Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What happens when you're car is moving 45 mph (or faster) and you

I have a fun thread started about your car breaking down after you pay it off

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry876719

My question stems from something I read on some car board. If you have an automatic transmission and your car turns off while traveling at 45-65mph and you put the car in nuetral while coasting to restart your engine...what happens when you put your car in gear at that speed?

I hope I don't have to find out first hand, but I figured it is one of those things that is go to know but expensive to "try".

Thanks,

Phil

I had an International power wagon, the darn accelerator would stick on it at the worst times = in highway traffic just as you were ready to slow down. Mostly it stuck when you hit the gas and it would act like a rocket until you turned off the key and let it slow down. thin the pedal would pop back up and I could turn the key back on and it would kick in again. I never hit the starter at speed though

When I was using Okie overdrive, ( coasting down a hill in neutral) when I shifted back into drive it hit low gear first. :surprise: I don't use that overdrive anymore. This happened on a 2004 Ford Ranger. YMMV. later rdd

Nothing will happen if you go from nuetral back to drive. On some of the newer smarter cars where the shifter is just a big switch and not connected to the transmission, computer won't let you break the trans, as least that's what my Tech neighbor tells me. He tells me that on new cars the switches for just about everything (lights, windows, locks, radio, gear selection, etc.) do not directly control that function. When you press the window switch your putting in a request with the conputer to roll the winodw down. If the computer says its ok the windows goes down. Same deal with the trans.

Some of the lower tech transmissions will go into first gear until the accumulator fills then second, etc. Dodge trucks with 4 speed auto's come to mind. The engine will rev with consequent engine braking before it shifts out into an appropriate gear. It is usually not very dramatic.

A '72 Ford station wagon with 429 cid will start.......and blow out the muffler.

Ask me how I know.....

Oh the fun I had in that car.....

rolling down the road, ignition off, foot down on the gas once, ignition on, BANG! As least thats how my uncle said he was doing it. Its kinda unnverinvg when you're 6 years old and the muffler suddenly blows out and the car instantly sounds like its running open pipes, especially in a 69 RoadRunner with a 440. Wait come to think of it, it wasn't that much of a difference.

LOL, I lost the alternator one night on my 76 power wagon with a BB 400. WAY late and trying to get home I would run with the lights and everything off until a car was coming, turn them on and then off again. When the battery started to get really low it would shut off and BANG when it lit back up. Blew the exhaust apart by the time I got to town. Got a buddy that was out and also up to nothing good to open up the parts store and get me an alternator. He pulled the wrong one and my battery looked like a balloon by the time I got home. Drove it into town the next day with EVERYTHING on LOL, got the right alternator and put some new 2 1/2" twice pipes on it. The pipes came out right in front of the back tires, with some 18" glass packs. Ran it hard and got it good and hot, to the car wash and jam the nozzle in the pipes to tamp the glass. That thing sounded like a million bucks after that, I really miss that truck.....

It was better at scaring old ladies and children than the truck I have now, but not by a lot LOL.

Nothing will happen if you go from nuetral back to drive. On some of the newer smarter cars where the shifter is just a big switch and not connected to the transmission, computer won't let you break the trans, as least that's what my Tech neighbor tells me. He tells me that on new cars the switches for just about everything (lights, windows, locks, radio, gear selection, etc.) do not directly control that function. When you press the window switch your putting in a request with the conputer to roll the winodw down. If the computer says its ok the windows goes down. Same deal with the trans.

Yup,I do believe thats what they've been going to.I think most of the new stuff has a Body Control Module,or something to that effect.Some makers are even using radio signals from the BCU to component for control instead of hard wires.Wild.-mike

I will warn you about one thing. If you are skipping school and out squirrel hunting with a buddy, when your at the top of a steep long hill with big deep ditches and you start coasting down it don't turn off the key and accidentally lock the steering column in your brothers Ford Ranchero. Bad things can happen.

Neutral is fine. 'R' is not.

I did it many moons ago in my 78 Mustang King Cobra. Flooring it and Shifting up from 2-1-D-N and right on up into 'R'. Silly me...lights came on, noise was heard, the car died and quietly coasted to the shoulder. The wife was not so quiet when I got home without the car.

Write 500 times. 'R' is for Reverse. 'R' is not for Race.

Yup. that is how Lexus' have worked for quite a few years. Drive by wire is what they call it at the dealer. Just about zero mechanical linkages left in the car. The cars have gotten so sophisticated and smart that they have to be designed this way. My IS250 has 6 pages of user configurable options that can be programmed. Neat car :)