Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Reloading Manual

bruin

I am loading for several guns. The one I have the most trouble finding loading data for is the 40 cal. I am looking for loading data for 145 grain cast bullets to be shot from a race gun. I have Power Pistol for the powder. Any suggestions for a manual or any other information would be greatly appreciated. :roflol:

bruin, you might want to look up a Sierra Loading Manual. From what I remember they had a lot of cast info. Also Alliant Powder (Power Pistol iis an Alliant powder I think) has a website for loading but not much info on cast

I am loading for several guns. The one I have the most trouble finding loading data for is the 40 cal. I am looking for loading data for 145 grain cast bullets to be shot from a race gun. I have Power Pistol for the powder. Any suggestions for a manual or any other information would be greatly appreciated. :roflol:

If you already have standard loading manuals and don't need the additional reference material in a normal manual, the Loadbooks USA One Book/One Caliber manual is handy. They actually combine 10mm, 40S&W together and have pretty much all the current data from all the bullet companies and powder companies.

I didn't find anything specifically for a 145gr cast bullet, but there is some data that would be safe and get you in the right ballpark.

Alliant lists data for a 150gr JHP and PP with a max of 8.2gr for a velocity of 1215 out of a 4" barrel. Since lead will be lower in pressure you should be safe using that as a max.

Speer lists data for a 155gr TMJ and PP with a max of 9.0gr for a velocity of 1213 out of a 4" barrel using a 1.135" oal. The TMJ might use less case capacity compared with the JHP above which would allow for the extra powder and resulting same velocity.

Nosler lists data for a 150gr JHP and PP with a max of 8.0gr for a velocity of 1170 out of a 4" barrel (Smith 4006) and an oal of 1.135".

Hornady lists data for a 155gr JHP (XTP) and PP with a max of 8.6gr for a velocity of 1200 out of a 4" barrel (Smith 4006) and an oal of 1.135".

So, it looks like you'd be plenty safe with that bullet a max of somewhere in the low 8 range. Hope that helps. R,

Most reloading manuals are company driven. That means Speer is about Speer products, Sierra about their products, etc. That doesn't mean they're not good as the do contain vital information on the reloading process. It just means the loads you find in them will be geared towards their products. For example, the latest Speer manual only lists two bullet weights for the .357 Sig, 125gr and 147gr. It ignores everything else including all cast bullets for that caliber.

Two manuals that are not company product driven are the Lyman manuals and Pet Loads.

Try the Laser-Cast Reloading Manual. This is a load manual edited (and largely written) by USPSA Grand Master Bruce Gray, specifically for cast bullets. As you would expect from Bruce's shooting credentials, info on loads for USPSA shooting - and, actually, an entire separate chapter on the topic - feature well in the book.

I keep versions of Speer, Lee, Lyman And Sierra loading manuals. And as mentioned http://www.loaddata.com/ it's a compilation from dozens of bullet and powder manufactures. I refer to it often and enjoy it. It is a pay site, but in my estimation a pretty good value.

One of the most valuable load data/info sources anywhere is HERE. Just learn some "tactical" search techniques to uncover vast amounts of good info.

Jim

You will get 50 replies and they will mostly say something different.

For rifle I prefer the Sierra manual.

For pistol there are a number of good manuals. I gravitate towards the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Manual - it has a load for 40S&W with the 150gr cast bullet.

But IF I had to have 1 bokk and 1 book only, then my vote would go to the Lyman 49th edition of the Reloaders Handbook.

I use both the Sierra and Lasercast mostly.

I've got the Hornday& Nosler as well but rarely open them.

These are all bullet specific. They will show dozens of powders for a specific bullet or series of bullets they make.

The only powder company one I use is Hodgdon because of the shot shell recipes.

Forgot to add a link to the Jeff Maas site with quite a bit of data:

http://www.k8nd.com/ipscload.htm

As good as Jeff's site is, it is quite dated now. A lot more newer and some better powders than before.

No doubt, but it does have a fair amount of data for stuff that doesn't get published...like long .40 and stuff for Open guns. Both my .40 and .38SC loads are within a tenth or two of data on those pages, which is surprising that they're several years old.

I would slightly disagree on "better" powders now compared with then. Pretty much all of the most popular powders for either seem to be listed with very few exceptions. A few alternatives like E3 and Longshot aren't there, but that's about it.

Edited by G-ManBart

I learned by reading the Lyman manuals. As someone stated previously they are not company driven. They mention Dillon by name.

I can recommend the Lyman manual for those who don't know the first thing when it comes to loading. Not only is load data included, but the manual walks you through the entire loading process and provides tips and tricks.

IMHO the Lyman manual is an absolute necessity.