Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comps for .308

B.Reid

I'm looking to purchase a comp for my LR-.308 and I'm trying to find someone with experience with these. Can anyone give me some ideas? Thanks.

IMO the onlly way to go is to buy a suppressor. Yes it costs a lot of dough and you have to pay a tax for it but after you have shot the best comp in the world and compared it with a rifle with a suppressor attached, there is nothing to compare.

I'm looking to purchase a comp for my LR-.308 and I'm trying to find someone with experience with these. Can anyone give me some ideas? Thanks.

IMO the onlly way to go is to buy a suppressor. Yes it costs a lot of dough and you have to pay a tax for it but after you have shot the best comp in the world and compared it with a rifle with a suppressor attached, there is nothing to compare.

I've got a friend whose a local supplier of those. Maybe I can get a test run on one his own personal ones. Thanks for the info.

The Benny Hill Rolling is the way to go! :cheers:

Is that Benny's new style comp? I bought one for my .223 at AREA 6 3 gun but have yet to try it. Did you have to drill a .100 hole to keep it centered while firing? I was able to shoot his and it really did shoot flat.

Bryan,

Anything with holes in it will work comp wise for an AR-10 IMO. The main thing you're fighting is "bolt slam", the .308 bolts are really heavy and most of the rifles are over-gassed resulting in a lot of felt recoil. I don't like adjustable gas blocks for AR-15's, but they are definitely worth exploring with a .308, again, IMO.

As Charles said, a suppressor will definitely smooth things out, but it'll be similar to a good muzzle break, just not as loud <_< (and a bit less expensive and not as much hassle to obtain)

Give me a buzz, I've probably got something you can try out depending on your muzzle threads.

David

Edited by dt1

Does it need to fit in Tactical? The JP tank brake works GREAT for .308. There's a lot more gas to hit the baffles. I have a 20" JP LRP-'07 with adjustable gas block, LMOS, and tank brake. Kicks harder than my .223 JP (duh) but it shoots VERY flat.

I have a Liberty Suppressor I can sell for $500. It's new and unfired. It's actually still at my gunsmiths shop. I have several cans, just haven't gotten over to pick this one up yet.

Edited by kgunz11

Not to mess with the thread “”buy a suppressor””

Who makes them?,, what does it cost? How much trouble is it to get the paper for it?

Paperwork is fairly easy, fill in the blank form, CLEO signoff, prints, photo and a $200.00 one time tax stamp. Cans run anywhere from about $200.00 for a .22lr can to several thousand. A .308 can will run in the neigborhood of $500.00-2000.00. Price depends on thread or QD, materials and the technology in the can. You'll pay more for a QD suppressor. Send me a PM if you've got other questions.

The SJC is pretty unruly in the sound dept......but thats just a good sign its working well. Quiet and the best comp can't go together in the same sentence. Unless you're one of those that will argue the suppressor is a better comp....then maybe. But the Titan works far and above better than my AAC 762 SD.

<-- has a Phantom QD .308 and Mite .22 :cheers: Cans work well, but even if you go with a titanium model that is a lot of weight to swing around on the end of your gun versus a comp.

If we're talking about cans being sound supressors, can we start calling comps "sound amplifiers"? :wacko:

ETA: doing the revocable living trust is MUCH easier than buying/transferring one personally. No fingerprints, photos, CLEO signatures, and it cuts your approval time in less than half. Did my first one persnally, then moved to a county where the CLEO wouldn't sign anything, went the trust route and haven't looked back since, 3 transfers later.

Edited by ken hebert