Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Space City Challenge 2009

I walked the stages today around 3pm. Drove back to Spring, TX in rain that could only be rivaled by my shower at home. Standing water on 45 was interesting. I can't wait to shoot the match tomorrow. Videos and pictures to follow.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What should have been a 3 hour drive today took over 5... I had to drive through the heavy stuff... Tornado 10 miles down the road from where I was driving at one point. Signs blown over in Bertram (like, big store signs)... (not so) fun stuff...

Lets hope for less rain than I dealt with today for the shooting spree tomorrow... :surprise:

I was in Houston all week and weather was GREAT until yesterday. I left Houston yesterday afternoon about 3 pm right before the weather turned bad. I am sure some places got a lot of rain.

Keep us updated on the match. Thanks.

Unbelievable amount of rain!! houses are under water with people crying out in front of them! The range - well lets just say we could not see the roads leaving out - 14" deep in places.

I will not say who but a shooter was making an attempt at getting to their car and could not see a ditch. He went right in up to his chest in water!!! Gun and all!

I have never seen this much water without a hurricane being present!!!

Edited by KGentry

The street in front of my house is flooded with 2 ft of water right now. People on my street had to move their cars and TRUCKS out of the street because water was getting into them.

This is all from a thunderstorm...?

Hopefully the range has a good drainage system...

We left soon after KGentry (ie - one of the last poor souls out) and you literally could not see the road behind the bays at the south end of the range. The entire parking area, ditches, etc was completely flooded by that point. Unbelievably flooded.

The fun didn't stop there though as we ended up with water coming over the hood on at least five more occasions on the drive home. Somewhere on FM 528 / 518 we discovered the fire ants. There were dozens of fire ants that had tagged along on my buddy's boots. Madness ensued. Absolute madness.

After spending about 30 minutes divesting the car of the ants (and of the boots - now in the trash if anyone needs boots with pissed off fire ants inside them), we continued on our way. That is to say, we crossed half of south Houston in order to get back across I-45 to the warm and domicile.

Anyway, we're still alive for now. Damn.

Holy sheeeit Batman!!! Did someone mention the ungodly ammount of rain that is falling!!!??? Two cars ended up in the ditch leaving the range, several more looked to be flooding while in the parking lot. I followed a friend out so I could see where the road was... On the ride home passed several cars flooded out on highway 6, underpasses with several feet of water adn unpassable, water completely over the highway in half a dozen or more places, deep. News comfirmed later that is was actaully coming down 4 to 5 inches an hour, possible higher at times.

And Aristotle is the MAN!!! After getting soaked to the bone before he got to cover where the rest of us already were, he went out in the worst of it to rescue some range bags that were accidentally left on a bay. Lost sight of him for a while (it was that bad!) only to see him reappear lugging either 3 or 4 bags wading in water up to mid thigh to get back to where we were hiding. And was laughing and smiling the while time!!! He's got some video of the storm in action, hope he can post it later...

Can I go ahead and nominate him for member of the month...?

Hey, who's complaing about a little rain. This is just another day at the range for us guys from Houston!

More seriously. This is the info that I just sent out via email to all shooters. We see you all tomorrow to finish up the Saturday squads and run the Sunday shooters. The stages are great so come and have a good time:

Hi everyone, Landis here.

Today was a very difficult day at the range. We shot for about about 4.5 hours before the skies poured about about 6 inches of rain on us. The range turned into a lake. 67% of the Saturday portion of the match was scored before we postponed until tomorrow.

The good news is that this range has extremely well developed drainage. The setup crew will show up early and get it put back together.

7:45 shooter meeting and hammer down at 8:am. Saturday shooters will report back to the stage that they were shooting when it started raining. Sunday shooters will start on the same stages that they are scheduled for. We'll have large squads for the first couple of hours and then we'll finish up quickly. Hopefully we'll get a bunch of people help taping and be out of there with little delay.

