Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much "bulge" is too much?

waktasz

I just started shooting my reloads and collecting my brass. I have noticed my new (to me) limited gun puts a scary buldge on all of the cases. At first I thought I was overpressuring my load and about to blow my gun up, but the same reloads don't bulge cases when shooting from my Para.

The buldge is very very noticeable on the cases after firing. No cases have cracked or split, and I'm able to resize these cases back and they look OK, but I'm worried that they are being stretched too much and have been weakened. How much is too much?

ps- the gun is a 6" Caspian with Nowlin barrel.

bi3435.jpg

2nr2078.jpg

2w4k3fk.jpg

Edited by waktasz

OAL? How far off the lands is your OAL?

Doh, you were faster! I was thinking the same thing.

Still, unless the OAL is pretty short I doubt this is a really high pressure load. I get a decent amount of belly in my .40 cases, but haven't had a single one splt there after repeated use...until I can barely see a headstamp for some of them.

That looks pretty scarry to me! If it were me I would use that barrel for factory loads only, or sell it to someone who wants to shoot factory stuff. I would buy a kkm barrel or some other after market barrel if you want to shoot reloads, through a glock. I have seen glock bulges but that is pretty nasty and thats pretty bad especialy in the area of the case that you don't want to give. Also look if you are getting bullet setback, and also increase you oal to 1.135

good luck

Those aren't from a Glock! They are from my 6" Caspian with Nowlin barrel. The gun is going to EGW next month for some trigger work so I guess I should have them do something with the barrel too. blah

OAL? How far off the lands is your OAL?

Doh, you were faster! I was thinking the same thing.

Still, unless the OAL is pretty short I doubt this is a really high pressure load. I get a decent amount of belly in my .40 cases, but haven't had a single one splt there after repeated use...until I can barely see a headstamp for some of them.

+1...run them through the U-die on stage one of my 550 and as long as they pass the chamber test, I let 'em rip.

It's a Canyon Creek gun, but not sure if this is the original barrel in the build or not. I assume it is.

I had been using my Para barrel as a chamber checker, when I take the Caspian apart tonight I'll have to see how a loaded round looks in there. Maybe someone went nuts cutting the barrel ramp and left the chamber too unsupported. The gun runs like butter though, I'd hate to have to change it but looks like that may be in the cards.

There is something seriously wrong with that barrel, and you should not shoot it.

If you had that gun built, ask the gunsmith to replace the barrel, and do it without hogging out the chamber.

If you got it used, hope you got it cheap. It needs a new barrel.

UM BARREL NEEDS TO BE TOSS OUT AND A NEW ONE IS NEADED IT YOU LIKE YOUR BLASTER. AND FOR THE BRASS RUN IT THRUE A EGW DIE AND YOU CAN KEEP YOUSING YOUR BRASS. I RUN A REMED OUT CHAMBER IN MY WITNESS MATCH. THE ONLY BRASS PROBLEMS I HAVE HAD IS WITH NEW MAJOR POWER LOADS THAT I WAS TRYING AND SETING THE O.A.L TO DEEP AND THE CASE BLOW UP ON ME .BUT THAT WAS MY FALT. LIKE I SEAD BEFOR IF YOU LIKE YOUR BLASTER CHANG OUT YOUR BARREL. :surprise:

the bulged cases are usually closer to the extractor groove, but in your pics its about 1/3 up from the extractor grove. I don't like it! who put your barrel in? maybe you need a new barrel

+1. I've not seen anything quite like it. A normally "guppied" case is bulged much closer to the extractor groove and your's looks more like maybe the chamber itself is out of spec. I'd replace it if nothing else, for the peace of mind.

I have an aquaintance that was going to polish the ramp on a .45 He got carried away and the results were brass bulged almost exactly like your pictures show. Barrel replacement fixed the problem.

fwiw

dj

Edited by dajarrel