Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pocket holster

G-ManBart

As detailed in my what I hate rant about now owning a 9mm, I have a Kahr PM9 that my wife wanted for when she takes the dogs for a walk or goes on a hike. Her Smith 640 is too heavy for when she's not wearing a belt (reality is lots of women's clothes don't include a belt), but that's still going to be her primary carry gun. In a belly band the lighter weight and thin profile of the PM9 seems to work better for her.

So, it got me thinking...with the rise in home invasions I figured that the Kahr would be darned handy to keep in my pocket whenever I'm home. I carry two guns all day long and when I get home I take off the belt gun, pop the Surefire X300 on it (aweseome light BTW) and drop the ankle rig as well. With a safe full of guns I would feel really stupid trying to run to the bedroom for one of my duty guns or to my shop etc rather than just reaching into my pocket.

With that in mind, does anybody have experience with a nice pocket holster for mini-heaters like this? I've read a few reviews lately, but I'll have to go back and try to find which brands/models I read about. I like the idea of one of the synthetic materials that has the grippy nubs on it so that I can be sure only the gun comes out if needed. So, please fire away with any recommendations on what you've tried and liked. R,

Edit to add: Anybody try the Mika's Pocket Holster Sammy Reese mentions in the current American Handgunner?

Edited by G-ManBart

Hold on now! First you go on and on about how your wife wanted a 9mm, so now you own a 9. NOW you are telling us you WANT to carry the whee little Kahr. I think next you'll be looking for a .25 seacamp. ;)

Seriously, I carry my Kahr in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. It is awfully handy to be able to just drop a gun in your pocket. I don't have much experience with other pocket holsters so I can't really offer much in the way of comparison, but I do like the holster so far.

Hold on now! First you go on and on about how your wife wanted a 9mm, so now you own a 9. NOW you are telling us you WANT to carry the whee little Kahr. I think next you'll be looking for a .25 seacamp. ;)

Seriously, I carry my Kahr in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. It is awfully handy to be able to just drop a gun in your pocket. I don't have much experience with other pocket holsters so I can't really offer much in the way of comparison, but I do like the holster so far.

LOL....well it seems silly not to take advantage of it. I generally have one of my full size guns nearby, but there are times when I don't. When we're eating or watching TV I may not have a gun nearby. Seems too easy to not keep it handy just in case.

Cool....I'm pretty sure I read something on the Nemesis and it was positive. A quick look on their website and it might just be the ticket. I checked the Mika's site and they're showing an 8-12 week backlog so that's not a great option at this point.

I carry my Kahr PM9 in a Desantis Nemesis, and I bought it all by myself, I didn't use the excuse that "my wife wanted it" :)

LOL....well, that's two votes for the Nemesis.

Hey, I was told that with each mini-Kahr you buy you get a poster of the Kahr babe who my wife describes as looking like a Bond Girl :P

Edit to add: I should have mentioned that according to Uncle Sammy's rules I'm technically not supposed to ever carry the Kahr or anything else that isn't issued/approved when I'm in public so this is just going to be at home. I tried it with my G27 and it's just too thick to fit well in my pocket and that's the only compact gun I've had available until now.

Edited by G-ManBart

I carry my Kahr PM9 in a Desantis Nemesis, and I bought it all by myself, I didn't use the excuse that "my wife wanted it" :)

LOL....well, that's two votes for the Nemesis.

Hey, I was told that with each mini-Kahr you buy you get a poster of the Kahr babe who my wife describes as looking like a Bond Girl :P

Edit to add: I should have mentioned that according to Uncle Sammy's rules I'm technically not supposed to ever carry the Kahr or anything else that isn't issued/approved when I'm in public so this is just going to be at home. I tried it with my G27 and it's just too thick to fit well in my pocket and that's the only compact gun I've had available until now.

I have heard nothing but fantastic reviews for the Mika product and have one coming ( actually got the email today) for my smith 642. Already have a nemesis for it, but i purchased the Milka with the rounded bottom for a better pants pocket fit. If you wait a couple of days i could fill you in on how well i like it. I have heard that the nemesis wears out rather quickly and the Milka will last a lifetime.

PM me if you want.

I have a Nemesis for my Ruger LCP and love it. A little smaller than the Kahr but still should work for you.

FWIW

Richard

PS: Have your wife help you practice with your draw by calling out "Bad Guy" as you walk around doing normal everyday stuff. Even carring stuff so you can get used to dropping/switching hands etc.

Edited by chirpy

Anyone tried one of the "glue-on" clips on the PM9?

I bought from some forum poster, a IWB kydex holster for the Kahr and because it is so thin, it is really comfortable. But going even thinner with no holster is a curious idea.

