Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass Headstamps

Sarge

I found these headstamps in my factory reloads today. Does anyone know what they stand for and more important are these or any other obscure headstamps something to watch out for due to poor performance or safety concerns. I know what 9x19 is I just list it because it is on the headstamp.

NPA

9x19LY

nny

DNL

Geco

EDP9x19

EOP9x19

9x19CJ

ABT 9mmL

HP L7A1

nny is Wolf and I have found it to be poor for reloading. Had seven out of 20 in 22-250 that had small primer pockets. Small enough to strip the outer edge of the primer away. This caused an unpleasant side effect of setting three of those primers off. All of the wolf brass goes for scrap now.

nny is Wolf and I have found it to be poor for reloading. Had seven out of 20 in 22-250 that had small primer pockets. Small enough to strip the outer edge of the primer away. This caused an unpleasant side effect of setting three of those primers off. All of the wolf brass goes for scrap now.

Are you sure that the primer pockets weren't crimped?

Man you must be picking up my brass! I started reloading early this year, first time in years. I had about five thousand pieces of brass in an old ammo crate that came with 2nd hand press in '89-'90 I think. I have so many odd ball and dicontinued types, it can be baffling.

The ones stamped CBC, DAC, or with a star crimp dating from WWII (43-45 datestamp) have to be culled. Amazing thing is that some of my oldest brass has been just fine. Stored in our usually dry desert climate, I think it will last forever. Or at lest until I use the heck out of it.

JZ

Are you sure that the primer pockets weren't crimped?

I checked that after the first detonation. No crimp. I found that it was just VERY inconsistant. Anymore if it is not Rem Win Fed PMC or one of the other major brands it goes in the trash.

That LY is load it and leave it stuff for me. It's soft brass in my opinion and doesn't hold up well.

NNY is (now) owned by Wolf but if it's older brass it would be Privi and in my experience is very nice. The NNY I have is pre-Wolf and is very consistent. Primer pockets hold up well and the brass doesn't do some of the "odd" thing R-P brass (for example) does. On that note, easily the worst 9mm brass, IMO, is R-P. Another "great" brass for Major matches 'cuz after I load it once I never want to see it again.

Geco is german iirc and is another very high quality brass.

I've also had good results with the CJ brass.

I haven't loaded enough of the NPA to form an opinion about it and don't recall seeing the others on your list.

Oh and my opinions come from loading for Major PF for Open.

I found these headstamps in my factory reloads today. Does anyone know what they stand for and more important are these or any other obscure headstamps something to watch out for due to poor performance or safety concerns. I know what 9x19 is I just list it because it is on the headstamp.

NPA

9x19LY

nny

DNL

Geco

EDP9x19

EOP9x19

9x19CJ

ABT 9mmL

HP L7A1

I only recognize a couple of these headstampls and I'm with Chris...I'd toss it all. If it looks in good shape some of it might be okay for loading minor PF, but I'd use it for practice only. For 9mm Open I'm pretty picky about brass...I wouldn't load any of those b/c of safety considerations.

I don't think that "nny" is now owned by Wolf,which is a former State-owned Russki factory producing military ammo but is a Jugoslav factory run by the Jugos;"nny" is in fact "ppj" written in cyrillic which stands for "Prvi Partizan Jugosomething"."ppy" brass is nice and is more and more used in Europe by factory reloaders making match-grade pistol ammo (Italy's 20yo Paolo Montera,who made it to second place in the Junior Standard in Bali use this brass and he's very picky).On the other hand,"ppy" factory used to be crap,with an un-beaten record of at least sixty-five malfunctions outta of a box of fifty rounds during the Jugoslav war years....probably due to sabotage!After having experimented myself such kind of "records" I've steered the hell clear from them cartridges since the mid 90s,but looks like they perform decently now!

Keep the brass,and if you do have "ppy" brass which is nikel-plated keep it and use it by any means..it's great!

Merry Xmas

Manu

Edited by Canuck63

I don't think that "nny" is now owned by Wolf,which is a former State-owned Russki factory producing military ammo but is a Jugoslav factory run by the Jugos;"nny" is in fact "ppj" written in cyrillic which stands for "Prvi Partizan Jugosomething"."ppy" brass is nice and is more and more used in Europe by factory reloaders making match-grade pistol ammo (Italy's 20yo Paolo Montera,who made it to second place in the Junior Standard in Bali use this brass and he's very picky).On the other hand,"ppy" factory used to be crap,with an un-beaten record of at least sixty-five malfunctions outta of a box of fifty rounds during the Jugoslav war years....probably due to sabotage!After having experimented myself such kind of "records" I've steered the hell clear from them cartridges since the mid 90s,but looks like they perform decently now!

Keep the brass,and if you do have "ppy" brass which is nikel-plated keep it and use it by any means..it's great!

Merry Xmas

Manu

The nny brass that I had was about a year ago. I bought two boxes of Wolf gold (brass cases) in 22-250 as they were very inexpensive. Thought that it would be decent plinking ammo and would have the brass to loas to boot. The headstamp that was on the rounds that came out of the wolf box read nny. They may be using someone elses brass.

I have only loaded Winchester, Federal, Remington,Starline brass for my 9mm major gun since I received it in June. With no failures, I'll continue to cull the rest.

Are inconsistent primer pockets the main reason for not using all the other headstamps??

Merry Xmas

Manu

The nny brass that I had was about a year ago. I bought two boxes of Wolf gold (brass cases) in 22-250 as they were very inexpensive. Thought that it would be decent plinking ammo and would have the brass to loas to boot. The headstamp that was on the rounds that came out of the wolf box read nny. They may be using someone elses brass.

I wasn't aware of Wolf ammo with brass cases..marked ppy to boot!In Italy we only have Wolf ammo with grey laquered steel cases.If this is the case (pun not intended!) I think that Wolf (or whatever its Arsenal number) has really acquired ppy or that there's a "joint venture" between the two......I opt for the first possibility!

Cheers

Manu