Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Open Championship 2009

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still accepting entry. only in short period of time.

Did i read some where that you are having a random drawing?? this going to be held on saturday?? just curious. i will be there... im on the san antonio squad...

Got the self-squadding e-mail this evening. Normally shoot with the Austin folks, but since that squad was full I signed up with the San Antonio guys (didn't see a squad for the Fort Hood / Killeen / Belton area - LOL!) I did notice several folks are listed twice - both on a SAT squad and as an RO shooting on friday - any ideas on what's up with that?

Stages look great and I'm anxiously awaiting my first TX Open. Gonna try to get down there FRI to walk the stages - any suggestions for a good local restaurant? Any interest in having an BEnos dinner / get-together either Friday or Saturday (like Double Tap)? I'm staying in the match hotel and an totally unfamiliar with that area so any tips are welcome.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

Got the self-squadding e-mail this evening. Normally shoot with the Austin folks, but since that squad was full I signed up with the San Antonio guys (didn't see a squad for the Fort Hood / Killeen / Belton area - LOL!) I did notice several folks are listed twice - both on a SAT squad and as an RO shooting on friday - any ideas on what's up with that?

Stages look great and I'm anxiously awaiting my first TX Open. Gonna try to get down there FRI to walk the stages - any suggestions for a good local restaurant? Any interest in having an BEnos dinner / get-together either Friday or Saturday (like Double Tap)? I'm staying in the match hotel and an totally unfamiliar with that area so any tips are welcome.

There's REPKA restaurant less than 2 miles from the range, We have food for RO/Staff's, Socialization in the match hotel every night BYOB and food. Next year we are planning to have "Fort hood" squad and it's going to be 12 stages possibly LEVEL III.

Edited by 4everB

There's REPKA restaurant less than 2 miles from the range, We have food for RO/Staff's, Socialization in the match hotel every night BYOB and food. Next year we are planning to have "Fort hood" squad and it's going to be 12 stages possibly LEVEL III.

Thanks for the info - looking forward to seeing that part of TX. I'm grooving on your Fort Hood squad idea - if I'm not deployed again. :cheers:

Thanks also for the assist earlier today.

I was not going to shoot this match. I made the mistake of looking at the stages. Once I saw the stages I had to shoot the match.

These are awsome stages look like lots of fun so come on out and shoot.

If you are faster than I am please disregard this invitation.

Just kidding, I'm not that fast.

See you at the Match.

I'll be your RO on one of the Stages.

I was not going to shoot this match. I made the mistake of looking at the stages. Once I saw the stages I had to shoot the match.

See you at the Match.

Awesome Ron, I like that hehehe. Yes, Ron is right challenging stages i hope everyone will have fun shooting this stages. Phil Oxley just finished moving VAN and two CARS today. Ron also waive the late penalty until 25th.

See you at the Match.

It will be the stage with all the beer cans!! :goof: :goof: :ph34r:

Our fearless leader and Section Coordinator sent out an e-mail last night indicating its not too late to sign up for the match. Also the late fee has been waved.

For the survivors of Space City 2009, it looks like we will actually have nice weather. Even though hurricane season has officially started, no storms are active in the Gulf of Mexico.

See you there.

Bill

Can anyone tell us how late the range will be open tomorrow to get a look at the stages? I was hoping to head over early but it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to do that....

Thanks!

GREAT Match!!! lots of fun 10 stages one day from 8 to 530 for us. now back the the room have a few brews and then heading to salt grass for some good grub.. as for the match i did pretty good till i got boat stages skipped one array with 6 targets.. yep 120pnts down.... totally killed my match but rest of it went great. O well still had a great time... will come back again for TX open!

They tried to push all shooters thru today. We finished all 10 stages by 1730. Some still had a couple to shoot, I don't know if they finished. The no shoots made the stages a little more difficult than they really were. :surprise:

I didn't here anything about the results. All palm pilot scoring, no paper. Getting the finals out shouldn't take long. Scoring with those things take a little to get used to.

I went thru several stages on Friday running a squad. I showed up to look at the stages and ending up helping them out. They drove back to San Antonio after shooting. Maybe they got home by midnight.

Mike

Like Mike said it was a long HOT day with every stage a large round count event. Awesome stages - Workers driving around asking you if you needed drinks - some of the best food I have had a match!! This match was awesome to shoot and the RO's must have been the hardest working and professionally mannered RO's I have see in a long time!!! Thank you guys for working so hard to put on a great event!!!!

:cheers: :cheers:

THIS IS A MUST SHOOT NEXT YEAR!!!

Everyone finished today. We had scores DONE by 6:15 thanks to the ease of the Palm Score system. Same system we will be using October 8-11 for the Areas 4 Championship at DTR!

I'll leave it to Alex to make official result announcements. We gave a USB stick to Alex, so he may post in a bit. Prizes and awards at 9:00 AM tomorrow.

Edited by stockton

Its over! RO's and one squad shot Friday, other 10 squads shot all day Saturday and out by 5:30 or so, scoring done by just after 6. Back to range on Sunday morning for the 9am short meeting, quick tear down, and awards and prize table and out of the range by 11:30am.

Not too shabby. :cheers:

Now, on a personal note as an RO/staff for this match: All you shooters who attended and were here for the Sunday festivities, I know you paid your $ and took time to come and shoot this match and not to actually have to participate in the tear down of the stages, but I guarantee you that the effort you put into it for all of us involved was GREATLY APPRECIATED AND NOT TAKEN FOR GRANTED. You did not have to, but we all thank you fro the bottom of our sore feet to the top of out sunburned heads,

THANK YOU FOR HELPING US OUT WITH THE TEAR DOWN.

+1, a HUGE thank you to the match staff. Lots of work under trying conditions, and I heard zero bitching from shooters about bad or questionable calls.

That says a lot.

But... I'm not entirely sold on the palm scoring system. I'd like to see a few comments on what others thought. Maybe it is just because its new and everyone is learning, but it seems like there was a lot of waiting for the palms to do one thing or another.

Scores have been posted.

2009 Texas Open Match Results

Congrats to all the winners. Big thanks to the ROs, Staff, Sponsors, and of course, all the shooters that brave through the Houston heat!

'Awesome RO award' goes to Ken H. for single-handled running a stage that's 'gator-infested to boot. Don't mess with Ken H...

And he placed 1st A in Limited division. Cooool Ken!

It was a fun match, I wish my mags would have not been so incosisitent, and thanks to james gill, for loaning me his 170mm mag. Also to rudy team and squad members for thier contribution. Rudy had 4 members in the top 10 in open. Larue, 5-11, Dawson and all the other contributing members.

I was one of the palm scorers for the match, and I think its a pretty good system, and I think it will be common place in the near future. Is thier things to iron out, yes. But it made scoring much more easier at the end. I actually watched the process once the scoring was complete for that stage. they would put that palm next to the main palm and it would read the scores (15sec). Then he would put the main palm and place it on the loading dock and it would enter the scores onto the main computer (30 sec) so it was roughly a minute process. 10 stages, roughly 10 minutes, give or take a couple here and there to sip your cold one.

Thanks to Alex and Ray for keeping us hydrated in the texas heat, and all the folks who made this match a success!

Sean Gaines

Edited by PAPER KILLER