Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading bench dimension?

dand38s

I am trying to build a new reloading bench in a walk in closet. My wife took over my doghouse for her hobby. It will be a L shaped bench. 43 1/2 X 61 1/2 along the back side of the bench. My question is how deep should I make the surface? I was thinking 2 foot, but that really cuts a lot of room out of the area that I have. I am trying to use this space for a Dillon 650 with case feeder, a Square Deal B and a RCBS Rock Chucker single stage press plus a powder dispenser and scale.

What kind of depth should I use to achieve the maximum use of this space? I reload for IPSC and also High Power shooting, plus just recreational shooting. So I need to be flexible with the bench use.

If you're only going to be using one press at a time, I would consider mounting them so that you can swap then quickly and easily. I have my press, and now my Dillon swager and soon-to-be-mounted shotgun shell press, mounted to a piece of 2x12 with t-nuts countersunk underneath so that I can remove them easily by just unbolting from the top. I also have the whole board bolted to the countertop with eye bolts so it can be removed and even C-clamped to another surface if take it elsewhere. I would consider mounting each of the presses on their own piece of board that you can swap them out of the primary workspace.

Not a recent pic, as I have switched to a longer board to also mount the other stuff, but it illustrates the idea:

http://themxtrack.com/ReloadBench.jpg

Perhaps more important than depth is the thickness of the bench top. The more secure a progressive press is, the less trouble you will have using it. My bench is made from two pieces of 3/4 plywood glued and screwed together with a piece of 1/4 hardboard on top. Beneath the press I mounted a 1/4 steel plate with screw holes drilled through. The whole bench is anchored to the wall.

You can build a bench too flimsy, but you can't build one too strong! :cheers:

My bench is in a corner in the garage. It is 48" wide, 12" deep, and 36" high. I do have a Dillon 650 with case feeder and a Lee Loadmaster permanently mounted on it. It has enough space for everything. The only thing I prefer to have in a similar bench next to this one is my scale, notes, the caliper and a few other small things. It works pretty well.

post-11284-1229016292_thumb.jpg

I suspect that you can get by with a lot less depth than you think. I have a nice deep bench but the biggest waste of space is the area right behind the press. It is essentially only good for storage which I can do just as well overhead.

+1

The area behind the press, is hard to reach.. mostly wasted space back there

I still can't get all of it in the picture :D

Rick

yer crool... :D

I have a 30" deep bench, and all that happens to the space behind the press is that it gets cluttered.

One thing I did with my SDB (and I think it's doable with other Dillons) is a mount that actually makes the press stand foward of the edge of the bench a few inches. It was an accidental consequence of wanting to be able to take the press off the bench for other projects, but now I can get closer to the press standing up, and the benchtop ergonomics seem better in some way I really can't explain.

Costco/Sam's Club sell a work bench. Steel frame with a wood top. It works VERY well. If you really want to build your own, go as wide as you can on the top as it will help on the torque from the press (without going into geeky physics/statics).

Rich

I have 8-feet wide x 2-1/2 feet.

I will build a new dedicated bench this winter and it will likely be no deeper than the minimum to mount the presses. The top will slope so that all the crap that gets on the bench will drift down to a trough along the front of the bench. The other bench will become my smithy bench.

Jim

The key is efficiency and keeping it clean. I went 30" deep on mine, but many times its just more space to accumulate crap. I have mine in the garage and it seems like whenever we have company coming over my wife piles it up with the toaster oven, pots and pans, and other daily clutter she doesn't want the visitors to see. I could have gotten by with 24".

If you're only going to be using one press at a time, I would consider mounting them so that you can swap then quickly and easily. I have my press, and now my Dillon swager and soon-to-be-mounted shotgun shell press, mounted to a piece of 2x12 with t-nuts countersunk underneath so that I can remove them easily by just unbolting from the top. I also have the whole board bolted to the countertop with eye bolts so it can be removed and even C-clamped to another surface if take it elsewhere. I would consider mounting each of the presses on their own piece of board that you can swap them out of the primary workspace.

Not a recent pic, as I have switched to a longer board to also mount the other stuff, but it illustrates the idea:

http://themxtrack.com/ReloadBench.jpg

Mine is a work in progress at this time but I believe I will use this approach with my loaders. I think I will try to fabricate some type of "universal" steel mounting plate and just swap my loaders back and forth into the same location on my bench. Way to much space wasted or seldom utilized with a row of loaders eating your real estate. May have 2 stations and use one for all my Dillon stuff and another for single stage rifle presses. Rich pointed in the direction I went with Sam's Club and the butcher block work benches. I got a bare one and one with 8 drawers set up in a desk style. Hoping that will make a decent "gun smithing" bench.

I have found that any deeper than 16 to 18 inches makes things hard to reach. I load sitting down in a comfy swivel chair.

Standing, it is easier to reach further back. In a closet I would make it the minimum depth to comfortably mount the presses

and do storage overhead or out of the closet. Even a walk-in closet can get cramped when you are moving around

doing an activity.