Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wheelgun Guys/gals

Chuck D

Those of us "wheelgun fanatics" out there who carry a 6 shooter for personal protection...What do you carry and why ? Who's holster do you use ?

Inquiring minds would like to know..... :)

For me.... a S&W Performance Center tuned Model 19, 2-1/2 in. barrel in a Wilson Combat open top holster w/Hogue grips and Federal 38 Special +P 125g Hydrashok rounds with an extra 12 held in (gasp) Bianchi Speed-Strips.

Unconcealed "woods" gun: 5 1/2" Ruger Redhawk, w/ 300gr. Sierras over 10g of Titegroup (an overcharge :ph34r: ) - Amazingly stable, accurate, and pleasant to shoot...

Sometimes concealed carry gun: Colt Cobra 38 spl. w/ 125 gr. Federal Nyclads (which Federal quit making :angry: )

Tightloop asked: "What is the recoil like? Mine is bad, but the pistol is heavy and that helps a bit.

Answer: Absolutely miserable! But not unmanageable & sufficiently accurate for defense. Best so far: 158 grn LWC .38 Special. Worst: Cor-Bon 110 Grn JHP.

Recently, I had some loads I made up for a 6" S&W 686 that consisted of a 125 grn TMJ over 17.5 grns of 2400. It is listed in the manuals as heading out at about 1400 FPS. Just for fun I tried a couple out of the 1 and 7/8 in barreled 340PD: Result: muzzle blast consisting of a bowling ball sized orange sphere just in front of the muzzle; very entertaining for spectators; most unpleasant for the shooter. Worst of all, this load limped over the chrono at just over 1000 FPS! I think my new carry load may be the Co-Bon 180 or 200 grn SP hunting loads. The are supposed to reach 1265 & 1200 fps, respectively, (certainly out of a longer test barrel) but if I could get 900 to 1000 out of them, I believe they would work well for defense.

I periodically carry a Dan Wesson FB715 .357 3" barrel in a Safariland 540 leather open top holster. Use a Pachmyer grip rather than the large Houge that came on the gun because it "prints." Normally load it with .38s and keep two extra speedloaders in the arm rest of my vehicle.

This is a rare fixed barrel gun made in '93-'94. Very accurate.

• 3 months later...

This is one of my carry guns as well as match gun. S&W 4" 25-5 45 Colt. I carry it in a custom ISWB holster and a cross draw field/hunting holster. I use an old Safariland holster for IPSC matches. It has Herrett stocks.

l58867.jpg

l58868.jpg

CCI 200gr HP's for defense and 270gr hard cast lead Keith style reloads for fur covered animals.

Dave in Idaho

I have carried a SW 6904 9 mm for almost 3 years in a row, and now I've ordered a revo for summer packing (I like to think ahead).

It's a Taurus model 617 7-shot .357 magnum that looks very promising and is quite cheap here in Italy, compared to other revos.

Here the description.

• 2 weeks later...

I carry 2. First is a S&W 49 in a pocket holster. Second is a 2.5" Model 66 with fully tuned action and tritium sights, .500 smooth combat trigger with stop, rubber Hogue grips relieved to properly clear spent brass and speed loaders, and soon to be MagnaPorted (final stage of my project). The 66 is usually carried in an Alessi Hideout IWB Holster which is the most comfortable I have found for this gun. The combo works well for me.

Best regards,

I carry a S&W 625-7 45 colt mountain gun, and I use the new speer 45 colt 250 gr gold dot HP ammo they just came out with. I shot some into ballistic gel and had them open up to .9 inch and they only go 820 fps out of my 4" barrel, and 740 fps out of my ruger blackhawk with a 7.5 in barrel go figure huh. it's converted to use moonclips and I use a bianchi holster.