Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turtle targets

zhunter

Every little bit of PC that works its way in...pushes tradition aside <_<

And I very much despise anything PC!

Jim

It must be something about gentlemen named Jim --- Jim Norman would agree with you.... :roflol: :roflol:

Hmm while we're listing Normans I'm sure John Norman would also agree :D

Now that's funny right there! tell me, did you have time to build the rifle as well???

Seriously, the POS Classic is NOT any better in the rain, there is a significant portion of the target that stands above the side anchor points. With the Metric you have two choices, one is to cut off the upper A/B AKA the Head, or you can simply invert the target. As for flip up targets, the Metric target is demonstrably better. The full height of the main body of the target is supported, on the Classic only about a third of the target height is secured to the target sticks.

I still wonder why the powers that be didn't just cut off the upper A/B zone and be done with it for international competition. If the size of the A zone is the big whupp, we could have altered that, we really didn't need a whole new shape.

Jim

+ 0.89

It is easier to bag and no droopy head, but I haven't found it holds up any better.

Now that's funny right there! tell me, did you have time to build the rifle as well???

Seriously, the POS Classic is NOT any better in the rain, there is a significant portion of the target that stands above the side anchor points. With the Metric you have two choices, one is to cut off the upper A/B AKA the Head, or you can simply invert the target. As for flip up targets, the Metric target is demonstrably better. The full height of the main body of the target is supported, on the Classic only about a third of the target height is secured to the target sticks.

I still wonder why the powers that be didn't just cut off the upper A/B zone and be done with it for international competition. If the size of the A zone is the big whupp, we could have altered that, we really didn't need a whole new shape.

Jim

+ 0.89

It is easier to bag and no droopy head, but I haven't found it holds up any better.

Flex, IF you cut off the sticks so that they don't stand above the sides of the target and 'look like someone attempting to surrender' then you have about 9-12 inches or so of unsupported target. It droops! If you leave the sticks long, then I would agree to a point as the bag would be held by the sticks.

and just in case anyone is wondering, I actually did hear that analogy in reference to ths sticks.

Jim

Flex, IF you cut off the sticks so that they don't stand above the sides of the target and 'look like someone attempting to surrender' then you have about 9-12 inches or so of unsupported target. It droops!

I think I was agreeing with you Jim. :)

They actually curl from top and bottom, in my experience.

But, hanging bags on targets with heads sucks a bit more.

A couple of years ago I polled all the shooters at a monthly match about their target preference:

1. Metric only

2. Classic only

3. A mix (obviously not on the same COF)

Option #3 was chosen by the large majority - maybe about 80%. The general consensus was that a target is a target, and it was nice to change things up occasionally.

The remaining votes were pretty evenly split between options #1 & #2! :surprise:

So - we use both. Over the course of the year, we're about half and half .... but strictly turtles when its going to rain. (hate droopy heads!)

I like the metric target. The head...I mean upper A/B zone tends to catch my errant shots. I have scored a lot of points shooting an "A the hard way". Take that head off and I would get what I deserve.

+1

Still not enough help! <_<

I just orderred a box because I never see them in the local matches. I figure I should practice at least a little on them before I run into them at a major match.

I could really care less about which target I shoot at though. I understand the reason for a change in areas and if that is what it takes to make this sport grow and become more appealing and acceptable to the general public, then I am all for it.

slight thread drift on....

FWIW, supposedly the Tactical Shooting Association's official target does NOT droop in the rain because of the radiused outside edge where the head meets the body:

getting back more on topic...

If you are using lath strips to staple the targets to anyway, a foot long piece stapled diagonally across the back of the target body and then up into the head usually keeps them from flopping over.

I shot at the turtles for the first time last weekend. You do have to aim higher as I got lots of C's instead of A's It was also my first stage and my hands were freezing but thats shooting right? I liked shooting at both, variety is good. During that match one stage had one metric target upside down. Not thinking about it, I shot the same place I normally would have and got two C's right next to each other. Something else to remember for the future.

Turtles are different, however Metric or Turtle can be equally challenging. Just do your hardcover across a Metric from upper to lower corner and watch the number of shots people put into the black as opposed to the A. It is all about aiming.

That said, I don't like the Turtle. I don't find it more forgiving of bad weather, in fact I find the opposite. A Metric is much easier to bag than a Turtle, UNLESS you leave the sticks up above the top of the target and we all know that the rule book says you shouldn't do that.

I can shoot at any target we put out there. I happen to like the fact that the Metric has a link to the roots of our sport. Heck, I'd love a match where all the targets were "Tactical Teds" with inserts. A pain to score, but a real test of where you "REALLY" need to aim.

Jim