Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Cal. For New Open Gun?

RLSMITH

I'm getting ready to buy/build a new "STI" open gun and can not decide which cal. to go with. What is the trend leaning towards these days? I would very much like to hear from some of you open shooters out there and see which cal. you would go with if you were getting ready to buy/build. Keep in mind a few things.....I want a cal. that is not too finiky to load for and not too hard to get all the components to load. ( By the way, I'll be loading on a Dillon 650). I shoot limited now and want to get a new open gun to start playing with. I would really appreciate any and all advice and/or comments. Thanks to everyone!!!!!!

Well, I just bought 5000 9x19 for $32.5 (plus shipping). To me that's a big difference over what 5000 of even the best deal on super brass. But this is my first open gun, and I'm not an expert on how to make a open blaster purrrrrrrrr... like the pros do, and I know Jojo (pretty big dog) has switched over.

my .02c's

I'm shooting 9x23...I like it a lot and have had no troubles at all..for me it works and I am willing to put up with brass..

If I were to recommend anything to a new open guy..I would tell them to make it easy on themselves and do 38super or 38SC..

but I am still a devotee of the 9x23.. :D

I started shooting open again a few months ago, and decided to go with a major 9. Mostly because of the price of brass and the fact that I was already set up to reload for the 9. The only difference IMO in loading production ammo vs. major 9 ammo is a longer OAL, a different powder, and lots more of it. I haven't shot a super in a long time, but I'll date myself by saying I shot 38 supers in both single stack and wide body configurations many years ago. You won't go wrong with a super no doubt. At this point I can tell you I have no reservations at all about my decision to go with the 9. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I agree with Patrick in the respect that you're probably better served by going with what your gunsmith has experience with. I was fortunate to have J L Hardy right down the road and would suggest anyone attending the FGNs look JL up while you're there and test fire one of his major 9s. While loadings for the super are more varied, I wouldn't necessarily call the load and powder options for the major 9 limiting or restrictive.

You really can't go wrong with 38 Supercomp it takes out the guessing game I experience with my hi caps. For instance, if I'm using FMJ I load my 38 super to 1.250 - 1.255 just to reliably feed in through both of my open guns. If I go shorter most common problem will be the rim of the round on top jumping back over the bottom one and will cause a jam in the mag. If I go long the nose will rub on the front inner wall of the mag causing a nose dive jamming up operations. With supercomp brass all I have to do is make sure the overall length doesn't go over 1.255. You can also get an open gun reamed for 9x23 and it will feed 38 super and supercomp. There are lots of gunsmiths that cater to our sport here they should be able to set you up with a pistol and give you about 5 different loads that will function with the gun. josh

Well,

It looks like it's 38super! Thanks to everyone for all their input. The "super" will be more convenient to load as I am already set-up to load 38super comp for my shooting buddy. If any of you are still intrested in the subject, would you build a full length gun or one of the newer shorty models? I'm leaning towards the short gun. I really like the looks of the "Bedell custom" on Shooters connection, and the price seems fair. Any thoughts or suggestions on this new part of the puzzle? As usual ............. Thanks to everyone !!!!!!!!!

P.S. Just wanted to say, You guys/gals are the

best bunch of people I've every had the pleasure

of chating with!.............................. Thanks....

I was shooting a STI competitor - a full size gun. I got a Dawson minigun in April. I have a strong preference for the shorter gun. Lighter, better pointing, more style points - but considerably more expensive and a longer wait to get.

I have never had the gun fail to feed or jam in 10,000 rounds. Accurate and fast. Dawson did a great job.

I started with 38 super, am migrating over to 38 super comp - slightly higher mag capacity in a big stick, less mag issues are the reasons.

RLSMITH,

It's really shooters preference. The shorter guns while lighter, faster don't shoot as soft as a full profile 5in gun with bull barrel and comp. SO it really depends on how you handle recoil. They are loud too, so make sure you get a set of good ear protection, a lot of people wear both the inner ear protection and muffs. I just got my new gun built, it's a shorty, and shooting it side by side with my old full size super I like it, but it does hit you in the hand a little harder.