Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not know there was such a problem with mags in NY.

AFAIK there isn't, nor has there been, but the guys who ran A7 in upstate NY might be able to elaborate more as the 05,06 and 07 A7 matches were held at the same club in UPSTATE NY all 3 years

(disclaimer: don't confuse upstate NY with the citiodots led by BLOOMY)

Having shot the Miller (and later S&W) invitationals from 1989 till the end, I can't wait to get back to Fulton & see Rosa again!

This club put on the big show in the East back in the day.................usually a few weeks prior to the Nationals. :bow:

The TGO, Burner, Team S&W all were in attendance.

I'm sure that those who were there (& still able), will be back.. :wub:

I hope the Club house still sells BEER! (AFTER shooting, of course!)

Edited by 9x21

C'mon out for Limited 6 (round!) We have more range time than the hi-cap crowd anyway :ph34r: Get more than your 15 minutes of fame!

...and Hop, I'll even put ya up for the night in Foxboro if you want to come earlier, pick you up in RI the night before- got an extra bedroom, and Gary can pick us all up! It'll be like executive car service- just grumpier.

I mean, NICER and MORE personal.

I need to know what the deal is with this "Rosa" thing/ person/ object/ imaginary friend is though. I wasn't shooting back in the Miller days.

Hopefully the 10 round mag limit will bring in more Production shooters. It would be fun to shoot a match with a big Production field.

It's just a "restatement" of the 1994 Federal ban - creating a situtation just as if the federal ban never expired (ie, pre Sept 94 mags are OK). This is the same situation as in MA. Nothing has changed in NY in recent years (ie, this is not new info).

It's not like CA where you can only have mags you personally posessed in CA before the Caliban, or HI where there is no grandfathering.

The TGO, Burner, Team S&W all were in attendance.

Not to mention BE (the man, not the forum)

We also have group rate of $89.99 at the Quality Inn Fairgrounds in Syracuse NY. This is right off exit 39 of the NY Thruway if you want to be near the megalopolis, but about a 20-30 minute ride form the range. The Riverside Inn is the closes to the range (about 4 or 5 minutes), and only $79 a night .... but, they only have 70 rooms in the hotel so you need to act fast.

In the "old days" a decade or so ago, the hotel set a 2 night minimum when the match was in town. I spoke to their bookings manager, and he was most accommodating - no minimum stay, and an incredibly good rate.

We do not have any rooms blocked out at either hotel, however, I expect the Riverside will be full for at least Friday and Saturday evening.

"Rosa" was a nefarious character invented by one of the founders of the old Miller Invitational, Bob Arinsen. This was back in the days when most IPSC stages had written scenarios which were read as part of the stage briefing. Each year Rosa presented us with a chilling "do or die" predicament. There were shootouts in her cantina, on her drug running yacht--you get the idea. Many of us feel that Bob came up with some of the best courses of fire in the history of IPSC. Bob is no longer with us. He passed on about 12 years ago. But his spirit is still here--in fact--his ashes are scattered all over the ranges at Pathfinder. We will honor Bob's memory aa well as the memoies of several other dedicated shooters in a small way at the match. And......I can assure you that "Rosa" will be there.

C'mon out for Limited 6 (round!) We have more range time than the hi-cap crowd anyway :ph34r: Get more than your 15 minutes of fame!

...and Hop, I'll even put ya up for the night in Foxboro if you want to come earlier, pick you up in RI the night before- got an extra bedroom, and Gary can pick us all up! It'll be like executive car service- just grumpier.

I mean, NICER and MORE personal.

I need to know what the deal is with this "Rosa" thing/ person/ object/ imaginary friend is though. I wasn't shooting back in the Miller days.

We also have group rate of $89.99 at the Quality Inn Fairgrounds in Syracuse NY. This is right off exit 39 of the NY Thruway if you want to be near the megalopolis, but about a 20-30 minute ride form the range. The Riverside Inn is the closes to the range (about 4 or 5 minutes), and only $79 a night .... but, they only have 70 rooms in the hotel so you need to act fast.

In the "old days" a decade or so ago, the hotel set a 2 night minimum when the match was in town. I spoke to their bookings manager, and he was most accommodating - no minimum stay, and an incredibly good rate.

We do not have any rooms blocked out at either hotel, however, I expect the Riverside will be full for at least Friday and Saturday evening.

Thanks Rob. Made reservation at Riverside.

Mike

Edited by mikegot38

I am new to self squadding. I noticed that each competitor only has their name listed once on a squad list with a date. Are we all shooting the whole match on that day?

The match is a half day format. If you have registered and been squaded then should have received an email with your password. You can then move youself onto another squad as long as there are openings. There are squads on Thursday am and pm, Friday am and pm, Saturday am or pm and Sunday am.

Rob:

If I am wrong please feel free to correct me. We are looking forward to the match.

Mike

If you have registered and been squadded then should have received an email with your password.

True, but email is an imperfect medium especially with the handwriting of some of our members.

We're also sending out a US-Snail confirmation letter (you should keep with the gun when traveling in NY) that contains the PIN as well. The letters have already been sent for all registrations shown on the site. Confirmation letters for new registrations will be mailed no later than 7 days after the form arrives at the PO box (usually much sooner).

Also, although not advertised, the PIN from Front Sight should also work assuming we have the correct member number for you on file.

Now if people would only stop stapling their checks to the application form !!!!!

Are we all shooting the whole match on that day?

This is one of the things done differently in various parts of the country. I've been in USPSA forever (well, since about 1987) and have never seen an Area 7 Championship where competitors entered over multiple days. The plan is small squads, and 1/2 day of shooting (8AM-1PM or 1PM-6PM). We cut down the waiting time, not the amount of shooting in the match.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've read through this thread a couple times trying to figure out the general "rule" on mags. If I come I'm shooting Open. It just so happens that I do have some pre-ban mags but you really have to know what you're looking at to know (trust me, that's how I ended up with one of them). Anyway, can you or can you not take standard 140 / 170mm mags to NY for this match?

OK, I've read through this thread a couple times trying to figure out the general "rule" on mags. If I come I'm shooting Open. It just so happens that I do have some pre-ban mags but you really have to know what you're looking at to know (trust me, that's how I ended up with one of them). Anyway, can you or can you not take standard 140 / 170mm mags to NY for this match?

If you are asking the question of whether you can legally bring the magazines into NY State you are asking for a legal opinion. You will not get legal advise on this open forum.

If you are asking, will you see these magazinse at the match in NY State, you will see them.