Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Mag Well

oddjob

What Dave said.

On my Springfield TRP there was a nice ledge between the magwell and mainspring housing. It was excellent if you wanted to have your mags hang up, but sucked if you thought a magwell gave you wiggle room on sloppy reloads.

The SV might be another option for you, although I don't like the fact that there's very little blending you can do at the rear.

If you want to see what an AWESOME gunsmith can do to an S&A magwell, take a look at page 64 of the September/October 2003 issue of American Handgunner. Ross Carter did the build on the gun. :)

I have S&A mag wells on all 4 of my single stackes. I had the one on my match gun opened up a bit wider and blended to the frame. Works really good for me. I saw a mag well for SS at factory gun nationals last year build by Infinity (SV) I looked pretty good but $$.

K Tyler.......Long live Single Stackers

Almost any of the after market wells will do the job, it just depends on what you like the looks of and how well the 'smith puts it on and blends it to the frame.

If you are really lucky, you could find a 'smith that would swage your mag well open, modify your grips to fit and you'd be good to go. Always beautiful, huge, and won't move or come loose.

Thanks for the responses........I know practice is the key to what we shooters do, but I need all the help I can get.....I saw the SV single stack mag well.............they want $145.00 for it. If I bought that I'd still have beer money, but my wife & kids won't be able to eat.........Anyway if anyone here knows about the EGW mag well.....speak up...........

many thanks.........

• 2 weeks later...

There is another alternative--Pinnacle ss mag well. http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/current_speci...ials/index.html

I've got one on a 1911 and it's BIG--much bigger than the S&A. It's also $50. I just couldn't see forking out $140 for a SVI mag well.

You can use any ms housing which is then drilled and tapped. Once the screw is set with loctite it won't move. If you send your ms housing to Pinnacle they'll even drill and tap it for $10 IIRC. I've used this magwell in lots of matches and have never had a problem with it. In short, its a great product and about the biggest mag well you'll find for a 1911.

• 2 weeks later...

Settled on the EGW magwell for a single stack (the huge one). Shot my first match today with it and it was very, very nice. I had to file on it to make it fit, but it is on very solid. Not sorry at all. I found a S&A in my parts bin, but this EGW magwell is sweet.