Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where has all the brass gone

gunner40sw

All I know is... it's 1" deep on the floor of my local range... I just go over in the evening and take home 200% of what I shoot. I have about 1000 9mm cases, and 500-600 of 45 and 40, and I don't even reload those.... yet.

JW

I just started on my last 55 gal drum of 9mm brass. I may have to turn the "Brass Magnet" loose again. There is just something about shiny objects they can't resist.

Edited by Joe D

There are a number of people that have never wanted a lot of brass or ammo that are now stockpiling it. Just like the run on black rifles some people are concerned about future availability and want to get it whilw they can. Combine this additional demand with the normal flucuations in supply and you have a shortage.

I was at the Buda, TX Cabellas last week, one guy with a shopping cart bought almost every box on 9mmm they had on the shelves. Left the 147gr and S&B.

The black rifles frenzy appears to be over and they seem to be easily available again at resonable prices, the same thing should happen with brass, primers etc. There is also goofy legislation proposed in some states that, if passed, could fuel the frenzy on ammo and components.

Funny thing, this brass hunting. My local range has brass laying on the floor too, which they will gladly sell me for $8 a 100, after I pick it up. The Cincinnati police firing range "recycles" all of their brass in order to help pay for ammo. Went to the scrap yard they use to see if I could buy it and was told they only bring a 5gallon bucket of brass every once in a while. I think some cops are not aware of the "recycle" memo.

Another scrap yard says brass is so cheap they have not seen any in months. So, to quote the op,"where has all the brass gone"?

Went to CCW training and watched nearly all 100 people shoot 100 rounds each of 9mm. Asked 3 different people if I could get some brass. Found the right guy and he told me I could not have it because there might be some .40 in it. I said I would polish it and bring it back to him. No deal.

Like someone said just plain hording.

back in the 80s I bought 100k of .45acp brass. It came in 2 drums. Each was 12" wider than a 55 gallon drum. One was the same height. The other was about 18" tall. Looked like an oversize hockey puck. Never saw anything like either of them before or since. Kinda wish I had kept 20k of it.