Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW

Rolex

Short time ago I posted some problems with the EGW U-Die.

Well as problems continued I sent EGW an email about my

problem- George wrote back saying - they where having some

problems with Lee- sending dies that where marked wrong, and

to send the die back with some of the brass that I had sized. My

u-die was marked as ".9mm udie"

I am expecting a msg. from them any time now as to

what he may have found with this die as it was - Shaving- brass

at the bottom of the case and leaving a sharp ridge around it. :angry2:

How long ago did you buy your die? I got one for 9mm and 38 Super last month and it's the first time I'm using these dies. I did notice that effect on some 9mm casings and just throw those away. Not a whole lot though, just a handfull. Please post what you find out. Thanks.

Received my .9mm die Nov. 22 '08-

After trying extra lub and then using

the Dillon first and the EGW, still had

about the same problem with shaving

the brass! PLEASE call EGW and tell him

about the problem you are having- HE-

George wants to know whats going on

with these dies!! :angry2:

I received the EGW U die in 9mm yesterday. I sized and deprimed 100 cases with it after turning it down with the ram up untill I felt resistance. I had 5 cases with had shaved brass and sharp ridges. While checking it out I discovered the die was not contacting the shell plate. It was close but not all the way in. I used a feeler gauge to insure it was in far enough to just make that contact.

The next 100 cases showed only 2 cases with brass scrapings and those measured .395 all the way to the extractor grove before sizing. They were badly deformed and too much to resize. Pitched them! Normal cases showing .390 to .393 or so now size to about .387 with no further shaving or ridges.

FWIW

EGW informed me that they never got the die back!

I went to PO and they traced it- it was delivered to them

22 Dec.'08 at 10:05AM- yet they still tell me "we don't

have it" they stated they will let me know what they want

to do about it! Come on Mr. S JUST SEND ME ANOTHER!

Its like its there, someone just misplaced it, $29.00 for

a new one- NOT FROM ME!! :angry2:

Edit SP?

Edited by Rolex

JFWIW---I have U dies for 9, 38S, and 40 and NONE shave any brass. I bought my last one approximately six months ago.

If your U-die is shaving brass (even once) it's bad. I have loaded thousands and no brass shavings.

I purchased an EGW U-die in 9mm in November 2008. On the first case sizing I heard a metal noise that I presumed was something on my reloader. The die was leaving a strange pattern on the brass plus shaving the brass up into a sharp ridge. After a while I just happend to look at the base of the die and the carbide insert was cracked in two places. I think it broke the very first time I used it.

I emailed EGW and George responded right away and said to get it to him. I sent it in at my own expense via priority mail and received a new replacement die back in about a week.

The new die will shave brass as well but doesn't leave the pattern that the cracked die did.

I finally tried sizing the brass with my RCBS sizing die first, both of my Dillon sizers would shave brass as well, then I used the U-die. As long as I presize with the RCBS, which seems to have a more gradual or taper to its carbide insert, the U-die will size down far enough that the brass will easily go into my case guage and doesn't get shaved. Also, I don't need to use lube when I presize either.

In my case the 9mm chamber must be unsupported to the point that its simply too much for my Dillon or EGW dies to size the case without shaving it. When I try the EGW die on brass fired in a fully supported chamber there is no problem.

Regards...

Rolex:

Before I ordered my first U-die I asked George about what it will and won't do. He simply replied that if I didn't like it he would refund my money. I've heard of a number of problems with the U-die but not with service from George and EGW. Let's hope they just need some time to get it all sorted out.

Regards...

Edited by PhotoRecon

Hmmm...sounds like some just plain bad dies are getting through. I have them for 9MM, .40, .45 and .38/.357 and (knock on wood) have had nothing but good results over several thousand rounds in each caliber. Although it may not be the "proper" thing to do, I've had all mine in a turret head since day one with the dies low enough they get a firm "bump" from the shellholder on the breakover...so far, nothing but perfect results and no damage to the dies.

Hello: The 9mm "U" die have works great. It works just as well as the Dillon dies and does not mark the brass at all accept for a nice polished look :roflol: Sounds like you guys are getting dies with some rough spots on the carbide ring. Take a look at the carbide insert and see if you can see any lines or pick up areas. You may need a magnifier to see them. Thanks, Eric

Hey guys,

I would encourage anyone having issues with the 9mm undersize die to contact EGW via email directly. They will be able to help you because they know there was an issue with maybe a few dies getting out with the wrong size. I am shipping mine back to them today.

Regards,

Sandro

I have one in .38 Super. It works well on brass fired in my gun (.38 SC).

However, I have a bunch of brass that was fired in another gun and have experienced the shaving described. Case lube helps a little but I think the problem I have is due to the rounds being fired in a gun with an oversized chamber and then the brass having to be squeezed back into an undersize die.

