Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vehicle to use to go to matches in?

I bought an IPSC bus a while back, it's a 01 BMW 740IL with a ton of miles. Until I blew a heater hose going to Phenix City last month it's been an ideal vehicle. Room for 4 full(read that huge) adults, trunk room for at least 4 Shooters Connection big range bags, and get 25-26mpg. I've since replaced all the hoses and am building confidence in it again.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: I am looking at some diesel vehicles. The ones I am looking at are the VW Jetta, 2006 Mercedes E class and some trucks. My 1997 Ford F250 4x4 crew cab now has 276,000 miles and has been all across the country and Canada. It has been a great truck towing a race car trailer alot of those miles :cheers: I think the truck route may be better since some of the roads going into the different ranges is not always the best. I looked at the Jeep diesel but was told the fuel mileage was not that great but I guess I was told wrong. Another option would be to install a diesel engine in a Toyota pickup or maybe install a diesel in a Mercedes G wagon. Keep the info coming. Thanks, Eric

2002 Porsche Boxster that gets about 24 mpg if you hold it down to the posted speed limit. There is enough room in the two trunks for all the 3 gun gear for two people. Guns go in the back, ammo and other stuff into the front.

Most of the time, my shooting buddy and I drive one of our trucks with the other sharing gas. Usually works out pretty well.

Two or three years ago, I couldn't travel with the rest of our group so I drove my '96 Honda Civic to Area 6 near Atlanta from Mobile. I managed to get all my stuff in and was still able to close the doors. The lay-down seats in the back made plenty of room for my gear, icebox and handtruck I haul it all around with.

But I must admit, the trucks are a lot more comfortable :cheers:

fwiw

dj

"Old Faithful"

2000 Toyota 4-Runner

The thing runs like a top although the power antenna just went Tango Uniform <_< Usually, it's just me going to a match so I can pack it with as many donuts as I like :roflol:

For distance matches it's Susan and me in her 2002 Toyota Highlander. For local matches it's my 1997 Toyota 4-Runner. Both have over 135,000 miles and get 20+ mpg. The Highlander has a great ride. :cheers:

I've never been able to wear out a Toyota. I've always traded into a newer one before I had any problems with one. :cheers: I've been driving Toyotas since 1977.

Hello: I could use some of my Porsche herd but that would mean I would actually have to get them running :roflol: If I got my 1970 S running with it's 2.2l engine it should get great mileage if I install a taller 5th gear in it. I would still have to get it running :surprise: I really need to spend more time on my own projects. I am looking at a 2006 Dodge Diesel right now. Also another Toyota Camry. My 1998 has 176,000 miles on it and still runs great but has an oil leak. Keep the great info coming. Thanks, Eric

• 1 month later...

Well I cant believe that I am going to tell people this, 93 saturn 4 door. Hell the back seats fold flat and the trunk is good sized. I even take it for quick morning fishing trips. 250,000 miles :surprise: Used it for a work trip today, went to Graf's a powder supplier for my store. It got 40mpg ! And it only cost me 600 dollars. Its not the best looking car I own and to be honest I am almost embarrassed to pull up some where and get out when people can see me, but I guess it will not bother me so much over time. Btw I have a friend that has a 2003 or so diesel Jetta and its loaded with features, he has gotten over 50 a couple times.

I take my Prius - and catch a lot of hell in the parking lots at matches! :)

They are fantastic road trip cars for two people. Four people with some luggage is fine, but NOT four people with luggage, range bags, spares, tools, folding chairs, etc. Three people with all the junk would be doable.

Fuel economy is 40mpg (if you are in a serious hurry) or 50mpg (if you decide to go somewhere near the speed limit).