Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many reload lead instead of FMJ or plated bullets?

hartzpad

Just getting started reloading and bought some 124 gr. Berry's plated RN 9mm to test out with 4.0 gr. of Titegroup loaded to 1.130". I know I can't use Titegroup with lead bullets as it burns too hot and will produce lots of smoke and lead the barrel, but lead bullets prices are very tempting. It doesn't cost a ton more to buy plated bullets but lead is definitely cheap and should work for most loads.

I was wondering how many people reload lead bullets? And do you use them for practice AND competition? Additionally, what powders work (less smoke) well with lead bullets in 9mm?

Edited by hartzpad

I shoot lead bullets almost exclusively and use Titegroup powder. It may cause a bit of smoke, but nothing excessive in my opinion. I have not had a problem with bad leading in my barrels either.

The difference in cost between lead and jacketed bullets is a bit more than I am willing to pay right now. I am looking at loading some jacketed .45 Colt bullets, but have not done so yet because the bullets that I want (Montana Gold) are not in stock right now.

Edited by Blueridge

I know I can't use Titegroup with lead bullets as it burns too hot and will produce lots of smoke and lead the barrel

Who told you that? I put about 15k Laser-Cast 200-gr. LSWCs over 4.7-gr. Titegroup through my Wilson 1911. At one point, just to see if I could, I put almost 5k through the gun with no cleaning, and no malfunctions. When I finally took the gun apart and cleaned it, when I looked down the bore, not only was there no leading, the barrel was so clean it looked polished. Granted, I was using Laser-Cast bullets which are harder than the hinges of Hell. YMMV with softer bullets, I suppose.

I've been using lead bullets for practice and fmj bullets

(Zero) for matches - over WW231 powder.

I'm rethinking it though, since they hit to slightly different

points of impact (and the lead smokes). Tough to practice

with bullets that hit 3" away from where the fmj's hit, and

then adjust for a match.

But, the price is awfully good for the lead - so, still thinking

about it - maybe I can do more playing and find a load that

hits the same spot on the target???

Jack

I used to use lead for practice and jacketed for matches.

with the price I use lead for everything since I load my practice ammo just like I would for a match sans chamber check.

I use Winchester superfield but I just bought some tightgroup based on price. ($20 cheaper per keg)

smoke really only bothers me in low light if then.

beware practice is contagious!

Bill W.

with the price I use lead for everything since I load my practice ammo just like I would for a match sans chamber check.

I use Winchester superfield but I just bought some tightgroup based on price. ($20 cheaper per keg)

Bill W.

Bill your PRACTICEING!!! You know that is cheating right :roflol:

ANyway I use lead in my .45 everything else gets jacketed. I can't stand smoke. Never had a big lead build up though. Moly, now I had LOTS of moly build up when I used them. If I could find a solution that made lead NOT smoke I would use them, I can't so I don't. If you like Jacketed like I do try to go in with your club and buy direct, you can save a lot but you have a to buy a lot.

Bill W.

Bill your PRACTICEING!!! You know that is cheating right :roflol:

ANyway I use lead in my .45 everything else gets jacketed. I can't stand smoke. Never had a big lead build up though. Moly, now I had LOTS of moly build up when I used them. If I could find a solution that made lead NOT smoke I would use them, I can't so I don't. If you like Jacketed like I do try to go in with your club and buy direct, you can save a lot but you have a to buy a lot.

back in the old days when everyone shot 45`s lead was just about all you would find. some of the guys and me would get together and cast all day long. when i first got my edge 40 i thought and was told to shoot nothing but jacketed bullets in it. when the prices started going up i found a box of lead 180tc and started experimenting . i wound up dropping my aol and powder charge with titegroup and found a load that rag out a hole at 25yds. the smoke i can live with. so i dug out my old casting gear and started casting 175grtc . they shoot great! i use them for matches all the time. i would even take them to a big match. i have a lot of my friends snicker about it till the scores are posted. shoot whay you want to ! your paying for them!

I have been using lead exclusively for the last two to three years. I see no reason to shoot jacketed bullets; I have no leading issues that can't be taken care of with a good cleaning.

I like WW 231 for my 9 mm and it is a little dirty, but I'm going to clean it anyway.

I shoot almost all bullets I cast myself of Wheelweight scrap plus a little tin,the water-drop to make them really hard. I shoot mostly 147gr SAECO 9mm and .45 acp Lee 200gr SWC. I try to have bullets a little on the large side so I do not encounter gas blow-by. I shoot mostly 231 and Bullseye.

CDD

I loaded up a bunch of different test loads with both Berry's 124 gr. RN, Berry's 147 gr. RN, and 125 gr. RN Lead rounds with Titegroup and WSF powders. I'm expecting the Titegroup to really smoke with the lead bullets but I'm hoping I'll like the lead with WSF so I can make the lead bullet my standard load for practice and outdoor competitions. The lead rounds are available for almost 5 cents a round locally. A few center cheaper per round than Berry's.

I shoot almost all bullets I cast myself of Wheelweight scrap plus a little tin,the water-drop to make them really hard. I shoot mostly 147gr SAECO 9mm and .45 acp Lee 200gr SWC. I try to have bullets a little on the large side so I do not encounter gas blow-by. I shoot mostly 231 and Bullseye.

CDD

I too cast and shoot all my own bullets with wheel wights .They got me to the nationals and then I bought jacketed for that match . But I would have done that same with my own bullets.

Cast in the winter shoot in the summer.

:cheers:

CDD

I too cast and shoot all my own bullets with wheel wights .They got me to the nationals and then I bought jacketed for that match . But I would have done that same with my own bullets.

Cast in the winter shoot in the summer.

:cheers:

We shoot all lead because we can get it cheap and close tothe house. About 32.00/1000 in9mm right know. We have to have the cheap bullets so we can buy the high priced vv 310

Lead all the way. I cast myself, so make bullets out of wheel weights. I also shoot my lead bullets out of a factory Glock 34 barrel with no leading problems. I shoot my reloads in competition which has cost me since I had a squib in an IDPA match, but then that just adds more excitement. I'm just to cheap to shoot factory loads!!!

I'm a cheap college student: I use lead in practice and tournaments. I started casting my own last month so I could shoot more. Only differences between practice rounds and the ones I use for matches are that I use the same headstamps and chamber check the ones headed to the match. I'm new to this, but the ammo I use isn't holding me back.