Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.5 creedmore or .260

M.E.Anglin

Just got a rem short action, and I have George Vias here in Idaho to build it, just trying to figure out wich way to go, do you think the creedmore is here to stay for a while??? or stick with the .260, plenty of brass around, and nosler is making some good stuff. any words of wisdom would be good. :wacko:

Hello, M.E!

I built a .260 Ackley Improved a while back. Love it! But, if I had to recommend it to a friend, I would probably say, "just go for the .260 Remington". Nothing wrong with the .260AI, but after pushing some 142 SMKs to 2950 in a 26" barrel, I realized that my primer Remington pockets were loose after only two loadings. Now, I'm loading the same bullet to 2,850 fps using necked-up .243 Lapua brass. My brass lasts a long time and I don't sweat barrel erosion.

I'm pretty sure that I could do what I'm doing now without the AI modification. But, the round does look very cool.

I'd say go .260 Remmy and load with the easily necked-up Lapua brass.

-Sam

Your Welcome!

Yes, I've been eying the Nosler brass too. I never thought I'd get to say this but, "I bought the Lapua because it was cheap". :blink: Seems like it was $84.00 per hundred from Graff's.

Plus, if you are suffering from "Obama Doomsday Panic" (ODP) like shooters everywhere, you can always find .243, 7-08, and .308 to work with. .243 is easy and 7-08 I've used with no problems. Yes, .308 will need to be neck turned, but what else will I have to do in my bunker? :roflol:

Just keep it a 243. Way better than a 260 and if you throat the barrel to take the 115gr. DTAC's, you're in there with better wind and velocity.

243 is a good caliber (I have one) but could be a barrel burner. If you are pushing the 115 DTAC's at 3000 FPS you will have short barrel life.

As for the 6.5 Creedmore or a 260, either one is a good choice. Hornady is loading factory ammo for the 6.5 Creedmore. Also GA Precision has BH 260 ammo and so does Corbon. You can also just load for both calibers.

6.5X47 is the way to go, brass is expensive but it is far superior than anything that is available for the 260, I have both in a Badger M2008 and they are both great but the 260 requires more work in regards to brass prep.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootou...-6.5-creedmoor/

Edited by boynty77

That Tubb in Zaks article is mine. I shot everything from 6XC to 308 to 6.5 Creedmore to 6CM in it. I finally settled on 6CM.

The 6.5 Creedmore is good and does well against the 260 but brass can be a bitch to find. 260 brass can be made from lots of calibers. Seating long VLD bullets at mag length is easier with the Creedmore. The 6.5x47 is an option as well, and a good one.

After shooting a match in the fall of 08 with Kelly McMillan, I now shoot a AI that I rebarreled to 6CM.

Right now I am planning on building a gas gun in 260 around a gen III POF AR-10 lower. I have all these SR-25 mags I need to do something with...

6.5X47 is the way to go, brass is expensive but it is far superior than anything that is available for the 260, I have both in a Badger M2008 and they are both great but the 260 requires more work in regards to brass prep.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootou...-6.5-creedmoor/

I am not quite convinced the 6.5x47 lapua is that much better than the 260. I think that Zak concludes that the 260 and the 6.5x47 are almost identical, and that the 260 offers more versatility. Go with the 260.

An excellent article nevertheless.

I love my Creedmoor. With the 2mm shorter case the long bullets work better. They fit the AI mags better than the 260. I shoot the 140 Berger and the 142 SMK. The brass is really quite good, allot of people want Lapua brass but I don't have any problems with the Hornady brass. If you reload, the case design is great. I get almost no brass stretch with the almost straight case walls. The Hornady dies are match grade and with so few reamers in the country the dies match all of the reamers that are out there. The case capacity from the 6.5 Creedmoor to the 260 is the same and I just started using the 260 data. If you don't reload why would you choose anything but the Creedmoor. Match ammo is 23 bucks a box and it shoots great. You may also be thinking about the 6.5x47. But I have noticed that the 6.5x47 guys can't quite get to the same velocity's that the 6.5creedmoor guys can. And they are running higher pressures.

In all reality, the 6.5 Creedmoor, the 6.5x47 Lapua and the 260 are so close that they are the same thing. The advantage to the Creedmoor is if you are required to shoot factory ammo at a training facility the factory ammo is almost as good or better than most hand loads. And Hornady is selling the ammo for just about the cost of the components, You could just buy ammo and spend more time shooting with it plus costing you about the same as reloading.

I picked the Creedmoor based on the case design. If you were to start from scratch to make your own cartridge to fit in a magazine feed bolt gun or semi auto, the Creedmoor is very close the perfect design. Very little case taper, 30 deg shoulders, a long enough case neck to help with throat erosion and a case built for magazine length. And the brass is really good. I have some of the first stuff and it’s all gone now. The new cases will have a harder case head, so if you pick the Creedmoor all of the brass that you get now will have the harder head brass.

Scott

The .243 will outwork both of them but at the cost of replacing a barrel nearly twice as often as the .260 and 6.5x47. I had a 6.5 in an F-class rifle and I would reach for that everytime over the .260. Like adam mentioned the brass is a bitch to buy to start with but once you do you are in the door. Some people get twice as many reloads out of their 6.5x47 brass as .260 with annealing. Also the 6.5 has less recoil. I haven't drank the Hornady cool-aid.

Isaac

Why not go for the 7-08?

-Can launch a heavier bullet with higher BC at the same velocities.

-Easy to find brass.

-Decent factory loadings.

-Tons of great bullets with high BC's.

I've had the .260, GA Precision built me one on a Surgeon action in an AICS. The .260 left lots to be desired compared to my .308 with the 155 Bergers. People talked about the .260 as if it were the holy grail, but it ain't. I just sold my 7WSM last week and I miss it already. I'm thinking about making my 7-08 into a 7WSM. It will do anything the 7-08 will, just better!

Have you ever thought of the 6mm Remington option? This is my primary p-dog gun, and I think in most ways is superior to the 243 my Dad uses. Brass is not that hard to find, it gives up almost nothing to the 6mm-284, except a whole lot less powder. I know it was not one of your choices, but is worth a look, if the wind is a factor, my 22-250, and .223's dont even come out of the truck on the dog town.

To the OP...

What are you going to use it for?

If you will use it for Tactical/Sniper matches I'd get the .260. (lost brass matches)

If you will use it for F-Class or other static games I'd get the 6.5 Creedmoor. (brass right there to pick up)

light use T/S matches some static games, and just general plinking, possibility of lossing some brass, but not planning on that to much..lol :blink:

• 2 months later...

just received my barrel, :goof: got the tacticool stock, barrel lug, brand new rifle for the receiver, and going to the 'smith today!!!!! wooohoooo!!!! I have started stocking up on brass...bullets, etc

now if it would just start to warm up, and wind stop blowing, it might all be time to start playing. :D

• 4 weeks later...
That Tubb in Zaks article is mine. I shot everything from 6XC to 308 to 6.5 Creedmore to 6CM in it. I finally settled on 6CM.

The 6.5 Creedmore is good and does well against the 260 but brass can be a bitch to find. 260 brass can be made from lots of calibers. Seating long VLD bullets at mag length is easier with the Creedmore. The 6.5x47 is an option as well, and a good one.

After shooting a match in the fall of 08 with Kelly McMillan, I now shoot a AI that I rebarreled to 6CM.

Right now I am planning on building a gas gun in 260 around a gen III POF AR-10 lower. I have all these SR-25 mags I need to do something with...

Tom,

do yo think you can run 6.5x47 in a gas gun as well? As realible as the 260?

Regars

SC