Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What caliber is your Open gun?

G-ManBart

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty interesting numbers so far. I'm really surprised by the number of 9x23 and .40 guns listed...diversity is cool! Seems like the "38s" have started to build alead over the 9's but it's still impressive how many 9x19 guns there are out there now. R,

Pretty interesting numbers so far. I'm really surprised by the number of 9x23 and .40 guns listed...diversity is cool! Seems like the "38s" have started to build alead over the 9's but it's still impressive how many 9x19 guns there are out there now. R,

As of today--

All 9's -- 144

.38 super/SC -- 142

Call me surprised !! I knew the 9mm was popular, but always somehow thought it was odd boy out. Guess not... My Bedell(s) 9x19 run perfectly.

Edited by psyops

As of today--

All 9's -- 144

.38 super/SC -- 142

Call me surprised !! I knew the .355 was popular, but always somehow thought it was odd boy out. Guess not... My Bedell(s) 9x19 run perfectly.

Five 38 supers

As of today--

All 9's -- 144

.38 super/SC -- 142

Call me surprised !! I knew the 9mm was popular, but always somehow thought it was odd boy out. Guess not... My Bedell(s) 9x19 run perfectly.

Five 38 supers

??? I don't follow.

-Mike

Edited by psyops

+1 Looking at the numbers, I would be tempted to say 9mm major works :rolleyes:

I really had no idea that there were 10 of us .40 shooters out there...

Later,

Chuck

As of today--

All 9's -- 144

.38 super/SC -- 142

I would group the 9x23 with the .38 super's, instead of with the 9x19, if you had to group em, right??

I voted .38 Supercomp, but I also have a 9x19.

Edited by f250sd

As of today--

All 9's -- 144

.38 super/SC -- 142

Call me surprised !! I knew the 9mm was popular, but always somehow thought it was odd boy out. Guess not... My Bedell(s) 9x19 run perfectly

I would group the 9x23 with the .38 super's, instead of with the 9x19, if you had to group em, right??

I just looked (a few minutes after your post) and there are 148 Super/SC total. Other than the size of the semi-rim they're essentially identical. Even SC has a very slight semi-rim if you look closely.

I'm not so sure we can lump 9x19 and 9x21 or 9x23 in the same group. The big "problem" with 9x19 is it's short length and adding two or four mm it changes everything in the ability to get them to run and fit enough powder in them. The other thing that occurs to me is that almost nobody is building 9x21 or 9x23 Open guns now. I'm sure everyone once in a while someone will build one of those because they already have one and have the components etc, but I'd bet it's pretty rare. Neither 9x21 or 9x23 makes much sense from a financial standpoint now. The brass costs as much, or more, compared to 38SC. If you're going to do that might as well get the extra case capacity of the 38SC to add a few powder options and probably have less worries when it comes to mag choice/tuning.

9x19 is at 133 right now.

As of today--

All 9's -- 144

.38 super/SC -- 142

Call me surprised !! I knew the 9mm was popular, but always somehow thought it was odd boy out. Guess not... My Bedell(s) 9x19 run perfectly

I just looked (a few minutes after your post) and there are 148 Super/SC total. Other than the size of the semi-rim they're essentially identical. Even SC has a very slight semi-rim if you look closely.

I'm not so sure we can lump 9x19 and 9x21 or 9x23 in the same group. The big "problem" with 9x19 is it's short length and adding two or four mm it changes everything in the ability to get them to run and fit enough powder in them. The other thing that occurs to me is that almost nobody is building 9x21 or 9x23 Open guns now. I'm sure everyone once in a while someone will build one of those because they already have one and have the components etc, but I'd bet it's pretty rare. Neither 9x21 or 9x23 makes much sense from a financial standpoint now. The brass costs as much, or more, compared to 38SC. If you're going to do that might as well get the extra case capacity of the 38SC to add a few powder options and probably have less worries when it comes to mag choice/tuning.

I also have .38 supercomp but I shoot Majoer 9 only so I voted Major 9.

I would group brass for 4 different groups

1) 38 super and 38 super comps together

2) 9x19

3) 9x21 and 9x23 together

4) 40 S&W

I think the brass lenght is the key thing overhere.

Considering 9x19 Major has only been legal for a few years that's pretty good.

People are really interested in Major 9.

I was always like the idea to load them major 9 so when opportunity came I took it. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...