Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First match

Mikej

I am planning to go to my first USPSA match Saturday the 14th. One of the local members, Gregg, has been VERY helpful and has given me a lot of tips and good info. I just thought I would put this thread in and jog folks memories of their first revolver match. What did you do right? What would you do different? Any helpful hints? My primary objectives this time are to be safe and have fun. Thanks.

Don't try to go fast. Your objective here is in the following order of importance:

- Be safe

- Be safe

- make sure you get ALL the targets - don't think too much about strategies

- Have Fun

Take your time and see every target. When the buzzer goes off your brain will try to seep into your ear protection. That's normal (still happens once in a while). Remember this is not an easy game to master, so have fun and be safe. Welcome!!

Be safe, shoot smooth, reload and do all the other stuff. ie; movement, transition, ..quickly and Have FUN. Look at the experience not the the standings. later rdd

Pay particular attention to where your muzzle is pointing while reloading. A real easy mistake to make. Try for decent sight alignment, you don't have extra rounds for the hi cap spray and pray technique.

It's never good to "Think" about technique while actually shooting.

That being said, focus on keeping your finger moving forward during your trigger stroke at the same speed as you pulled it.

Oh Yea and when you've finished your first COF, DON'T let anyone else see the huge grin on your face. We don't really want anyone else to know how much fun we're having!

WELCOME! :cheers:

Thanks for all the replies. I have one quick question about the reloading process. When you are removing the spent cartridges do you tilt the barrel up so the empty moonclip drops in your hand? It seems like that would cause the barrel to point over the berm. Is that a problem?

It seems like that would cause the barrel to point over the berm. Is that a problem?

No problem with barrel pointing over the berm. The problem comes when you AD over the berm. In your case, I would think it is impossible for you to AD at that point.

Don't worry or think too much about how or what other people are shooting. It's real easy for a new shooter to feel out classed and really out of place, surrounded by long time serious shooters going 100mph with star wars lookin' space guns. :D

Just do your thing. it's about you, not anyone else. Have fun and be safe.

That's a good video!

Don't worry about the timer at all, it isn't as important as being safe or shooting A's. You can't force speed, it will just come over time. I'm still waiting!

It's easy to break the 180 if you're moving towards your weak side, so pay extra close attention if you have to do that and avoid doing it at all.

It may be early to learn this, but if you slow down mentally, your physical speed will stay the same or go up. Example: I was teaching the girlfriend the other day how to draw safely before her first match. So I let her do some draws, then I watched as she got "quicker" and "quicker." (explanation for parentheses in a moment.) I also was establishing a base time with a timer.

After a break, I told her, "Ok, this time just casually move your hand to the gun, draw at leisure, and pull the trigger." Same time as her "trying as hard as I can" efforts. A little work and .8 of second went away very easily, plus she had a much better control of the gun.

Moral of the story: You are going to be stressed worrying about screwing up, looking like a newbie, being the worst out there, etc. Here's the secret: EVERYONE WANTS YOU TO BE THE WORST SHOOTER, BUT THE SAFEST SHOOTER ON YOUR FIRST MATCH. You are in no way, shape, or form going to be judged on your performance, but you will be judged into the ground on your safety. Relax and concentrate ONLY on safety, keeping the muzzle downrange, and appearing to have your head about you. Your time or points won't even be noticed, I promise. Also, help paste. ;)

H.

Edited by Houngan