Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Budget barrel

speedy169

I am setting up newest glock for a little limited play, and was trying to see how budget minded I could be with this. So a new barrel so I can shoot some lead is in order. I am not a fan of the LW barrel have had bad experiances and so have friends but this is not a bash thread so please DO NOT turn it into one. My two choices that I am looking at is KKM or Storm Lake. I have a KKM in my other gun and love it. It is a true drop in and shoots great, but is it worth the extra money over the Storm Lake? I have heard they are just as good but have never tried one. What say ye BE Board?

I shot a lot of lead out of stock Glock barrels before I got on the internet and found out it causes global warming and Santa to stay home. 9mm and 40. The key is good bullets and powder that isn't wicked hot. With hard bullets that are at least .002" over bore size and Unique I was able to shoot thousands with no leading at all in the bore.

I'd be more concerned about my blood lead level if shooting lots of all lead bullets.

I known more than several active shooters with mild to serious-high blood lead levels.

Maybe it comes from running the shot timer too often at indoor ranges? Maybe from not washing hands before eating and after shooting? Casting your own bullets?

I really dont know.......but it has to be shooting related.

BB

I'd be more concerned about my blood lead level if shooting lots of all lead bullets.

I known more than several active shooters with mild to serious-high blood lead levels.

Maybe it comes from running the shot timer too often at indoor ranges? Maybe from not washing hands before eating and after shooting? Casting your own bullets?

[thread drift]

Well, a few years ago, both Bill Seevers and Chris Keen encountered this problem. Bill created a Tuesday league at an indoor range, and since Bill and Chris were the only two RO's at the time, they did the lions share of running people. As it turned out, the range was not filtering out the air downrange from the stalls, and they both became quite poisoned.

Shooting indoors a lot, imho, is not a great idea without a good respirator and excellent hygiene (lead wipes, washing clothes and shoes immediately, NEVER smoking while shooting, lead wipes).

[/thread drift]

speedy, can you really obtain good quality cast bullets cheaper then molly bullets from, say, Precision?

This is all going into a G22. It will see nothing but lead. I also want the aftermarket barrel for the fully supported chamber because I will be running major PF.

As for budget:

Used G22 W/ 2 mags(cop trade in) - $350

Used Stainless Guide rod (Gun Show Find) - $5

G35 takeoff sites from fellow shooter - Free

THE Mag button (New) - $25

New LW 3.5 trigger and .25 trigger job - $16

New Springs through out (Wolf trigger kit and ISMI Recoil) - $20

One extra new mag - $16

Total to date - $432

Still needed:

Mag base pads X3 (Would like Aredondo SP?)

Mag well (would like Dawson Ice Heavy)

Barrel (wish I could find a used one)

Holster (would like Bladtech DOH)

Belt (would like CR Speed)

Mag pouches X3 (would like CR Speed)

Ammo

Ammo

Ammo

This is not my blaster of choice at the moment so I have the time to look for and wait for good deals. I was trying to see how cheap I could get into limited. I thought it would be a good example for up in coming shooters that want to make a jump to limited.

Later

Edited by speedy169

speedy, can you really obtain good quality cast bullets cheaper then molly bullets from, say, Precision?

I have been shooting Missouri Bullets. He gives the club a little discount because we buy alot of bullets from him. They work really well in G35 with KKM and my 1911's. I use Bullseye and American select powders and they seem to be somewhat clean. I just purchased some Ramshot Zip to try. I hear it is cleaner with lead.

Here is a link to the bullets. http://www.missouribullet.com/

He is just down the road from me so I go buy and pick them up when I need them and he sponsors a stage or two at our local club matchs alos. Super guy to deal with.

Edited by speedy169

I used to shoot for Oregon Trail Bullets and I shot Glocks almost exclusively. All my guns eventually ended up with after market barrels but I put thousands of rounds of lead through a stock barrels. Like others have stated the key is good bullets (hard) and good gun hygiene. The Oregon Trail bullets are great but are as expensive as jacketed, I haven"t seen any good cheap lead bullets out there lately. Just shoot what you have keep it clean and wait for a deal to come along.

I know guys shooting, kkm, storm lake, barsto and jarvis. To tell you the truth they don't speak so much of accuracy differences but more of looser or tighter chambers for brass fit problems. I run a lone wolf barrel in a 35. Just my two cents i hope this helps.

I was just having a similar discussion the other day at the range (We shot a match in 6 inches of snow and bellow 0 windchill temps :D ) and I was Told KKM barels tend to be tight and that may not be good for reloading.... not sure as I am new, but I need/want a new barel and would like the input prior to making the buy....

I really dont know.......but it has to be shooting related.

BB

Lead bullets have very little to do with the lead level in your blood. The vast majority of that comes from the priming compound (lead styphnate) which gets atomized through burning and can go directly into your bloodstream through your lungs. It also gets on your hands and then you can ingest it if you don't wash your hands before eating etc. Indoor ranges with poor ventilation make this problem even worse since it just hangs in the air for you to breathe. The lead that gets melted off a bullet during firing is a very small portion of the problem. Handling/loading lead bullets isn't a big deal as long as you wash your hands.

I was just having a similar discussion the other day at the range (We shot a match in 6 inches of snow and bellow 0 windchill temps :D ) and I was Told KKM barels tend to be tight and that may not be good for reloading.... not sure as I am new, but I need/want a new barel and would like the input prior to making the buy....

If you reuse your own brass you won't have a problem with the KKM. Also, if you use an undersized resizing die or have the cases Case-Pro'd (regardless of where they came from) it won't be a problem either. The biggest problem comes with .40 brass that's been shot out of stock barrels in Glocks and a few other brands that have generous chambers to help with feeding reliability. 9mm isn't nearly as bad for some reason. R,