Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone tried a bolt action comp

B.Reid

I guess it depends on your definition of sexy.

I've shot a 300 win mag with a JP tank brake and could easily see your hits at 300 plus it. I have a Rolling Thunder on a .308 and it recoils like a .223.

I am putting a Rolling Thunder on my .280 rem AI that I just ordered the barrel for this week I can't wait to get it back in 8 weeks. It should give great results. Benny said some guys are running the Rolling Thunder on some 6.5's with good resultsalso.

I don't like ANY brake with holes all the way around it. It will throw dirt and shit all over you when prone in a Tactical comp. I like the Badger FTE, the Badger Thruster, but most especially I like the Patriot Arms "Lil Bastard". It out performs any break I have ever tried and I have tried a LOT of the bolt rifle brakes.

The PAI is cut at angles instead of just boring straight through. This angles gas back opposite of the direction of the recoil and really makes the rifle shoot soft.

This is a photo of the "Fat Bastard" and the "Lil Bastard"

1017.jpg

This is the FB installed.

DSCN0023.jpg

I checked out the Fat Bastard and it looks like the slots vent backwards. Do the spent gasses hit the shooter? I've shot Sabre's Gill brake and the concussion seemed to hit me in the face.

No, gas is not to the shooter, but spotter beware. The guys laying beside you will feel it. You're not far from me. Why don't you plan to come to Opelika Feb 7th for the Hard Rock 1000 yard match. I have a few guns with PAI brakes I'd be glad to let you shoot. We can even screw the brake off and screw a can on so you can compare the recoil. If you're interested PM me and I'll give you my contact info.

The Badger Ordnance FTE is kind of clunky looking, but works. Especially nice on Savage barrels where timing may be an issue...

PICT0115.jpg

The Vais brake is pretty effective and not very loud... but with the bottom ports it does throw crap everywhere if you are off in the dirt and grass...

The latest one that I have on my 6x47L is a Badger Ordnance Thruster, which seems to work pretty well... gun just wiggles a bit and almost wants to pull *forward*.

ReloadingStuff002.jpg

Monte

I had George @ GAP put a Thruster on a Surgeon build for me once when PAI was temporarily out of brakes. It's now sitting in the drawer in my gun shop. The LB is that much better. I don't make anything off of the PAI brakes, and I don't get any special deals at PAI, so my love for the brake is purely performance based.

I had a shooting buddy back in the 80s who bought a Bridgeport Mill and fancied himself a gunsmith. He made all kinds of compensators, some worked, some didn't, all were butt ugly. He had a Spanish Mauser rebarreled to 7.62x51. He then threaded the muzzle and made a 3 chamber, 6 port compensator. The ports were at 90 and 270 degrees and angled back. On a 200 yd 6" plate I could see the hit when I fired offhand. Comps work, some better than others, but they all work. You see side ports on rifles, or radial ports, because centerfire rifles make so much gas pressure that top ports ( at 0 degrees) push the muzzle down.

Bobby,

I'll have to take your word for it... the Thruster works well enough w/ a 6x47L that I'm pretty content - enough so that I can't see paying for a new brake and installation and finishing to get improve on what I have now. I will keep an eye out and see if I run into anyone w/ one mounted up out this way - I would like to test-fire one. Who knows, I might change my mind ;)

You mentioned that you've tried a lot of brakes... how does the Lil' Bastard or Fat Bastard compare to the PainKiller brake?

Monte

Edited by milanuk

I have a picture around here somewhere with GA George shooting one on his ASC rifle. I sent in a .308 to get a re-barrel and he asked to keep my brake so he could use it on one of his rifles. That kinda says something to me right there. ;)

The Thruster IS a good brake, the PAI is just a little better in my opinion.

Call J.L. and ask him about his. I think it was a Holland break he put on his TC in 300 Win Mag. He said it tamed the recoil significantly and he says it's no louder than it was before he put it on. Course like many of us, he's already nearly deaf anyway, so take that with a grain of salt. I've seen a quarter size group he shot at 300 yards with it, so I don't think it hurt the accuracy any.

If you're brake is effecting your accuracy there can be a multitude of issues. The common ones are from the bore of the brake being too small and you are getting strikes or yaw induced by gasses.

This is a 5 shot group at 600 yards out of my .308

100_0909.jpg

100_0907.jpg

This is a 300 yard group.

DSCF0470.jpg

I had a stainless break brazed onto a pencil barreled Stainless Remington 700 Mountain gun by MagnaPort. They are just outside of Detroit and have dozens of patents on barrel drilling/porting technology. The break looks like it came on the gun... they even matched the finish perfectly. The owner of the company is a famous industry hunter/shooter/inventor noted for elephant hunting and the like with his custom hand cannons.

My rifle is a VERY light weight 30:06 (under 7 pounds with the scope) and it really dropped the recoil and if anything... improved accuracy because they re-cut the barrel crown.... the muzzle blast is pretty serious however with hot loads if you don't have hearing protection on.