Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Camelback Connundrum

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You drank 24 LBS of water?!!!! We're gonna change your tagline to "Dromedary" if you keep that up.

Heh. I didn't think of it in those terms, but I guess I did. :unsure:

It was over 90 (in the shade), very humid, and we were in the sun all day. They had a paramedic on hand monitoring the group's water consumption and every time we took a break, Louis told us to make sure we were drinking a quart per hour, "no more; no less." Since I'm larger and lose water faster, I . . . extrapolated. Especially when the paramedic told me that if I passed out, I was going to wake up with tubes in my arms . . . which could interfere with finishing the class! ;)

I was drinking about a quart every 15 minutes or so. Needless to say, I made several "pit stops" during the day. On the other hand, I have traditionally had a lot of trouble in the heat. Keeping myself so hydrated that my kidneys were developing muscles helped me quite a bit! :)

Rhino,

I'm heavy(read: FAT), sweat like crazy, and drink the agua likes it's going out of style, but you've got me beat, Dude. That's incredible! You are DA MAN.

I now respectfully pick up the gauntlet.

:P:lol:

Rhino,

I'm heavy(read: FAT), sweat like crazy, and drink the agua likes it's going out of style, but you've got me beat, Dude. That's incredible! You are DA MAN.

I now respectfully pick up the gauntlet.

:P:lol:

I'm fatter, so I can drink more! :P Methinks I lose as much if not more moisture via breathing than I do from sweating.

It actually took some "conditioning" to get my body to tolerate being properly hydrated. I used to go around dehydrated all the time (based on the volume and color of my "outflow"), but I made an effort to correct that by learning to drink more often rather more at one time.

The minor problem arises when I stop exerting (and retreat to the air conditioning) and I fail to de-escalate the fluid intake! Getting up several times in the night gets old!

Oh, and I can also get a little "crampy" if I don't make sure to replace electrolytes. If I eat enough fruit and drink some orange juice every day, I'm fine potassium-wise and everyone gets enough sodium.

Methinks I lose as much if not more moisture via breathing than I do from sweating.

Actually that's a real phenomenon. I recently moved from the humid, west coast, inland into a more desert-like area and my fluid intake had to double just because I lost so much through respiration.

I have a problem with excessive intake too. If I don't work out for a day, but drink like I normally do (like a dying horse at the Last Chance watering hole), my, ahem, output shall we say....escalates noticeably.

Ahem. Insufficient "outflow" over long periods of time apparently elevate the risk of kidney stones. Trust me, you would not like either the symptoms or the short-term treatment.

Symptoms: Pain as if a red-hot, barbed, knitting needle is stabbed into your lower back, twisted and occasionally hooked up to the wall socket for some extra oomph. 10mg of morphine barely lowers the pain enough to ease your attempts at leaving fingerprints in the gurney rails.

Short-term treatment: Double full-bore IV's, coupled with a catheter the size of a garden hose to flush said miniscule speck of debris clear.

Occasionally the nurses will jam you into an MRI/Federation med scanner to see if they can spot the bastard.

Hydrate like they're going to ship Lake Superior off for cash next week.

On the other hand, it is possible to over-hydrate. Known as hyponutremia, it creates an imbalance of electrolyes (they've been diluted/washed away) and can lead to seizures and death.

It has happened, but so far only in middling-slow marathon runners. You know, the guys who jog from water station to water station and glug themselves full att each one. Six hours later, they slosh across the finish line, only to collapse and need medical attention.

The key is "slosh over the finish line." As with everything else, dose makes the poison. 24 lbs of water may be enough for Rhino, but for me it would definitely be in the sloshing region.

As with everything else, dose makes the poison. 24 lbs of water may be enough for Rhino, but for me it would definitely be in the sloshing region.

Yeah, I only had to weewee a couple of times during the day.

