Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone tried a bolt action comp

B.Reid

I've got a Remington LTR with a 20" fluted barrel. I've thought about putting a comp on it. Has anyone else done this? I'll have to have it threaded and a special comp made or use an existing one. I'm curious to see if this is a worhwhile task or just a waste of time and money. It's a really good shooting rifle but I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Thanks,

Bryan

The Holland quick discharge comp is outstanding, especially for magnums but works great on any caliber. Available thru Brownells. It drastically softens the recoil and is shorter than most comps. It does need to be threaded and properly centered. It also comes in different finishes and has no bottom ports so there's no dust cloud.

I'm putting a JP-BC comp on my 308. It's only 'cause it's what I had laying around. My first preference would be a Surefire 'cause when we soon move to a free state, I'll be putting a can on it.

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg

Thanks alot folks. Did any of you notice an improvement or decrease in the accuracy of the rifle? Was there any noticeable decrease in velocity? I'm kinda new to this side of the shooting sport so forgive me if I ask a dumb question. I do hunt with this gun but I'm also gonna try my hand at some local matches that reward points for the tightest groups and then the final target being a clay bird at about 440 yards so I still want a tack driver. Thanks again.

Bryan,

Unless you have some electronic muffs with you, I personally wouldn't hunt with any rifle with a muzzle break. My ears would be ringing for hours, but I'm a pussy...............

Thanks alot folks. Did any of you notice an improvement or decrease in the accuracy of the rifle? Was there any noticeable decrease in velocity? I'm kinda new to this side of the shooting sport so forgive me if I ask a dumb question. I do hunt with this gun but I'm also gonna try my hand at some local matches that reward points for the tightest groups and then the final target being a clay bird at about 440 yards so I still want a tack driver. Thanks again.

Ain't nothing wrong with the accuracy of that rifle.........comp isn't your cure :roflol::roflol::roflol:

What match is this??????

This is probably your best option for a "tack driver".....

post-6763-1231297795_thumb.jpg

Edited by DrawandDuck

Bryan,

Unless you have some electronic muffs with you, I personally wouldn't hunt with any rifle with a muzzle break. My ears would be ringing for hours, but I'm a pussy...............

I completely understand that but having burst my left eardrum once and Webb lining up his comp with my right ear once I'm a little hard of hearing anyway so I figured what the heck. The techno;ogy today for hearing aids is awesome. Ill just get to give you guys some advice when it's your time.

Ain't nothing wrong with the accuracy of that rifle.........comp isn't your cure :roflol::roflol::roflol:

What match is this??????

This is probably your best option for a "tack driver".....

As Mater once said "That's funny, I don't care who you are." At least I've not had a girl outdrink me. :sick:

Bryan,

Been there, done that. Browning A-Bolt II .270 with a brake (BOSS) in a treestand, when I was about 16. My dad heard the shot and tried to call me on the walkie-talkie, but I couldn't hear for about five minutes. I'm pretty sure that's what started my (very mild) tinnitus, so you could say that my ears have been ringing for about eight years.

The worst part is that since it was the first time I was shooting at a living animal, and the first time with any elevation, and about 20 degrees Fahrenheit, I was nervous/excited/jittery/shivering and missed that doe. She was probably only 120-150 yards away. It had to be my fault; at the range, I could hit 1" or better groups at 100 yards with that gun.

-- John.

Bryan,

Been there, done that. Browning A-Bolt II .270 with a brake (BOSS) in a treestand, when I was about 16. My dad heard the shot and tried to call me on the walkie-talkie, but I couldn't hear for about five minutes. I'm pretty sure that's what started my (very mild) tinnitus, so you could say that my ears have been ringing for about eight years.

The worst part is that since it was the first time I was shooting at a living animal, and the first time with any elevation, and about 20 degrees Fahrenheit, I was nervous/excited/jittery/shivering and missed that doe. She was probably only 120-150 yards away. It had to be my fault; at the range, I could hit 1" or better groups at 100 yards with that gun.

-- John.

I've got tinnitus so bad I sometimes wake up thinking Paul Revere must be doing laps in my backyard. :roflol: I guess that's what happens after too many Open 9 rounds.

My Great-Grandfather was a master gunsmith by the name of Carl Woodhouse. He built a few rifles namely .35 Ackleys with Cutts Compensators. It was to bleed gass off at the end of the bullets path through the barrel to limit any blow by or un-equal pressure on the bullets base as it exited the barrel. I know he wasn't the only one to do this and most of his rifles he built in the 50s and 60s. It is an accuracy thing not just a follow-up -shot thing. Now wether it really works I don't know. Just have seen older rifles with it on them. I've seen shotguns with them also. Was told it helped keep the pattern tighter.

I don't like ANY brake with holes all the way around it. It will throw dirt and shit all over you when prone in a Tactical comp. I like the Badger FTE, the Badger Thruster, but most especially I like the Patriot Arms "Lil Bastard". It out performs any break I have ever tried and I have tried a LOT of the bolt rifle brakes.

The PAI is cut at angles instead of just boring straight through. This angles gas back opposite of the direction of the recoil and really makes the rifle shoot soft.

This is a photo of the "Fat Bastard" and the "Lil Bastard"

1017.jpg

This is the FB installed.

DSCN0023.jpg

I don't like ANY brake with holes all the way around it. It will throw dirt and shit all over you when prone in a Tactical comp. I like the Badger FTE, the Badger Thruster, but most especially I like the Patriot Arms "Lil Bastard". It out performs any break I have ever tried and I have tried a LOT of the bolt rifle brakes.

The PAI is cut at angles instead of just boring straight through. This angles gas back opposite of the direction of the recoil and really makes the rifle shoot soft.

This is a photo of the "Fat Bastard" and the "Lil Bastard"

1017.jpg

This is the FB installed.

DSCN0023.jpg

That looks pretty sweet. Where can I get one?

Tell Jered Bobby sent you and the conversation will get real funny real quick. Jered's a great dude, a great friend, and one hell of a rifle builder. Mike Rock once told me, if he was going to have anyone build him a rifle, it would be a kid in Georgia named Joplin.

http://www.patriotarmsinc.com/t-contact.aspx

I recently got my rifle back after having a JP tank brake put on it and it is amazing. My 22-250 kicks as much as my 308 does now. Also had my smith make thread protector so that I can take it off when I go hunting.