Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much to save up?

OK, so this is probably a dumb question, but this is the innernet so nobody has to read it if they don't want. :rolleyes:

I want to start reloading as soon as I can, which isn't now 'cause I'm broke from the holidays, tuition and so forth. I have limited means, so (here's why the question isn't completely stupid) I would prefer to buy used equipment instead of new. I want to load 9mm, .45, .223, and .270 more-or-less immediately (i.e. I currently own guns in those calibers that are hungry but getting expensive to feed). Eventually there will probably be .40, .308, .30-06 and someday in the very distant future I want a .50BMG (but that's decades away). I'm thinking Dillon simply because the kool-aid looks so tasty, what with all the posts about reliability, speed, and great service. I'm not married to that plan, but it seems that I'll eventually want one and I'd rather "buy once, cry once" as the saying goes --- even if it means waiting a while to make the buy.

Obviously I watch the Classifieds here as much as I can to get an idea of what's going on, but I thought I'd get a general opinion if I could. So, given the list of calibers, I'm thinking to start saving up for either a 550 or more likely a 650. Leaving out a discussion of what accessories to buy (which is rehashed over and over again on this forum, and I have been reading and saving up threads on the subject) but including a rough estimate of their cost, the question is: how much should I save up before I put out a WTB post? I know that this will give me only a vague idea, but at least I can have a target where I say "now it's time to seriously look." I know I'm months (at least) away from buying (can only save around $100-150/mo to this project at the moment, and that's assuming that I don't buy any other shooting supplies in the meantime.)

Thanks,

-- John.

PS: in the meantime, if someone in the neighborhood of the Denver-Boulder area wants to rent me some time on their gear, some arrangements could be made by way of compensation.

Save your money until you find a used Dillon 550 and accessories. You won't be disappointed. You can get the Dillon electronic scale for about $180 dollars but you can buy a franklin electronic scale as well as many others for around $30. I see no difference in the scales but the reloading machine, Dillon is BEST.

OK, so this is probably a dumb question, but this is the innernet so nobody has to read it if they don't want. :rolleyes:

I want to start reloading as soon as I can, which isn't now 'cause I'm broke from the holidays, tuition and so forth. I have limited means, so (here's why the question isn't completely stupid) I would prefer to buy used equipment instead of new. I want to load 9mm, .45, .223, and .270 more-or-less immediately (i.e. I currently own guns in those calibers that are hungry but getting expensive to feed). Eventually there will probably be .40, .308, .30-06 and someday in the very distant future I want a .50BMG (but that's decades away). I'm thinking Dillon simply because the kool-aid looks so tasty, what with all the posts about reliability, speed, and great service. I'm not married to that plan, but it seems that I'll eventually want one and I'd rather "buy once, cry once" as the saying goes --- even if it means waiting a while to make the buy.

Obviously I watch the Classifieds here as much as I can to get an idea of what's going on, but I thought I'd get a general opinion if I could. So, given the list of calibers, I'm thinking to start saving up for either a 550 or more likely a 650. Leaving out a discussion of what accessories to buy (which is rehashed over and over again on this forum, and I have been reading and saving up threads on the subject) but including a rough estimate of their cost, the question is: how much should I save up before I put out a WTB post? I know that this will give me only a vague idea, but at least I can have a target where I say "now it's time to seriously look." I know I'm months (at least) away from buying (can only save around $100-150/mo to this project at the moment, and that's assuming that I don't buy any other shooting supplies in the meantime.)

Thanks,

-- John.

PS: in the meantime, if someone in the neighborhood of the Denver-Boulder area wants to rent me some time on their gear, some arrangements could be made by way of compensation.

AZShooter is a +1. There are a large amount of less expensive solutions, but if you make the decision to buy the BLUE machine, get a 550 (Either new or used), and don't look back. My first 550 was purchased in 1988. My son and I wanted to reload because we were shooting more. Well after 20+ years, 100's of 1,000's rounds, 3 full (FREE) re-builds (We basically wore it out), its still reloading today. Oh and even after all of this, I can probably sell this machine for at least 80% of TODAY's value.

So save your money. The 550 will handle all of your needs (except or 50BMG) for just about every caliber you will ever dream of.

Enjoy

Amount of $$$ will depend on what you find but I would think you could get going for around $600.00.