From EGW inc

Hello All,

We had an issue where dies were sent and miss packaged to us.

They were switched and were in fact 9x18 in the 9mm packaging.

this has caused problems. Opps :wacko:

I believe the tracking on one of the die customers showed the die was still in florida so

we were waiting for it to show up. I believe that is resolved now.

Today we are out of 9mm U dies but expect stock in the next two weeks. we have 2 cases of

9x18 again if you know someone that needs one :rolleyes:

Thank you for the work

geo

www.egw-guns.com/store

• 3 weeks later...
Hi guys let us know when you get new U-dies from EGW.

I will order after I will know they are OK.

Thanks.

I just installed mine today. Arrived 2 days ago, so it's certainly going to be a 'new' one.

I've set my press up to presize with the Dillon die. (650)

1. Dillon decap and size

2. EGW U-die

3. (Removed the powder checker) Flare and charge with powder

4. Seat

5. Crimp

So it's going to get sized via Dillon & deprimed, primed, sized with the EGW, charged, then seat & crimp. Should cut down on the problems going straight from oversized case to an undersized die. I hope. I also use One Shot on all my cases.

We'll see how this works as soon as my order of Solo1000 shows up. Hopefully early next week.

:cheers: I received the new EGW u-die in .9mm!

NOTHING like my first one, no shaving of the brass,

all I can think is that the first one WAS marked

wrong and the ID was way out of spec and just

way to tight!

Nothing like a company that stands behind what they

sell, and sends a new one when the problems are

corrected. HAD TO LET YA KNOW! :D

UPDATE:

Shot 300 rounds that went through the U-die today. (All 9mm, of course)

50 147 P.D. FMJs with 3.2 titegroup... 50 of those with Clays, and 200 Blackbullets 147s with 3.2 Solo1000 under them.

The TG/Precision Delta load has been my staple since I started, and I loaded a few before I cranked out some clays and some BBs to test.

(I use mixed indoor range-floor brass scooped up after our Tuesday night IDPA matches, so I get a fair mix of once-fired and jillion-fired stuff. But it's free.)

I previously had 10-15 rounds out of 1000 that would not pass a Dillon case gauge. Half of these would run just fine through my Glock, and 5-10 would be so oversized they were only good for malfunction drills. Not any more. I took the EGW die and ground it down so that there's just the slightest hint of a taper/bell on the mouth of the die, and ground the surrounding material down so that the carbide insert is bearing directly on the shell plate. It sizes within 1/8"ish of the shellplate.

I set my 650 like this:

1. Dillon size/decap die

2. EGW U-die, no de-prime

3. Bell/Powder drop (there's more than enough room in the rod for the powder measure to reach the shellplate from here)

4. Dillon seat

5. Dillon crimp

I lube my brass with One Shot, and even then, the force required to size brass has almost doubled. It's definitely doing something. DO NOT attempt to size only with the EGW die. It will *kill* your arm.

Not one single case has failed to gauge so far. Very happy right now. :)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Hi All,

Sorry that we had problems with the dies. They have been a good part for US as you can tell from the

many people that have a 9 38 40 and 45.

Seems there were two issues in a row.

First we received some 9x18 dies. Not so good. :)

Than the next batch of dies came in and people were having issues with shaving brass and

making basically a new caliber, belted 9mm ammo.

We received some dies in thursday or friday and broke out the gage pins.

the base of the die where the taper starts was too tight on the last batch.

The New dies are correct. they gage about .003-.004 larger than the shaver batch.

Again sorry for the grief.

We will get all the dies in the shop replaced and than be able to fill new orders.

Best regards,

geo

www.egw-guns.com

I am using a Lee U-die from George that I purchased atleast 2 years ago. I do get 'shaved' cases about 1 out of every 200 reloads. Since I am using once (or more) fired brass, I realized that the shaved cases where likely fired through a gun with a larger chamber diameter than typical. I have never had a shaved case with new brass or brass fired from my guns, even multiple reloads. It occurs mainly with stuff I pick up off the range. I can feel these cases as soon as I start sizing and just throw them in the trash.

I am using a Lee U-die from George that I purchased atleast 2 years ago. I do get 'shaved' cases about 1 out of every 200 reloads. Since I am using once (or more) fired brass, I realized that the shaved cases where likely fired through a gun with a larger chamber diameter than typical. I have never had a shaved case with new brass or brass fired from my guns, even multiple reloads. It occurs mainly with stuff I pick up off the range. I can feel these cases as soon as I start sizing and just throw them in the trash.

Do you size them with anything else first?

I've loaded some seriously swollen cases, but I run them through the Dillon die first, and use a crapton of One Shot.