Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

160gr cast bullet for 9mm minor?

Tokarev

I've got a couple hundred old 160gr round nosed bullets that I'll probably never use in a .38 Super. Does anybody have a load for these in 9mm? I'm hoping I can get the bullets seated to magazine length and still have room for a little gunpowder!

TIA!

Watch that they don't bulge the case at the base of the bullet too, that can be a PITA.

I have about 300 pounds of 160 SWC with a bevel base left that I have shot in 9mm, I used Bullseye and Clays but I have no idea anymore how much. I wasn't sure they were leaving the barrel until I saw the holes in the target, they were that soft. No idea what the power factor was, I never chono'd them. They shot well out to 25 yards with no apparent drop and cycled a stock G17 and a Taurus 99 so they had to have been at or close to minor. That particular G17 wouldn't run below 115 PF at all. I use the same bullet in 38 special a lot.

Moneypenny and Kingman played with those some...should be something about them on the forum.

True - they even made a brief business venture out of selling 180 grain cast lead .357/38 bullets (re-sized for 9mm) and they were using really fast powder too (IIRC). Talk about soft shooting!

Business folded after Bob went back to school & Moneypenny devoted all his time to practicing & moving up in the ranks.

Would be nice to see 160s offered by Precision, Zero and PD. Don't think the demand is there though.

I just took some of my RNFP 158 gr. .38 bullets from a Lee mould and ran them through the .356" sizer on my Star. Loaded them up with a light charge of WST and they shoot great out of my Glock 17L with a storm lake barrel.

Not hard to get heavy 9mm bullets when you make your own. You really just have to look out for the bullet shape.

Neal in AZ

Where'd you get those Andy? Get 'em recently?

No. I got these from Kead Bullets probably five years ago.

There are alot of places selling the 150gr .38 Super or the 147gr 9mm cast bullets. I'll play with some of the 147's and see what I can come up with once all these 160's are gone.

Colorado Cast Bullets make a .356 150gr RN and a .356 162gr RN. They have the lube groove moved way down toward the base so you can seat them out if loading in a .45 length mag. They used to load what I called a Super 9; a 9x19 case loaded to 1.24" with the 162grRN bullet. It was loaded to 38Super length. The only justification was the cheap brass. It was not tremendously popular because of the heavy bullet.

I loaded up a handful of these with 2.5gr of 700-X. The results were less than stellar.

Of the 100 rounds I loaded, about half didn't have enough oomhp to cycle fully in my M&P Pro. Even the ones that did cycle enough to chamber the next round didn't provide enough slide energy to lock the slide open.

Most of the cases have very flat primers and some are cratered pretty good. 700-X is a fast powder but it's slower than TG and some others that I know guys are running in 9mm. Even so, I won't be using this powder again due to the pressure signs and weak slide action.

Overall, I think I've talked myself out of the really heavy bullet idea. I didn't bother chronographing any of these rounds but they don't feel any better (no more or less muzzle rise) than Bullseye and a 147gr cast bullet.

Tok - You might want to try some with 3.0-3.5 grains of Unique, OAL at about 1.15" - 1.16". I agree that they won't feel much different than the 147s, but your gun might like them better. 3.7 grains of Unique under a 147 grain Precision coated bullet ran ~930 fps from my Beretta 92, and function was 100%.

If you've just got a couple hundred left and don't want to mess with them, PM or email me (address in profile) and let me know what you want for them. I need some for a project I'm working on.