Keep in mind, however, bullets, powder, primers, cases will also be in the budget (as I'm sure you know)

Myself, I recommend the 650, I enjoy mine and it cranks out the rounds at a good clip once its set where you want it. I have never used a 550, but have never heard anyone bitch about them

Have fun

Edited by wooddog

+2 on the 550. They're simple to setup, use, and maintain. We've got 2, one set up for 45LC and one for 9mm. Oh, did I mention we have 2 1050s as well. One set for 40 cal and one for 223, and a SL900 for shotgun.

Dillon service has been great even on a used 550. BTW, the simple electronic scale works great.

The problem is that it all starts so small and just grows.

Be careful and have fun.

T

It sounds like a 550 is a good place to start and something I'll never get rid of. That may make it difficult to find used! As far as calibers are concerned, I know that both the 550 and 650 will serve me well. I listed .50 in the original post simply for completeness; by the time I can afford a .50 rifle I'm sure I'll be able to buy another press to go with it if I have to. Like I said, decades away. I've seen many posts (including above) about how someone has multiple presses, and I hope that day will come. For now, 9mm, .45, .223 and .270 will be sufficient. I even have a set of (Hornady) dies for the .270, so at least that's some stuff that doesn't need to factor in.

That said, can anyone suggest what you think a fair price on a used, bare-bones press is? That way, I have a starting point to evaluate future offers (can add to that guesstimate for whatever various upgrades one has).

Since it was mentioned that a used press would probably go for around 80% of market price (~$400 for a 550, according to the latest catalog), the difference between new and used would be $80. Is that extra $80 for a brand-new press important? With some products (e.g. guns) I like to make sure I'm not buying someone else's problem-child. Dillon's reputation for customer service (and transferable warranty) seem to make that a moot point.

Thanks again!

-- John.

I would save your money and skip the 550 and just get a 650. I have loaded on a 550 before and can not live without auto-indexing and a case feeder. I use a Hornady L-N-L which had both. If you wanna stay Dillon get a 650.

Save a dime now, spend a dollar later... I bet you will want to upgrade and have to go through the hassle of selling 1 press and buying another.

Edited by irq23

If this is your first press I would strongly recomend buying new for the little extra $$ needed. If something is bumped in shipping or there is a spring that is weak somewhere it could make your set up hell, it will be easier on you to know whats going on in the first place. Of course that all goes out the window if someone lives by you that you can put your head together with to see what's what.

+1 on the 650

Phil

Just an FYI, there are deals out there to be had. I just bought the following:

Dillon RL 550B with the conversion for .45 ACP. It comes with the following:

.45 ACP Dillon Die set

Strong mount

Aluminum bullet tray

MR Dial installed on the powder bar

and all the other goodies that come with it when purchased new including the manual to set it up.

the press itself is in good condition only loaded about 500 rounds on it and then it just sat there on the bench

for $375 shipped!!

Just an FYI, there are deals out there to be had. I just bought the following:

Dillon RL 550B with the conversion for .45 ACP. It comes with the following:

.45 ACP Dillon Die set

Strong mount

Aluminum bullet tray

MR Dial installed on the powder bar

and all the other goodies that come with it when purchased new including the manual to set it up.

the press itself is in good condition only loaded about 500 rounds on it and then it just sat there on the bench

for $375 shipped!!

:surprise:

good deal. I need to find such a setup in 9mm. Ive been saving my pennies, and am now actively looking.

• 1 year later...

My first press was a 650, many years ago; at my age, it will likely be the only press I'll ever own. Even if you delay your entry into reloading by a half year or so (as I did), it will be a good tradeoff for you, as it was for me.

Buy new if you can, used if you must. Be sure you have the powder scale and a lot of reloading manuals.

Be sure to ask for help from Dillon (or here), if you're in doubt about anything.

• 3 months later...

To address the OP, it seems that two needs are advanced here; first, the need to reload for the two rifle & two pistol calibers specified, and "right now." Second, that the means are pretty limited. The volume to be fired isn't specified, but it can be inferred that it probably won't be a huge amount, given the budget involved.

First, for the crowd that wears bue glasses: I own and use a Dillon 650, and have for the past five years, and I love it. I still reload all rifles except .223 on an ancient Rock Chucker, and before the Dillon I loaded pistols on two Lee Pro 1000s. This press that has been highly vilified, but I loaded many thousands of perfectly good rounds over 20 years on them, and sold them for little less than I paid.

