Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

building my own AR lowers

A62335

It's nice knowing that everything fits right and you can control the quality of what goes into your rifle. There just aren't any off the shelf AR's I'd want to own as they are. Having others find out you know something about it can keep you busy, but on the other hand you get to assemble a gun with their money!!!!

Feels kinda good looking at a lower and knowing that I put it together. I'll never buy another complete rifle again.

Did you "make" the lower from one of those 85% finished blanks? That's something I would like to try but would be limited to hand tools. Not cost effective if you have to buy the tools, but if successful it would be way cool.

Bill

I think the only hard part is finding someone with a wire EDM to cut the mag tunnel, but that's just me reading something on this a long time ago.

Rich

You can take a raw AR15 forging ...yes you can get them :)

All the mill work is pretty simple with the exception of the buffer tube hole and thread.( this is a setup issue)

You can hog out most of the mag well and finish it up with a file.

People have also made AR receivers from plate stock, and screwed the halves together.

If there is a will ...there is a way :cheers:

Jim

Congrats A62335! Assembling your own lower is a satisfying accomplishment. You can, and should rightfuly be, very proud of your new rifle. If you have time, let us know how it shoots.

Everyone: a big benefit of assembling your lower from parts is that you save 10% by not having to pay the federal "excise tax" on complete guns. Now, before anyone asks: "Isn't that tax evasion?" - the answer is no. Its no more tax evasion than mail-ordering a laptop from out of state and not having to pay your state's sales tax. And before you ask: "but isn't that tax supposed to support hunters and fisherman? -so shouldn't we want to pay it?" -the answer is: yes the tax was supposed to go to support hunting and fishing but no, it does not support them since our leaders in D.C. long ago subverted the tax and use it now for whatever they wish.

USMC: Les Baer still sells raw forgings with only the mag well cut out - probably by EDM (though they might have a broach). Quality work.

I think the only hard part is finding someone with a wire EDM to cut the mag tunnel, but that's just me reading something on this a long time ago.

Rich

I am very happy with the one I built as well. Another forum member sent me docs with photos and tips and minus me launching the the %$#^ing detent springs into sub-orbit a few times, it was a pleasurable experience. You really get a feel for how things work and have a ton of pride in it when you assemble it yourself.

I am very happy with the one I built as well. Another forum member sent me docs with photos and tips and minus me launching the the %$#^ing detent springs into sub-orbit a few times, it was a pleasurable experience. You really get a feel for how things work and have a ton of pride in it when you assemble it yourself.

This is why you need a good roofing nail magnet. Those little springs are a bitch to find when you launch them.

Edited by abn-rgr

Several years ago I took a class on building complete AR's at Trinidad State Junior College in Colorado. I had been wanting to take this class and saw that the instructor that summer was Derek Martin of Accuracy Speaks in Mesa, AZ. I moved my clothes and tools into my dorm room and noticed a fellow watching TV in the rec room who I thought to be Derek. I introduced myself, he stood up and extended his right hand to shake and offered me a beer with his left hand. Great class needless to say!

As luck would have it a gentleman from Brownells was taking the class also. First day he hands out goody boxes to all students from Brownells. A couple of hundred bucks worth of very necessary tools and equipment for the class. What a class act!

I put together a six hundred yard gun.Matched RR upper and lower, Kreiger 24" 1-7.7 twist barrel, Jewell 2 stage trigger (SWEET!). The gun just loves 69 grain bullets. What a hoot to shoot!

CYa,

Pat