Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload question

Strick

I have not shot IPSC/USPSA but plan to this weekend so I was curious about reloading. I looked through the rulebook and did not see the answer, can you drop a mag with rounds in it or do you have to retain it. I am used to IDPA where you can only drop and leave a mag if the mag is empty and the so is the gun.

I have not shot IPSC/USPSA but plan to this weekend so I was curious about reloading. I looked through the rulebook and did not see the answer, can you drop a mag with rounds in it or do you have to retain it. I am used to IDPA where you can only drop and leave a mag if the mag is empty and the so is the gun.

You can drop mag with rounds anytime and you do not have to retain it like IDPA. :)

That is what I figured but thought I would ask. I am trying to decide which gun I want to use. I have a few choices that will fit in just about any class but I am trying to figure out rounds/mag and how mags I have for each.

That is what I figured but thought I would ask. I am trying to decide which gun I want to use. I have a few choices that will fit in just about any class but I am trying to figure out rounds/mag and how mags I have for each.

Pick the one you have the most mags for. SS, Lim10 and Production shooters commonly carry 5 on the belt and a start mag in the pocket.

Feel free to even drop a full mag while reloading. I do not recommend this method, especially during El Pres.

It wasn't the 'El Prez', but during a similar classifier last weekend I made a beautiful, smooth reload only to have the magazine fall out, even before I fired a shot. It may have been first date/first dance jitters since I hadn't shot anything but Production with a poof-butt 9 for the last 5 months. That G-Lock is so f-l-a-t, that's as close to AirSoft as I need to get. On the spur of the moment I even shot a match in SingleStack (.45) and did well with that, too.

:)

The biggest difference I can think of right now is the grip. I think the Ice magwell I used to like so much on my Limited gun now seems to be cramping/folding my strong hand. The absence of a magwell on both the Glock and the 1911 didn't seem to hinder my control at all (maybe because I have large hands?). I have a Brazos Big Mouth with a shallower outside angle that I'm going to try. If that doesn't work, I'll start grinding!

You can drop a partially full mag, drop a full mag. Hell, fill up a bag with loaded mags cut a hole in it and drag it behind you through the stage leaving a trail of fully loaded mags if you think it will help you get a better score.

Unless it's a "Speed Course" with no movement, which many classifiers are, everything is "Freestyle".

It "MUST" be stated in the walk thru that a Reload is going to be Required.

Otherwise it is up to the competitor to determine when, where or IF they wish to reload. The only stipulation is you must use mags/clips from your belt pouches before going to anything in your pockets.

Freestyle means you get the chance to make mistakes and/or look foolish all on your own. You can't blame it on the course procedure.

Oh and there's no FTDR penalty either.

Welcome.

Got it all figured out yesterday.....well I had a plan to start with atleast. :D

any where any time. some times even when you don't want to.

lynn

Yeah like when you just did a reload, fire the round in the chamber and feel the mag slipping out and the slide locks back. :D Atleast I followed the ole standby....TRB.

Edited by Strick