However, there are several problems I see here, given the needs of the OP:

1. A Dillon 650 XL is not inexpensive, around $550 right now, and a full caliber change with dies, conversion kit, turret, etc. is going to run around $150. Things that make life a lot easier, like an extra primer feed and powder measures only add to that. I have around $1000 tied up in my 650 right now.

2. Caliber conversions on the 650 are not particularly easy to do (regardless of guys on forums who say they can convert in 5 minutes). I nearly sold it after having had it for less than a year, but resolved the issue of frequent changes by just acquiring a lot more cases and loading several thousand at a go, thus greatly reducing conversion time.

Given that the means here are limited, and the volume to be fired in any one caliber probably not all that much in the immediate future, I recommend the following:

1. For the rifle calibers, a Lee Classic Cast for $86, a Rock Chucker on steriods. This big hunk 'o iron will also load .50 BMG when you get around to it, and as long as you're not shooting more than a few hundred rounds a year, IMO is the most cost-effective and efficient way to load the bottleneck rifle cases.

2. For the pistol calibers, the Lee Pro 1000, complete in one caliber (and this includes dies & powder measure) for $160. Add another complete pistol caliber by just buying another setup; this will cost little more than a Dillon caliber conversion.

3. You will require several hundred dollars to buy the other things you need: rifle dies, a powder scale, a measure, and a good manual. Then there is a supply of cases.......as any reloader will tell you, it never seems to end, but it is possible to get started with good equipment on the cheap.

Good luck in our common pursuit....or insanity, if you prefer.

• 4 weeks later...

Until you can afford something faster and better the lee classic turret is the best bargain press. It takes four times as long as a 550 to load. It is a 1/3 the price and cost a lot less to add calibers to. the classic turret is the only lee press worth owning. After that the 550, and LNL are about the same price. the LNL is a better buy. Its equivalent to a 650. Dillions have the best guarantee.

I know this is counter the culture of this forum. But if you need to load a lot of calibers that you only shoot a moderate amount of ammo out of the Lee CLASSIC Turret is a great start. It works as a single stage easily. It cost only $10 to convert from one caliber to the next (not including dies). It actually works. It's not hugely speedy but it not horribly slow either. You can start reloading with EVERYTHING you need for $350. After that you get the 650 for the caliber (or two) that you actually shoot a lot of. The other plan is to get a Single Stage for all the stuff you only shoot a moderate amount out of. LCT is so much faster. 200 rds a hour is safe bet once you get the hang of it. LCT actually cost about the same as two caliber conversions so it's easy to keep your cost down and actually afford to shoot more types of ammo with out breaking the bank on caliber conversions.

I know this is counter the culture of this forum. But if you need to load a lot of calibers that you only shoot a moderate amount of ammo out of the Lee CLASSIC Turret is a great start. It works as a single stage easily. It cost only $10 to convert from one caliber to the next (not including dies). It actually works. It's not hugely speedy but it not horribly slow either. You can start reloading with EVERYTHING you need for $350. After that you get the 650 for the caliber (or two) that you actually shoot a lot of. The other plan is to get a Single Stage for all the stuff you only shoot a moderate amount out of. LCT is so much faster. 200 rds a hour is safe bet once you get the hang of it. LCT actually cost about the same as two caliber conversions so it's easy to keep your cost down and actually afford to shoot more types of ammo with out breaking the bank on caliber conversions.

+1

Very good advice IMHO. Lee CLASSIC Turret not the Lee Turret Press, there is quite a difference.

This will allow you to reload and shoot while you are saving up for your Dillon.

ST

:)

Just don't buy the Lee Turret Kit. It comes with a crappy Lee Scale. Get the kit from Kemps's Gun Shop. Buy the Dillon scale, calipers, etc. from Brian. Also, the Pro Auto Disc is the only way to go. Don't get the other cheaper one. The primary reason to get the LCT is to have a resonably fast press with inexpensive calber conversioins. If you really don't mind paying the conversion cost for the 550/650 then get the dillon. It's a better press. I kinda wish I had just bought a 1050 for my 9mm and a LCT for everything else I shoot.

I got a 550 from brian two years ago and now reload 6 calibers. I got a separate tool head / powder die for each caliber for $31. I can change calibers in about 10 minutes. The 550 caliber conversions cost $ 43 and the dies cost the same no matter which machine you use. I believe it is significanly more expensive to change calibers quick in a 650.