne9x23

I don't bag my gun between stages but I can see the advantage when I'm RO'ing. Might be easier to keep up with the young fast shooters plus I wouldn't have to worry about knocking my gun off on a wall or something.

I will never forget the poor Open shooter I saw at the Mud Bowl Nats who dropped his blaster into the gunk leaning over to set a popper. Mud was dripping out of the comp and out of the magwell, and the dot sight reticule looked like the windshield of a junk yard car. I don't know if he was able to get it all out... :wacko:

Don't want to drop them...