Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag. base pad help

M109R

I just purchased a Glock 24 and need advise on which mag. base pads work best for USPSA limited.(from 15 to 20 rounds) I have been looking at the Arrendondo and Dawson both are about the same price which work best?

Edited by M109R

I've only used Arredondo. Heard good things about all of them as you can see above.

I did have some problems using them at first, but it was a spring issue and had nothing to do with the basepads. If I had to do it again, I'd still get the Arredondo's.

I use the Arredondo and Dawson for limited. Both have been reliable and hold the same amount of rounds (at least mine do). However, I prefer the profile of the Arredondo pads over DP. With that being said, just don't forget the disassembly tool that comes with the Arredondo :ph34r: (it sucks to try and clean your mags with out it)!

I use the Arredondo and Dawson for limited. Both have been reliable and hold the same amount of rounds (at least mine do). However, I prefer the profile of the Arredondo pads over DP. With that being said, just don't forget the disassembly tool that comes with the Arredondo :ph34r: (it sucks to try and clean your mags with out it)!

Unless they have changed how they do business, the nice thing is you get a tool for each extension so I have like 5 tools in just about every place. two in the range bag, one in the spare parts box, etc, etc.....

I went with the Dawson as the Arredondo units appeared to be made of a polymer. Anything that helps an empty mag fall, IMO is a benefit. I also Intend to get an ICE mag-well, and my guess is the Dawson components will integrate better.

Edited by Brian Dean

Thanks for all the replies. I went with the Dawson ice mag well and the Arredondo Mag base pads both work well together. I shoot some indoors and thought the Arredondo might hold up better than the Dawon pads being dropped on the concert.

Quick question for those of you who shoot limited with the extended base pads. How many do you actually use? I just lucked into a g35 and started to order 5 arredondo's then though "Wait, what am I going to do with that many rounds?" Do most of you guys carry a couple of 140mm mags and the rest stock?

Quick question for those of you who shoot limited with the extended base pads. How many do you actually use? I just lucked into a g35 and started to order 5 arredondo's then though "Wait, what am I going to do with that many rounds?" Do most of you guys carry a couple of 140mm mags and the rest stock?

I went through the same thought process recently and ended up only getting two. Mainly because funds were limited and I figure that's all I needed per stage. I plan on getting 2-3 more in a few paydays so I have enough incase of malfunction/broken parts. Once I have more I most likely won't carry any stock ones just so everything is the same during reloads.

Unless they have changed how they do business, the nice thing is you get a tool for each extension so I have like 5 tools in just about every place. two in the range bag, one in the spare parts box, etc, etc.....

You're right. They still ship a U tool with each basepad. However, if you suffer from "cranial rectitus" like I do, you'll find a way to leave every single one at home!! :wacko:

I have four or five for each limited gun.....

Sounds like a plan. Having a few extras in case of malfunction or reshoot could never hurt.

Nah, I'm really just a production shooter, so I might reload multiple times (shooting Limited) just because my feet are moving.....

....and if I can break the habit in the middle of a run, it's nice to know there's enough ammo in the gun to finish....

I have 3 Arredondos and 3 Gram's. I like the Arredondos since they are a lot easier to switch from mag to mag than the Gram's. The Gram's pads are heavier and a lot tougher. I have 2 Limited Glocks- 1 9mm and 1 .40. I use the Grams on the .40 and the Arries on the 9mm- just to make it easier to remember.

As for how many 140 mags I carry for the match, 3. To be honest, I could get away with 2 (or even 1) plus regular cap mags, but the extended mags are so much easier to seat. Not to mention, if I have a "mags in space" moment or a mag problem, I still have at least one more big mag.

Sounds like a plan. Having a few extras in case of malfunction or reshoot could never hurt.

Having extra rounds is not really the issue. I think it has to do more with being able to seat the mags if you have a magwell on the gun, kinda harder with stock mag.

Having extra rounds is not really the issue. I think it has to do more with being able to seat the mags if you have a magwell on the gun, kinda harder with stock mag.

Nah, having more than 16 or 18 rounds in the gun is definitely part of the issue in Limited --- though basepads also help if you're running a magwell....