While the scores are being finalized we distribute the random prize table. If shooters aren't present to win then we'll arrange to get their prizes to them.

See you at the range tomorrow!

Thanks, Landis

We'll ahve the random prize table while the scoring and during the hour of protest. The awards will follow. Hopefully the match

Holy sheeeit Batman!!! Did someone mention the ungodly ammount of rain that is falling!!!??? Two cars ended up in the ditch leaving the range, several more looked to be flooding while in the parking lot. I followed a friend out so I could see where the road was... On the ride home passed several cars flooded out on highway 6, underpasses with several feet of water adn unpassable, water completely over the highway in half a dozen or more places, deep. News comfirmed later that is was actaully coming down 4 to 5 inches an hour, possible higher at times.

And Aristotle is the MAN!!! After getting soaked to the bone before he got to cover where the rest of us already were, he went out in the worst of it to rescue some range bags that were accidentally left on a bay. Lost sight of him for a while (it was that bad!) only to see him reappear lugging either 3 or 4 bags wading in water up to mid thigh to get back to where we were hiding. And was laughing and smiling the while time!!! He's got some video of the storm in action, hope he can post it later...

Can I go ahead and nominate him for member of the month...?

I'll second that nomination! :cheers:

Left the range at 3:00 got home at 6:00 (usually takes an hour).

I really appreciate everyone's good attitude in dealing with the adversity. Most fun I have ever had in a monsoon.

See y'all tomorrow on Stage 1.

Jack

Well, I'm bummed. For various reasons, I couldn't stay another day - have to pick up my wife at the airport tomorrow, and have too many other balls in the air that need tending... :( Nice to be home, warm and dry, but I really would've liked to finish the match. Oh well...

There's some vindication here... the last time I shot in craptacular conditions, I failed horribly. This time, I was shooting well, regardless of bags, light rain, delays for heavier rain, etc. <sigh> Those are the breaks, I suppose...

It was getting bad on the range when I left around 3:15... I suspected it was going to get worse... sounds like it did :( Hopefully, it'll be in better shape tomorrow, and you guys can finish up without a problem...

I hate to sound all wimpy and everything, but hearing all this I'm glad I didn't make it this year. It seemed like months before everything dried out after Tulsa last Sept., and this sounds MUCH worse.

Well, the range got wet yesterday afternoon and evening, but was in fine shape today when we arrived. But, the amount of rainfall at the range was truly impressive. Between the rain, lightning and wind, it made Tulsa look kind of boring. But, there was nowhere near that kind of mud. Tulsa was freaking miserable. This wasn't that bad... just a lot wetter ;)

Man, it sounds like it was a rough day for you guys!! We had rain moving through Dripping Springs and Austin early this morning and the radar showed it all heading east so I knew it was going to rain but I didn't think it was going to be THAT bad!

Hope things dry out for ya'll tomorrow! Nice and sunny here now so hopefully the storms will move on out for ya!!

Thomas

To validate my post above, I have attached some pics from my house. I can't imagine what the range looked like...

During the STORM:

post-11934-1240103558_thumb.jpg

After the storm surge receeded:

post-11934-1240103518_thumb.jpg

Edited by gunnerBU

There's some vindication here... the last time I shot in craptacular conditions, I failed horribly. This time, I was shooting well, regardless of bags, light rain, delays for heavier rain, etc. <sigh> Those are the breaks, I suppose...

On stage 4 its Dave's turn to shoot. He walks up to the line and its a nice drizzle. On the command "shooter ready?" the rain stops. He shoots (really well too!) and on the command "hammer down, holster, range is clear" the rain resumes.

If he only stayed we might have finished the day wearing sunscreen. :)

To validate my post above, I have attached some pics from my house. I can't imagine what the range looked like...

During the STORM:

post-11934-1240103558_thumb.jpg

After the storm surge receeded:

post-11934-1240103518_thumb.jpg

Pretty much sums it up!

Jack