Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Black" fiber optic insert

waktasz

I have two limited guns, bith with fiber front sights. I'd like to try them with regular black front sights. Does anyone make, or is there some product that could double for a blackout fiber optic tube that I could put in the gun? Right now I'm trying some things with some electrical tape on the optic but it's not exactly pretty, or reliable.

Edited by waktasz

Something else you could do if the sharpy doesn't get it dark enough is to take black electrical tape and put over the middle of the FO sight and then Sharpy the end holes. The Electrical tape won't let any light go through where the sharpy can sometimes.

Good call. That's what I ended up doing. It looks whoever owned this gun before me tried to ream out the hole where the fiber insert goes and now it is off center. The optic is really distracting now that its not in the middle, so I figured I'd try on both guns to black it out. I'm going to try to figure out a better way than sharpie in the future, maybe with some black wire or something, but for now this works pretty good.

Well first I did the sight black thing but then I found it. We have a broom with black plastic bristles, they

were smaller in diameter but I used one twice as long, bent it in half with some pliers to really smash it,

and when it melted, :cheers: black fiber optic !!!

Well first I did the sight black thing but then I found it. We have a broom with black plastic bristles, they

were smaller in diameter but I used one twice as long, bent it in half with some pliers to really smash it,

and when it melted, :cheers: black fiber optic !!!

Good call! I will try that.

and when it melted, black fiber optic !!!

Is there no end to human ingenuity?

Apparently not! :)

I don't know for sure but someone might make shrink wrap insulation like that used to shrink around electrical wire solder joints. Try Radio Shack. Split it length wise and slip it over the fiber and hit with a little heat.

Richard

PS: Try to fill the holes with black epoxy...I forget the brand.

Edited by chirpy