Pocket, I think the Nemesis is the better choice. They are tacky enough that for a short walk, you can put it inside the waistband and it will ride there with good stability. The little PM9 is short, so it fits well for me in a crossdraw position and that fills the bill for a lot of quick trip purposes.

Bart,

I have both for my 642, the Nemesis and the Mika. The Nemesis is a better made product and it's less bulky, but it holds on to the gun a bit too snug. I use it when wearing pants that are tighter than my usual cargo shorts.

Because of how the Mika holds the little revolver I always end with it in my pocket. It's a loose pouch of some thick vinyl with a sticky material strip sewn around its exterior. No retention whatsoever, so when you want the gun you get the gun; not the gun, the holster and the pocket. A well spent $10 and very easily copied if you wanna venture into that.

$0.02 & YMMV

Having owned a PM9, the two least expensive carry solutions are in the pocked with a Nemesis and on the belt with a Hume JIT Slide. If you haven't tried a belt holster like the JIT with a small automatic like the PM9, you will be amazed that even an untucked t-shirt hides it completely.

As to IWB, I tried it several different ways with several different pistols and just don't like it. It's uncomfortable at best and horribly uncomfortable at worst.

This is some great feedback guys....thanks!

It does sound like both the Mika and Nemisis are viable options. I'm nowhere near a big guy, so my pockets don't tend to be huge and just putting the gun in the pocket of the cargo shorts I bum around in makes me think that neither holster would be loose. Luckily neither one is too expensive so if I don't like it I'm not out a bunch of cash. I hadn't thought about Kramer, but I own a small pile of their belt holsters and that's what I use daily...I'll take a look at their pocket holster too even though it's a fair amount more $.

As far as a belt holster, I'm not going to bother. Since it's purely for home use if I'm going to bother with a belt holster I'll have one of my duty guns on...might as well at that point.

Ever tried a draw with one of those pocket holster. the holster does not stay behind in your pocket when you draw. It comes out with the pistol. You have to use your weak hand to remove the holster from the gun.

I just slip the thing in my back pocket, no holster at all. Nothing unsafe about it. SO LONG AS THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE IN YOUR POCKET. Now if your have it in the same pocket as your keys or a pocket knife that is a different story. You need the holster to keep objects out of the trigger guard. but I see no reason a gun all alone in a pocket needs a holster.

Yankee dog

Ever tried a draw with one of those pocket holster. the holster does not stay behind in your pocket when you draw. It comes out with the pistol. You have to use your weak hand to remove the holster from the gun.

That's not true if the pocket holster is designed properly and made of the appropriate materials. There is a possibility, however remote, of something contacting the trigger through your pants if the gun is in there loose. Imagine a fall or slip at just the wrong angle and you potentially could AD a round into your leg...not so nice if it hits the femoral artery :surprise: The other thing is that just loose in your pocket there's no guarantee it'll be pointed the way you want it and all sorts of junk tends to accumulate in the barrel and around the ejection port. That's not keeping me from putting it in my pocket for now, but I'd like something a little better. R,

I carry the pm9 in a nemesis after having some problems with a leather pocket holster that would cant the gun foward and make it hard to draw from the pocket. I have over 2k rounds through this gun and it is a great small reliable pistol. Due to the fact that it is a 9mm I use Glazer ammo.

Because of how the Mika holds the little revolver I always end with it in my pocket. It's a loose pouch of some thick vinyl with a sticky material strip sewn around its exterior. No retention whatsoever, so when you want the gun you get the gun; not the gun, the holster and the pocket. A well spent $10 and very easily copied if you wanna venture into that.

$0.02 & YMMV

Nemo

Very happy with the Mika, if you pull the holster with the gun, you haven't practiced and should think twice about carrying. It works with a pair of jeans, as long as they aren't leftovers from the 80's and a bit on the snug side. ;)

Edited by cnote

Desantis Nemesis--- is a good pocket holset

I have a Galco Kydex paddle holster for my PM-9 that is really nice. It's called the Matirx.. and it weighs about 4 ozs. I use it even with pants (like sweat pants or a swimming suit) that have no belt.

My fav. belt holster for the PM is DeSantis speed scabard model 086.......feather light and it has a retention adjustment screw.

I just slip the thing in my back pocket, no holster at all. Nothing unsafe about it. SO LONG AS THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE IN YOUR POCKET. Now if your have it in the same pocket as your keys or a pocket knife that is a different story. You need the holster to keep objects out of the trigger guard. but I see no reason a gun all alone in a pocket needs a holster.

Yankee dog

That is a practice moment. The pocket holster I linked in the previous post doesn't come out with the gun, if you know how to draw with it.

That comes with practice. I am not a front pocket fan, as I keep too much stuff in them to then add a firearm.