I drank well under two gallons today and I got a little shakey in the early afternoon. I actually got scolded for having my finger on the trigger when I was at low ready with my carbine, so that was my clue that I was little dehydrated and way too hot. About an hour later I was okay again, but I wish I'd kept up my fluid intake regimen earlier in the day.

I also make sure to replace my electrolytes . . . I get plenty of sodium (too much) and then I drink extra orange juice a couple of times during the day for the potassium.

So Eric, what did you decide about the Camelback? I'm curious because carrying a 1 1/2 liter water bottle to a 6 stage match just ain't making it! :(

Ed

I've decided to not decide for now. Everything seems like a compromise right now. If I jump, it's definitely going to be for the 100 oz model. I don't see the point of the 72 oz if you're somewhere that you can't refill it.

If you haven't purchased one already, I would ask you to look at a Hydrastorm from Blackhawk Industires. Not only do I like the product better, but much more importantly they are a supporter of the shooting sports. They were one of the sponsors at USPSA area 3. I don't know if Camelback does the same thing or not? Anyway, thats my 2 cents. If we don't support the people who give to the sport, the prize tabels are just going to get smaller. ;)

• 6 months later...

Spring and summer are coming, did you get a new one yet?

My 100 oz Omega HAWG has worked fairly well laced onto the back of my riding armor. The major drawback has been the reluctance of the full reservoir to slide into the pack. This is aggravated by the stiff plastic body armor, and perhaps by the storage space being packed with gear.

I continue to use the ancient Camelbak at shooting matches. Nobody even asked me any silly questions about it at the SMM3G.

Again I must emphasize what a huge improvement the Omega bladder is over the small-mouth bladder. Don't get one of those unless you need the NBC protection capability or whatever it is they have them for.

Spring and summer are coming, did you get a new one yet?

Nope. I almost did, but I'm still choking on the price when a water bottle at the store is $.79 and I can chuck it when it's dirty.

What can I say? I'm uncool.

• 1 month later...

I just received three new "Maximum Gear" Camelbak models, from their military/law enforcement line of products. I now realize why these models cost more than their sport/recreation equivalent models of the same name.

First, they all have heavy duty Cordura just about everywhere. They have multiple water drain holes for monsoon weather (and rafting, etc.) They have the Hydrolink system and an on-off lever for the bite valve. The hoses are insulated.

The MULE model is quite a bit different than the sport model I've got on my motorcycle body armor. Instead of a narrow slit opening to access the reservoir, it has a large zippered opening.

I have 4 year old 70oz Rogue, and would suggest the one with the external fill cap and the 100oz size.... I like the bite valve on the CamelBak better than the ones from Blackhawk.... regards

We carry only the Law Enforcement / Military line of CamelBak products. There is a very clear difference in quality and construction of this line vs. the standard civilian / consumer product line. Unfortunately, there is some product name cross over usage between the 2 lines. Please be aware of the differences when shopping for these items. It is well worth the extra amount of money to purchase the le / military line. Normally, when you see these items for cheap prices at Popular or other sporting goods stores, it is the civilian line.

I just took my "sport" MULE out to the range yesterday after taking if off my body armor. It's much easier to replace the bladder when the Camelbak isn't laced up tight to the hard plastic armor.

Nearly full of 100 ounces of water and no cargo, it's very heavy. The sternum strap helps but the waist strap isn't needed.

The easier-to-fill "tactical" MULE is going on my armor and I'll wear the sport MULE to matches and for other outdoor activities.

• 8 months later...

Hi folks,

I'm going to order a Camelbak from Cactustactical soon. I'm not sure whether to get the Viper or Mule. I mostly want to use if for running in the woods and some matches. Last week I was stuck in the forrest with no water. It sucked bigtime.

I was searching for some water or even a half-used beverage :lol:

Thanks,

jj

Good call Lynn! I remember seeing a thread on this very topic in the past. I will say the same thing I said in that thread. Support the people who support our sport. I have never heard of Camelbak doing so, but I KNOW Blackhawk / Hydrastorm does.