Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stage vs. Progressive

rel

I have gotten a lot of information on reloading lately from fellow club members and I am not sure which way to go. I have done some single stage rifle reloading and Dillon 650 pistol reloading with friends. I am now shooting 400-500 rounds a week of 9mm and .45 acp. I have been told to start with single stage and work into the progressive. The single stage then being used to "work up" loads. Is it that hard to use the 650 to change loads in the same caliber?

My other concern has been can I load enough to keep up with my shooting with a single stage and still have time to do life's other required activities?

Thanks!

If you are loading 4 to 5 hundred rounds a week on a single stage press, you'll have time for nothing else. A progressive reloader is the only way to go. I guarantee that you will not shoot as much when you have to load on a single stage press. You will find reasons not to go and shoot because you don't have enough ammo loaded up.

Sometimes I walk by my presses (550/650) and decide I want to load some ammo, then I knock out a 100 or so rounds in 10 to 15 minutes. You can't do that with a single stage press.

Long , long time ago I used a single stage Lyman turret press. That was state of the art back then. I picked it up at my Dads one day and decided to start using it again. Wow what a mistake. When i got to thinking about all the steps and how much faster a progressive is i backed away from that. Now I have a 1050 with a bullet feeder and its so fast. Wouldnt ever do a single stage again. Would buy factory ammo before I did it.

I loaded for 10 years on progressive before I got a single stage. As far as working up loads once I try out a few and decide I will load for years with out changing. a 650 can still be used like a single stage by just putting in one piece of brass and setting one primer in the cup.

The 650 is quick a good buy , I have one rite next to a 1050 that only loads 38 super. I can change the 650 from 38 special to 40 cal buy just changing the top and the shell drop. 3 min max.

I am now shooting 400-500 rounds a week

That's lots of bang bang! Might take me 2-1/2 hours to load on my "progressive-single stage" :)

The Lee Classic Turret is a strong intermediate press you should consider as well.

Jim

If you are loading small quantities (400-500 per week is not what I would call small), a single stage press is great. A somewhat better alternative is a turret press. But if you are going to be doing more than small quantities, you will quickly want to get a progressive.

Starting with a single stage MIGHT be a good idea for a beginning reloader (each step in the reloading process is deliberate and thought out), or for a shooter with low volume needs, but, as an experienced reloader needed a couple K/ month, your needs are different.

I started with a progressive (SDB). The auto indexing feature helped me avoid major reloading errors (I think the only ones I've had are dumping bulletless primed and charged cases into the loaded round bin).

Welcome to the forums.

Kevin

I started with a single stage system and bought a Dillon 550 after just two weeks of painfully and slowly preparing 200 rounds of 9mm ammo during the week and burning it all up in an hour on Saturday.

Don't bother with SS, go progressive to start.

Time! Time! Time! Would you rather spend your time reloading or shooting! Keep the single stage for precision stuff( long range rifle etc) Get the progressive. Like Buddy said you can leave your progressive set up, and when you have an extra 10 minutes load 100 rounds. Soon you will be filling ammo cans with surplus ammo, and will not have the pressure of getting your loading done before you can shoot.

Keep the single stage for precision stuff( long range rifle etc)

Years ago I read an absolutely excellent article by the late Bob Milek on reloading .223 via a single-stage press versus a progressive. The thesis of the article was that for years Bob "knew" the progressive couldn't load ammo as accurate as his single-stage. Finally, just in the interests of experimentation - and, I'm sure, to get an article out of it - he decided to compare ammo loaded on his single-stage press versus ammo loaded on a Dillon progressive. Now, in both cases he did debur case mouths and trim to length before putting casings into the machines. What he found, when he got to the range, was that there was absolutely no difference in performance, accuracy-wise, between the stuff loaded on the progressive and the single-stage. The only difference, of course, was that the ammo loaded on the progresive had taken one HELL of a lot less time to assemble. :lol:

Keep the single stage for precision stuff( long range rifle etc)

Years ago I read an absolutely excellent article by the late Bob Milek on reloading .223 via a single-stage press versus a progressive. The thesis of the article was that for years Bob "knew" the progressive couldn't load ammo as accurate as his single-stage. Finally, just in the interests of experimentation - and, I'm sure, to get an article out of it - he decided to compare ammo loaded on his single-stage press versus ammo loaded on a Dillon progressive. Now, in both cases he did debur case mouths and trim to length before putting casings into the machines. What he found, when he got to the range, was that there was absolutely no difference in performance, accuracy-wise, between the stuff loaded on the progressive and the single-stage. The only difference, of course, was that the ammo loaded on the progresive had taken one HELL of a lot less time to assemble. :lol:

I found the same thing, but I still size my rifle ammo on a single stage, trim in my Gracey and then return to the progressive. I run the sizer backed out so the ball just passes the mouth to make sure no dents are there from the tumble I give them after sizing and trimming. I also let the de-capper go through the flash hole to remove any tumbling media that might be blocking the flash hole.