Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production or Limited minor?

Mikej

Hello: I shot my first match a couple of weeks ago with my 625. The revolver shooting is fun and I plan to continue but I wanted to shoot the next match with my Glock 34. Should I shoot Production or Limited minor? I have plenty of 17 round magazines to use in limited. Both would be scored minor so that is not really a factor. What do you suggest?

Mike

Hello: I shot my first match a couple of weeks ago with my 625. The revolver shooting is fun and I plan to continue but I wanted to shoot the next match with my Glock 34. Should I shoot Production or Limited minor? I have plenty of 17 round magazines to use in limited. Both would be scored minor so that is not really a factor. What do you suggest?

Mike

Do whatever you think will be more fun.

It depends on whether you want to be able to compare your results with the other folks in your division without thinking "yeah, but they shot Major and had 20-21 round magazines so they didn't have to reload as much". If you don't care about that, it doesn't matter. If you want to be able to compare your results based on an even playing field, shoot Production where everyone is scored minor and nobody has more than 10rds in their mags. R,

New shooters seem to like the extra capacity...even at the expense of being scored minor against others that are scored major.

- In Production, everybody is scored Minor power factor. Capacity is limited to 10 (+1 in the chamber after the Make Ready command)

- In Limited, 40 caliber and larger can make Major power factor. Few shoot minor. Capacity is whatever a mag will hold that is 140mm of shorter (this allows about a +4 or +5 base pad).

Production is the mother ship for the G34, fwiw.

I have shot Limited with my G34 and I did not like it much, scoring minor is a pretty big disadvantage. I love shooting Production it is fun figuring out the most effective way to break down a stage, with only 10 rds in your gat. You get pretty good at reloads too.

Ditto what Flexmoney stated.

To be competitive (if you care about such things) shoot your G34 in Production.

I sometimes shoot my G34 declaring Limited just to see how stages break down differently. If you are fortunate enough to shoot at a club that allows competitors to reshoot the match, give this a try sometime.

Ditto what Flexmoney stated.

To be competitive (if you care about such things) shoot your G34 in Production.

I sometimes shoot my G34 declaring Limited just to see how stages break down differently. If you are fortunate enough to shoot at a club that allows competitors to reshoot the match, give this a try sometime.

I shoot a G-35 loaded to minor in production. A few times I have shot limited because of range conditions - I wanted to drop as few mags as possible on the muddy ground. I can not say that it compares badly to the same setup with major loads. Maybe there is more of a difference closer to the top of the game.

Yeah, number 3 overall in this match was really at a dissadvantage :surprise: It all depends. If you shoot A's it does not matter. That is exactly what Kenny did. One 30 ish round stage his time was right there with the open guns and only dropped 3 charlies :cheers: I'm going to hate to see it when he gets used to the new gun.

FEBRUARY 2009

Match Overall Results

Place Competitor USPSA Class Division PF Cat Match Pts

1 Tim TY22858 M Open Major 670.0000

2 RAYMOND L1425 M Open Major 571.3301

3 Kenny TY44332 B Lim Minor 557.4686

4 DAVID TY30555 M Open Major 526.5345

5 ROEL U Open Major 518.6286

6 ROGER A49127 B Open Major 518.2255

7 Larry TY22427 A Open Major 490.6434

8 Phil A30492 B Open Major 485.0384

9 TOM GM Lim Major 465.4886

10THEODORE TY23169 B Open Major 457.7367

I shoot Limited Minor with a STI 9mm because that is what I have. Once I got past the " but they all are shooting major except me ", I started having fun. It does not matter if you shoot all Alphas, and I think the low recoil makes up for the difference. Shoot what you enjoy the most and have fun.

thanks,

George

• 2 weeks later...
I have shot Limited with my G34 and I did not like it much, scoring minor is a pretty big disadvantage. I love shooting Production it is fun figuring out the most effective way to break down a stage, with only 10 rds in your gat. You get pretty good at reloads too.

+1 , I think everyone should start out in production, it teaches basic skills and (reloads) pounds them into the ground. Too many shooters start the game with high $$$$ guns and skip some of the important basic skills (breaking down stages, reloads, round counting, etc.).

Go with production, get the basic skills and then after you become a jedi knight, move to Limited and slay em!!!