Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What caliber is your Open gun?

G-ManBart

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Major 9 = 9x19 that exceeds 165 PF. Length .vs SAAMI has nothing to do with it, specifically.... although most need to load longer than spec to accomplish it.

Major 9 = 9x19 that exceeds 160 PF in Europe (IPSC). My Major 9 loads are 167-168 PF so I am also USPSA legal Open Major shooter. :cheers:

Remimber when they all said MAJOR 9 will not work!!!!

HA!HA!HA!HAH!AHA!HAH!AH!AH!A!HH!HAHA!H!HAHA! I love my major 9 :cheers:

Sure they'll work if they're set up by someone who knows what they're doing. Two or three smiths that make good ones have told me it's not a problem at all, but it does take them more time to build an equally reliable gun in 9mm compared with Super. Nothing wrong with that really, just like a .40 SS gun takes a little more to make reliable.

Mine works and I still don't know what I'm doing :wacko:

Nick

I started with 38 super, then played with 9x23 and now 9 major. I still keep the 38S and 9x23 and use it once in a while. I now have another complete parts for a 9 major set-up from match prizes, so another 9major coming up for me.

I currently use a .38 Super, but in the safe are 7 old .45s from long ago. There's 2 pin guns, 1 6 in. bull barrel that is Magna Ported, 1 Clark Super Comp with iron sights, 1 Clark Super Comp with a Red Dot of some sort on it, 1 single port comp and 1 with a double port comp. All the .45s were used when there was no open division, although I did use the Red Dot Super Comp for awhile in Open. But single stack .45s, even with 10 rd. mags are at a great disavantage so they don't get used anymore.

I shoot 9 Major and for me is it the best thing since sliced bread. I use mostly Fiocchi cases but also Speer and Norma will do for match use. For practice is S&B the most common brand. I have tried several powders, Vith N350 and 3N38 Hogdon HS6 and Vectan SP2. The one that works best for me is Vith 3N38.

My Open gun is a SVI IMM.

I shoot 9 Major and for me is it the best thing since sliced bread. I use mostly Fiocchi cases but also Speer and Norma will do for match use. For practice is S&B the most common brand. I have tried several powders, Vith N350 and 3N38 Hogdon HS6 and Vectan SP2. The one that works best for me is Vith 3N38.

What weight bullet and how much powder are you using with the 3N38? I'm guessing the case has to be nearly full right?

What weight bullet and how much powder are you using with the 3N38? I'm guessing the case has to be nearly full right?

I use 9.2 gn of 3N38. The bullet is a 124gn FMJ usually Magtech. And you are right the case nearly full. The primers are Fed 100.

For practice though is the case and primer S&B and a 123 gn FMJ bullet from MFS.

Limcat Dragoncat in 38 Supercomp shooting 10.1gr. VV3N38 in Starline brass with MG 124 JHP and WSR. New Limcat Razorcat II in 9 Major shooting 8.1gr. VV3N37 with the same bullet and primer. I'm liking the major 9 a lot.

Limcat Dragoncat in 38 Supercomp shooting 10.1gr. VV3N38 in Starline brass with MG 124 JHP and WSR. New Limcat Razorcat II in 9 Major shooting 8.1gr. VV3N37 with the same bullet and primer. I'm liking the major 9 a lot.

Yikes, how do you guys with one of each vote? :wacko:

What is your PF with your new major 9?

How long do you load your ammos?

I don't have any holes in my barrel and my major 9 use 7.7gr VV3N37. Loads are PF 167-168.

Yikes, how do you guys with one of each vote? :wacko:

I actually selected both calibers.

What is your PF with your new major 9?

How long do you load your ammos?

I don't have any holes in my barrel and my major 9 use 7.7gr VV3N37. Loads are PF 167-168.

The OAL is 1.170"; I haven't chronoed that load but it's what Limcat told me. The new comp has two holes on the back side that goes through the barrel plus three holes on top. Pictures in this thread on top of page 8.

My primary open gun is a Bedell "Shorty" in .38 Supercomp, but, last year I picked up a 9mm to run minor loads in for 3-gun, but, I put together a major load for it with VV N-350.