Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caracal - Shorter Sight Radius?

ChuckS

Interesting.

I can see the logic behind the sights. At the encounter ranges they assume most subcompacts are used at, sights are probably not used much anyway.

The safety is a strange setup. Has anyone shot one and can comment on the design?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is where you want to look if you're considering buying one. Several models are shipping as of 10-15 days ago.

One of the threads says that the introductory price, for members of the Styer Forum, is $550. They also said these were the first 250 pistols imported to the U.S. I wonder if they've made 2,000 and will consider certifying them for USPSA Production?

http://www.steyrclub.com/vb/forums/91-Caracal-USA-amp-Waffen-Werks

Edit to add: I sent a note to find out if they intend to certify for USPSA Production.

Edited by G-ManBart

• 4 weeks later...

I got to handle, but not shoot, both the F and C models today. The C had the Quick Sight setup on it. The trigger was surprisingly good on both....about 4.5lbs give or take, pretty short pre-travel, nice reset (not quite as heavy a click as a Glock, but more than an M&P). The F has a bit of a hump/ridge in the grip that I wasn't too thrilled with, but it was less noticeable on the C. The F also indexed a lot like a Glock to me...a little nose high. The C indexed much closer to what I get with a 1911 or 2011. I found that the Quick Sight was actually pretty decent; to the point I'm sure it would be fine at most reasonable distances. The grip was closer to the boreline at the rear of the frame, and nearly identical to a Glock at the trigger. I'd really like to give one a try, if only for gee whiz factor. R,

I have shot both the full size (F) version and the compact size with the quick sights. We actually used one as a prop gun at our Toys for Tots match last month-that gun was given away in a drawing. Over 80 shooters of various experience each shot 6 rounds through it, no problems or hiccups. I just started shooting mine in IDPA and so far have been very impressed with it. It does have a low bore axis like a P7, no chance of slide bite, and the trigger feels to me, better than a glock. It has a positive but not "forceful" reset. Funny thing about the grips, guys with big hands like the feel, while my wife with small hands also likes the feel. As I understand, a sample will be sent to USPSA for their approval process in the near future.

Regarding the compact with the quick sights, I really like that gun. It is amazing how fast the sights seemed to come up on target. Even with the short sight radius, one could still hit 8 inch steel plates at 20 yards without much difficulty.

• 1 year later...

Admin. note: thread merged. (hit the search page)

jj racaza is apparently shooting production with a caracal.

Anyone ever hear of or seen this gun?

Sorry didn't find the two year old thread...(darn, no roll eyes icon from phone)

Admin. note: thread merged. (hit the search page)

jj racaza is apparently shooting production with a caracal.

Anyone ever hear of or seen this gun?

There are no Caracals on the Production approved list.

Exactly, not sure how he plans to shoot it

There are no Caracals on the Production approved list.

Exactly, not sure how he plans to shoot it

There is a process to get a gun on the production list. If the gun meets the rules why wouldn't USPSA let it in. I am sure Caracal and or JJ have looked into it.

I am happy to see guys get production deals and factory rides.

• 1 month later...

I posted this elsewhere too so sorry if redundant (mods remove if so). I borrowed one to T&E and it's pretty cool. I wound up taking the non-QS 2 dot version.

http://www.recoilsports.com/2012/06/review-of-the-caracal-f-part-1-initial-thoughts/

I'll be adding more reviews as time permits, but overall I think it'll be a contender once on the Production list.